Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Erik-the-red

285SBH Leaky Blackwater drain valve

I have a 2017 Keystone Laredo 285SBH that I purchased in August 2017.

It is still under warranty.

I bought it new and the first time I took it out was a family trip to Florida.

When we got to the campground and I went to hook up the drain hose, as I was removing the cap off the drain pipe, ****ty-pee water was coming out. I had to use a bucket to slowly drain the entire blackwater tank filled with sewage from 5 people, over three days of traveling. It was awful!

I looked online and found a twist on valve for the end of the drain pipe and purchased it locally (to save our vacation). Everytime that I drain the tank, the whole pipe is filled because of the leaky blackwater valve. I am using the RV now in Georgia for work but will be heading home soon. I plan to take it to a dealer to fix the valve. To me it feels like it does not fully close when you push the cable-operated valve to the shut position.

Has anyone heard of such a problem?

I am hoping that it will be covered under warranty. I feel that a dealer would come up with a reason why it wouldn't be covered, to save face or financial benefits with the manufacturer.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.
Erik-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
busterbrown

You probably have a faulty black tank gate valve. As a way to prevent the unwanted surprise next time a valve fails, try installing one of these onto the end of your 3" outlet waste pipe. It's worth the small investment as a backup.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
You probably have a faulty black tank gate valve. As a way to prevent the unwanted surprise next time a valve fails, try installing one of these onto the end of your 3" outlet waste pipe. It's worth the small investment as a backup.
Ummmm, he already said he has one of those.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik-the-red View Post
I have a 2017 Keystone Laredo 285SBH that I purchased in August 2017.

It is still under warranty.

I bought it new and the first time I took it out was a family trip to Florida.

When we got to the campground and I went to hook up the drain hose, as I was removing the cap off the drain pipe, ****ty-pee water was coming out. I had to use a bucket to slowly drain the entire blackwater tank filled with sewage from 5 people, over three days of traveling. It was awful!

I looked online and found a twist on valve for the end of the drain pipe and purchased it locally (to save our vacation). Everytime that I drain the tank, the whole pipe is filled because of the leaky blackwater valve. I am using the RV now in Georgia for work but will be heading home soon. I plan to take it to a dealer to fix the valve. To me it feels like it does not fully close when you push the cable-operated valve to the shut position.

Has anyone heard of such a problem?

I am hoping that it will be covered under warranty. I feel that a dealer would come up with a reason why it wouldn't be covered, to save face or financial benefits with the manufacturer.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.
Are your valves cable operated?
On our trailer, the galley tank valve acted the same way. When pushed in, it felt mushy or springy.
I cut an access door in the CoroPlast and removed the valve from the tank.
Turns out that the cable had been routed in such a tight arc that it was in a bind. Almost kinked. Straightened the kinked cable and then installed the valve 180* from how it was installed. Valve works just fine now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Check the gasket in the gate also. Sometimes they colme dislodged and need reseating.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

And or there is something blocking the valve from completely closing. To check that at home after the tank got emptied, fill with clean water. Pull and push close the valve a bunch of times. New tanks can as mind did have plastic or other stuff from the build in them or TP or other stuff jammed the valve. This trailer I filled every tank at home before going anywhere, opened/ closed the valves just to make sure and watched the stuff come out with the water.
What you got is good, I have one to, sometime in the future you may forget to close a valve and that small opening leaking can be closed without getting covered in poop. Do not ask how I know.
Yes the valves can go bad or be defective but, I bet the valve is jammed and will not close. It happens a lot, mainly the black tank due to the stuff that gets put into it.
In case you do not warn the family, this is not a home toilet. Only use RV TP, and try not to over do it without lots of water.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Emptynesters

I had the same problem, mine was used and the person I bought it from.....FORGOT to mention it. So, when I opened the cap the first time, I got all of their stored up black tank surprises! It turned out (probably the whole time they owned it) some of the electrical wiring was hanging down on the handle and wedging itself in to block the handle from closing all the way. I moved the wiring out of the way and secured it to the trailer frame so it wont be in the way again.
Emptynesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
K_N_L

I had / may still have a similar problem, haven't been out on a trip to test my repair efforts. Here was my find - http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31939
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #9
GORDON IRVIN

Keystone junk

I HAVE A KEYSTONE 2013 RAPTOR VOLICITY, I DONT KNOW IF YOUR RV IS BUILT THE SAME, BUT THE BIG PROBLEM IS THE CABLE GOING TO THE DUMP VALVES.
IN MY RV THE CABLES ARE ALMOST TWICE AS LONG THEY SHOULD BE AND LOOP UP INSIDE THE TRAILER, I ASSUME KEYSTONE USES ONE SIZE TO SAVE MONEY AND IN TIME THEY WILL GET WORSE. THE FIX IS TO SHORTEN THE CABLES, BUT THIS REQUIRES A LOT OF WORK, AND IF YOU REMOVE THE CARDBOARD BOTTOM YOU WILL REALLY SEE KEYSTONES CHEEP WORK ON EVERYTHING.
ONE OTHER THING , I OWNED A LOT OF TRAILERS AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM GETTING PLUMING AND ELECTRICAL DIAGRAMS, KEYSTONE WILL NOT GIVE THE DIAGRAMS TO YOU, THEY JUST SAY BRING IT IN $$$$$$$ they don't want you to be looking around and seeing how cheep there made.

GORDON IRVIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, water