Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Gresh1"03

16 Keystone Carbon 35 garage floor falling through

Hello everyone,
So I have a big problem and would like to see if anyone has heard or experienced it. I just unloaded the back of the toyhauler and found the right side floor right by the dove tail really soft and flexing. All I carry is an
old golf cart. Where the wheel was parked is indented in and about a foot behind that is really soft feeling. I have only had the trailer for 18 months and bought it brand new. I have attached photos for reference and would like input on what I should do in this situation. Any input is greatly appreciated and let me know if you need more info. I have a video that shows it moving as I gently step on it but it won't upload.
Thanks,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	13557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	13558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	13559  
Gresh1"03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere that is letting water in. Maybe a tail light or clearance light? Regardless, the floor is going to need some patching/replacing. But finding the water intrusion will be priority one.

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here! I wish it was under better circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
jimthemosaicguy

You might also check the metal vents that allow vapor to escape. I left the lower one open and after a rain found a puddle of water in the middle of the floor. Also, if you have w/d connections. On my Fuzion 416 the kitchen plumbing and w/d connects to the gray water tank that I think is under the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Gresh1"03

Thanks for the replies, I am pretty sure it it not the vent area. It is basically right under the window back there so I am wondering if it could be leaking internally and going under the rubber mat. There has never been any water on the top of the rubber.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Leaks are nearly always tough to find. That window would be suspect. But, someone needs to start removing panels windows, lights etc. and find it. Remember water always runs down. When you find a problem area such as the floor panel look up. Look up walls, each wall not just the closest one. The leak is normally running in the walls not on them. Unless water has been forced inside during travel. No point in repairing the floor without fixing the source if in deed it is a leak.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Gresh1"03

I understand sir, thanks for the input. This is insane on something only 1 1/2 old. And of course I am sure I will receive no help from The manufacturer. It is hard to stomach the amount of money spent and it is having an issue like this that is gonna cost me a bunch!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Goose

Have you been underneath the rig to look at that area? May be something under there that needs to be corrected. I'm assuming aluminum studs? Maybe the thin underlayment board is not secured properly under the chloroplast? That's the only thing that came to my mind. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Gresh1"03

I have been under there and it is all sealed up with nothing that looks out of the ordinary that I can tell. I am probably just gonna have to pull the rubber mat up and see what it looks like under.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
Bigiron

Just posted in toy hauler section. I too just found some soft spots about palm sized right where my 2016 Impact 311 garage floor meets the rear frame on the right and left side. We do have two windows in the rear but I see no signs of water leaking from them and never see water during heavy rains. I am guessing it must be running down the door frame and wicking under the door threshold and the wood is drawing it in. I plan to give it the hose test to verify. Either way I plan to seal the door threshold on both sides.
The product I plan to use is Fasco 99 Stop Rot epoxy. The Fasco product is a great product and I have used it for years in many applications. I Plan to drill small holes into the end of and inject the epoxy. I am trying to avoid replacing the wood at this time and having to replace the coin flooring which is expensive and not readily available in small lengths. I will place a few jacks underneath the soft areas to put some upward pressure that will remove the slight sag as the epoxy dries. If I am not satisfied with the results, I will replace the entire piece of wood.
I'll post up my results.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Gresh1"03

Bigiron,
Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear you have what sounds to be the same issue. Please let me know how it turns out and what you find. I am curious if it could be that the floor was installed in the space between 2 frame supports and the weight in that area caused it to crack which is causing the flex. Either way I am planning to take up the diamond plate strip at the rear by the dove tail and cut into the rubber mat to try and see what the wood looks like. If I had to bet it isn't glued down like they say it should be and I should be able to pull it up with some heat. I will keep you informed on what I find when I get back from my trip and dig into it.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh1"03 View Post
Bigiron,
Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear you have what sounds to be the same issue. Please let me know how it turns out and what you find. I am curious if it could be that the floor was installed in the space between 2 frame supports and the weight in that area caused it to crack which is causing the flex. Either way I am planning to take up the diamond plate strip at the rear by the dove tail and cut into the rubber mat to try and see what the wood looks like. If I had to bet it isn't glued down like they say it should be and I should be able to pull it up with some heat. I will keep you informed on what I find when I get back from my trip and dig into it.
What you just mentioned is something that I would be thinking. You may also find that Keystone, like about everyone else building RVs has used OSB instead of plywood. Years back I had a Kountry Aire 5er and even in the '70s, found that Newmar had used that 'crap' on a then high end RV. I ended up pulling everything I could move or unscrew out and layering on a good quality weatherproof plywood. No more dips and spongy floor between cross members. That was better 'fun' then fixing the rot from a water tank leak that happened later.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Bigiron

Quote:
Bigiron,
The under belly of the toy hauler portion is not covered by Coroplast, but rather the wood is covered by the vapor barrier material, can't remember the formal name. Anyway, you can see all the supports from underneath. If at all possible try not to cut the flooring material. That diamond plate transition will most likely be glued/sealed so it takes slight prying to get it up. Also keep in mind you can get to it from the bottom. You might have to cut the vapor material, but it can be resealed with gorilla tape. I am starting at the top so the epoxy will run into the wood, but I might look underneath and see if I can inject some from the bottom as well. I can feel the soft spot underneath so I will drill a series of slam holes in the rotted area and also pas the area a few inches as well to find good wood. Good to see, well not so good, but good to see I am not the only person shocked that a 2016 trailer has rotten wood. let's compare notes to see what works. I am hoping to get into mine this coming week sometime.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
Gresh1"03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
The under belly of the toy hauler portion is not covered by Coroplast, but rather the wood is covered by the vapor barrier material, can't remember the formal name. Anyway, you can see all the supports from underneath. If at all possible try not to cut the flooring material. That diamond plate transition will most likely be glued/sealed so it takes slight prying to get it up. Also keep in mind you can get to it from the bottom. You might have to cut the vapor material, but it can be resealed with gorilla tape. I am starting at the top so the epoxy will run into the wood, but I might look underneath and see if I can inject some from the bottom as well. I can feel the soft spot underneath so I will drill a series of slam holes in the rotted area and also pas the area a few inches as well to find good wood. Good to see, well not so good, but good to see I am not the only person shocked that a 2016 trailer has rotten wood. let's compare notes to see what works. I am hoping to get into mine this coming week sometime.
Thanks Dave W....I can only hope this is the issue and not a water problem but who knows. I was hoping maybe people from Keystone monitor this site and could provide some sort of opinion or offer a way to get it checked out but by the answers I have been getting from other places, the provide no support after the 1year mark and consider the item your problem. Wishful thinking I guess!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Dave W....I can only hope this is the issue and not a water problem but who knows. I was hoping maybe people from Keystone monitor this site and could provide some sort of opinion or offer a way to get it checked out but by the answers I have been getting from other places, the provide no support after the 1year mark and consider the item your problem. Wishful thinking I guess!!!
To the best of my knowledge, NOBODY from Keystone monitors this forum, NOBODY from Keystone is a member of this forum and NOBODY from Keystone has any involvement of any kind with this forum. When the new owners of this forum took over about a year ago, we addressed the possibility of asking Keystone to "join the forum" but so far, since that conversation among the moderators, it's been "crickets" on that topic. So, nope, It's very unlikely that Keystone will be giving you any suggestions here.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No one from Keystone is on this site that we are aware of. The site is not owned by Keystone and if they are on here it would be their own decision to do so. Check the disclaimer at the bottom of every page. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but also didn't want you to get your hopes up.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
Gresh1"03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
No one from Keystone is on this site that we are aware of. The site is not owned by Keystone and if they are on here it would be their own decision to do so. Check the disclaimer at the bottom of every page. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but also didn't want you to get your hopes up.

Cool thanks for the info!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #17
Gresh1"03

Floor rot update

It has been a while since I first posted about this, the issue has continued to get worse and we have found other areas that are soft under the other window and kitchen. I have tried to contact Keystone multiple times and have finally received a reply back. They approved to pay to have a local facility take a look at it and diagnose the issue even though it is out of warranty. I can honestly say that the individuals I have been dealing with have been very helpful, polite, and seem to be willing to help. So far this has been a positive experience.

Today I brought it to the service center and after looking around for a few hours, peeling back the rubber floor mat, cutting the bottom barrier, and removing the window, we have figured out the water leak is coming from the rear windows. Although the inside and outside walls didn't have a sign of water damage, there is clear sign of water intrusion through the window upper forward seal and down the forward cutout into the floor. Unfortunately, the floor is about 50% rotted at this point and not sure what can be done. We have figured out the smell we have been smelling has been the mold, this makes me extremely upset due to my 3 young daughters sleeping right on top of it. This information will be relayed to Keystone to see what the outcome will be. I am hoping we can come to an agreement and this is a positive experience. Sorry for the length but figured it maybe helpful for others.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

You are doing fine to provide detailed feedback... thanks for posting all the details and let us know where things go!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #19
zoro58

cheap OSB gave way on first trip with bike and straps loosened causing bike to fall damaging new bike and fiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHONE PICS 223.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	14658   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHONE PICS 226.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	14659  
zoro58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
rhandyr99

Our Fuzion had 2 of these repairs... What a mess & Job it is to replace these floors. They are made of cheap particle board that rots when it gets wet! We replaced the bottom part last summer and when we got back home this summer we discovered another soft spot and had to replace 1/4 of the floor above the bottom section up to the door...(just finished yesterday) Our leak was from not being sealed from the factory above the door, the lights - we sprayed it with a water hose and it ran in like crazy... we sealed all the framing and around everything that should have been sealed at the factory.... I can post pictures if any one wants to see them...
rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, keystone