Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
ChrisM

Main slide floor replacement

The main slide floor had rotted pretty severely on end including along the outside wall of the slide. I bought a 4x10 piece of AC Fir plywood sealed it with polyurethane on the bottom, sides and about 6 inches in at the top then glued Darco to it and stapled around the perimeter on top. Was feeling pretty good about the repair until I finished screwing in the new floor and let the jack down which was holding it up and the middle of the floor and the aluminum frame it is screwed to sagged down about 1 inch from where it was. To make sure I wasn't imagining it I had someone pick up on the floor directly in the middle and sure enough it moved up about 1 inch. I started thinking that the middle of the floor was taking all the weight because of the rotted floor at the end wall and maybe it had caused the aluminum frame weld to a vertical support in the middle of the outer wall to fail. As I started to inspect the wall to determine where a vertical aluminum support would be I couldn't find any fasteners or anything indicating there was one. Then I started to wonder if the entire outer wall of the slide was just the same vacuum bonded sandwich of filon-luan-styrfoam-luan-wallpaper and the only thing holding the weight of the floor along the outside wall of the slide, and the aluminum tube it was screwed to, was the glue between the luan layers and the aluminum. Does anyone know if it's just styrofoam and glue in that outer slide wall or is there a vertical aluminum tube in there somewhere that I could fix by cutting out the interior luan and styrofoam and adding some 90 degree brackets?
Old 11-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
ChrisM

Update: There are no aluminum studs, besides the corners, which reach to the floor of a 8'6" slideout to hold the weight of the floor, sofa, and it's occupants. It's only glue between a 1.5" aluminum tube and luan.

Tags
floor, slide