Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #21
Watt

Update on our situation: Got the trailer to the shop on June 23rd, insurance approved the estimate from the shop with damages totaling $6,200 less $100 deductible. Damage was less than we expected, but still included hot water heater, furnace, electrical, flooring and skirting.

So, six weeks later the repairs are done, including new tires all around. Tried to argue with the insurance company, but all they would allow were reimbursement for the two damaged tires. Doesn't make sense to me as I'm sure the other tires would go when we pull it back to Texas, incurring more damage. Contacted Towmax, but frankly don't plan on arguing with them!

Lessons Learned:
1. Practice changing a tire when you purchase your new trailer. It will make it easier when you're on the side of the highway with an upset wife, kids, dog, etc all offering advice.
2. Have a quality bottle jack. Our Trailer Aid was great to change the 1st tire, but would not raise the trailer high enough to install a 2nd spare we borrowed from the rv shop. Fortunately, we were at a Flying J that had a tire shop that loaned us a jack at no charge.
3. When purchasing a trailer negotiate with the dealer or purchase the best tires you can get. Don't settle for what's on the trailer without doing the research to be comfortable.
4. Learn from these bulletin boards; the advice you get is invaluable. I should have replaced the tires before the trip, but thought I could make it and change them after I got back. The had about 6,000 miles on them, but were 2 years old.

We finished the trip in KOA camping cabins and had a great time! Thanks to everyone that provided advice and suggestions.
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 AM   #22
bsmith0404

I found this statement about air pressure in the towmax warranty info very interesting.

Never over inflate your tire & never exceed the maximum pressure & load molded in the tire
sidewall & only inflate tire to maximum pressure when your tires are carrying the maximum load

And this one from the maintenance section: The maximum pressure allowed for a tire is embossed on the side wall. That's the maximum pressure when the tire is cold. It's okay for it to be over that by as much as 10 psi if tire pressure is checked while hot. However, always check air pressure when tires are cold for accurate reading. The proper pressure for your RV tire may not be the maximum tire pressure. The right pressure is determined by the weight carried by each tire on the RV and the pressure recommend by the tire manufacture for that weight.
I scanned through everything on their website and they only list the load rating at max psi. Tried to find their (tire manufacturer) recommended inflation pressures, but couldn't find anything on their website. Interesting that they recommend less than max psi for less than max loads, but DO NOT provide any guidance on what pressures should be used for lighter loads. I know other sites have this type of information, but if Towmax is going to recommend it, shouldn't they also recommend what pressures to use? I also found it interesting that they state it's OKAY to be over by as much as 10 psi while hot. I have noticed my tire pressures rise as much as 14 psi when hot. My TPMS recommend limits of 20%, which is 16 psi, before the warning alarm. After reading through the info on their website, it almost appears that they are stating the tires are ticking bombs. Any warranty claim with them would be time wasted.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
thewhitehat

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
After reading through the info on their website, it almost appears that they are stating the tires are ticking bombs. Any warranty claim with them would be time wasted.

Yep, take those suckers off and put some decent tires on before somethin' bad happens! That's what I did.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
gearhead

I just spent $1000 at Discount Tire today for 4 Maxxis tires. Trailer is 4 weeks old and went on one short shakedown cruise. I kept one blow max for spare.
I have them for sale for $70 each on my fishing forum. I wouldn't sell them to anyone on here.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
BobnLee

Just got back from Cape Charles Va. just over 1800 miles total. Put the Maxxis on last year and sure glad I did. There is enough to worry about without the pressure of bad tires. I have yet to hear one bad comment about these tires. One would almost think there must be a lot of Maxxis tire salespeople on the forum.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
gearhead

Same issues on fishing forums regarding boat trailer tires.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh....php?t=1099545
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I found this statement about air pressure in the towmax warranty info very interesting.

Never over inflate your tire & never exceed the maximum pressure & load molded in the tire
sidewall & only inflate tire to maximum pressure when your tires are carrying the maximum load

And this one from the maintenance section: The maximum pressure allowed for a tire is embossed on the side wall. That's the maximum pressure when the tire is cold. It's okay for it to be over that by as much as 10 psi if tire pressure is checked while hot. However, always check air pressure when tires are cold for accurate reading. The proper pressure for your RV tire may not be the maximum tire pressure. The right pressure is determined by the weight carried by each tire on the RV and the pressure recommend by the tire manufacture for that weight.
I scanned through everything on their website and they only list the load rating at max psi. Tried to find their (tire manufacturer) recommended inflation pressures, but couldn't find anything on their website. Interesting that they recommend less than max psi for less than max loads, but DO NOT provide any guidance on what pressures should be used for lighter loads. I know other sites have this type of information, but if Towmax is going to recommend it, shouldn't they also recommend what pressures to use? I also found it interesting that they state it's OKAY to be over by as much as 10 psi while hot. I have noticed my tire pressures rise as much as 14 psi when hot. My TPMS recommend limits of 20%, which is 16 psi, before the warning alarm. After reading through the info on their website, it almost appears that they are stating the tires are ticking bombs. Any warranty claim with them would be time wasted.
I can explain a little about what is said in the warranty information but it’s complicated.

The writer of the warranty got just as confused as the statements made in the warranty.

Tire manufacturers cannot step on the toes of vehicle manufacturers. Therefore the statements made in the warrant about load and pressures must coincide with whatever the vehicle manufacturer has recommended. The vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations are found in the vehicle owner’s manual, vehicle certification label and/or tire placard.

NHTSA regulations and tire industry standards do not recommend using less load capacity than what has been recommended by the manufacturer. Higher air pressures YES, lower air pressures NO.

The regulations for tire fitments are Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. They are written primarily for the vehicle manufacturers use and only describe minimum standards. They are often quoted out of context. The regulations only give the trailer builder the process of selection.

BA
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote