Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
ibecleaningup

HELP with Mountaineer 297RKS electrical

Hello all, I hope you are finding ways to continue to enjoy your camping or at least planning for the season.

I question/problem is about the outlets in my 2004 Mountaineer 297RKS. We have had the fifth wheel for several years without any problems at all (knock on wood) until a couple months ago we were camping and it got really cold, really fast and the propane couldn’t keep up so we went to WalMart and bought an upright infrared heater. We plugged it into a GFI plug and made sure that there wasn’t any other things plugged in so it wouldn’t trip anything.

Everything went fine for a couple hours then it tripped a breaker in the panel so we just reset the breaker and didn’t plug the infrared heater back in. The next day wee realized that there were a few plugs that didn’t work even thought the breaker had been reset.

The plug that are not working are both in the kitchen counter, the plug at the bottom of the kitchen counter behind the recliner, the TV plug in the bedroom and the plug next to the closet in the bedroom as well as the ceiling fan isn’t working.
We have tried replacing the breakers, both GFI plugs, looked for any burnt wires (without finding any) and even replaced the batter (as it wasn’t holding as good of a charge as it used too).

Everything else operates perfect as it always has. I hope someone can point us in a direction or maybe even has a wiring diagram for the 5er.

Thank you and Happy Camping.

James and Kirsten McKay
ibecleaningup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Logan X

It sounds like you need to reset the GFCI outlet. All of the GFCI outlets are chained together and only one usually has the reset button. A lot of times, it is the bathroom outlet. You may need to be plugged in to shore power to reset the outlets.

I know you said you replaced the outlets but maybe you missed the outlet that has the reset button?
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
ibecleaningup

Thank you for the quick reply. I have reset the GFCI in the bathroom, in fact replaced it to be sure. Made sure it was working by plugging in a light to it and Still not getting power past it.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Iif it works up to the GFCI pug and nothing downstream you may have put the GFI plug in backwards. If your comfortable with LIVE wires here's how to make sure its in the right way.

TURN OFF power. take the gfi plug out, remove the wires. MAKE SURE THE BLACK WIRES are separated. now turn the power back on, and using an VOM, llook for voltage on one set of wires.

THAT set will be the "LINE" and the other will be the LOAD. turn the power back off and install the wires in the gfi plug making sure to put the LINE side in the LINE SLOTS.. then turn it back on and see what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecleaningup View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I have reset the GFCI in the bathroom, in fact replaced it to be sure. Made sure it was working by plugging in a light to it and Still not getting power past it.

Thank you.
So you have power to the GFI receptical but not beyond it? You can get a simple circuit tester to help with your wiring, something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...7392972&sr=8-5

In a past trailer, we found a second GFI receptacle in the pass through storage area - is there a chance you have a second one that is also bad?
Good luck with your testing!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
ibecleaningup

Hello All,
I thought I would give a LATE update. After reading what seamed like every page on the internet about RV electrical with no luck,I decided to listen to my wife. She had previously suggested that there might be a loose wire somewhere. She had read something about that happening.
I found a wire loose in the outlet behind the bedroom tv so every outlet after that was not getting power.
Thanks to all of the comments. James
Old 08-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecleaningup View Post
Hello All,
I thought I would give a LATE update. After reading what seamed like every page on the internet about RV electrical with no luck,I decided to listen to my wife. She had previously suggested that there might be a loose wire somewhere. She had read something about that happening.
I found a wire loose in the outlet behind the bedroom tv so every outlet after that was not getting power.
Thanks to all of the comments. James
Well what is that advice going to cost you?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, mount