Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
cougar high country 2013

Flickering lights

As of a few days ago my lights started flickering and what I think is the inverter or converter started making a hissing sound. I can hear the fan turning fast and that is when I am getting bright lights but then the fan slows down the lights dim. I have a 2013 cougar high country 321 RES. any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thinking maybe inverter is going bad or battery is no longer any good.
cougar high country 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
bfam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar high country 2013 View Post
As of a few days ago my lights started flickering and what I think is the inverter or converter started making a hissing sound. I can hear the fan turning fast and that is when I am getting bright lights but then the fan slows down the lights dim. I have a 2013 cougar high country 321 RES. any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thinking maybe inverter is going bad or battery is no longer any good.
Are you plugged in to shore power when this happens?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Lights are 12v, so if it is something going craps, it would be your converter. It changes 110 to 12v. An inverter changes 12v to 110 AC.

That all said, sounds like you have a converter problem. Are all the connections tight and fuses seated well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
cougar high country 2013

Yes the lights are all 12v and I was thinking is was converter as well. I forgot to water the batteries and they were pretty much dry so they probably were damaged by the time I got around to adding water. I will have the batteries tested as well . Thank you for your input
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The converter will provide 12 VDC power without batteries connected to the system. If I were you, I'd first disconnect the batteries (yes, if they were dry, they need to be load tested and specific gravity needs to be checked and even then, they may be "toast"). Once the batteries are no longer electrically connected, plug into shore power and you should have lights that do not flicker. If so, then it's your battery/batteries that are causing the problem. If the lights flicker without the batteries, then you may also have problems with your converter which might have been damaged by the "dry batteries".

Don't forget, with no battery connected, do not activate your slides, landing gear, awning motor switches. The heavy load from those devices requires a battery in the circuit to prevent overloading the converter. You'll be OK with operation of the lights, furnace and refrigerator with no battery, at least temporarily, while you're troubleshooting the system.

You may have "spread fuse sockets" or "loose terminal wiring screws" but I'd suspect that with "dry batteries" your problem is first, the batteries and possibly a "toasted converter" from being overloaded by the bad batteries.

Let us know what you find.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Ferb

I have same trailer had same problem. I replaced converter did batteries same time no more problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
cougar high country 2013

Is it difficult to replace converter? Because today when I got to trailer I noticed dim lights even though the battery is new. Guess the converter is toast. Fridge is full and I noticed when I disconnect the battery fridge and 12v lights don't work so this has to be replaced asap. Any suggestions on what kind of new converter to get? Thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
Ferb

Not hard to replace to get at it you need to remove panel above heater/furnace water heater is behind there too. Then you can get to converter just need to R&R I can’t remember what kind I bought. May have got from Keystone dealer.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
Ferb

Probably can get online for less. I think owners manual has specs.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
cougar high country 2013

Hey guys went to Mike Thompson where I bought through trailer told him what I needed he gave me WFCO 8955/50 . I gave him the vin number and he said that was the one now I drive all the way out to where my trailer is 2 hour drive in traffic and the converter on trailer is WFCO 8930/50. Does anyone know if they are compatible or should I drive back to get a refund
Old 11-11-2017, 04:16 AM   #11
CrazyCain

Had flickering lights also, no battery, hooked to shore power.. ended up being loose connection wires on my roof vent fan..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights