Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

For black streaks I've been using Reliable Super Spray Cleaner for 20 years or so and have not found anything better yet. Their website is https://www.reliableproductsonline.c...-spray-cleaner I think most RV parts stores sell it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #22
Northofu1

Zep is for floors, it looks good now, wait until it yellows. Floor wax is the last thing you want to put on your vehicle. There are a boat load of videos on utube of folks trying to get it off their units. Use a good ph neutral auto mobile wash with out wax. NEVER wash in direct sunlight, says it right on the wash detergent instructions. Light compound buffing once a year, followed with a good wax. Set time aside to do this , you won't be disappointed. JMO

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #23
Spooled-up

I second the Reliable. That stuff is great! Only thing I found that wiped away black streaks - and I tried a lot of stuff.
Spooled-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #24
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Zep is for floors, it looks good now, wait until it yellows. Floor wax is the last thing you want to put on your vehicle. There are a boat load of videos on utube of folks trying to get it off their units. Use a good ph neutral auto mobile wash with out wax. NEVER wash in direct sunlight, says it right on the wash detergent instructions. Light compound buffing once a year, followed with a good wax. Set time aside to do this , you won't be disappointed. JMO

^^This X2. I debated whether to comment or not on the ZEP. This has gone around RV forums for years. There was another floor product that started this. I think they went out of business and ZEP sorta became the 2nd choice. Hopefully you will have no issues with it peeling and yellowing.
But I will say that I use Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax, but never in the sun.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Did not work on our 5er. The black marks are not what you normally would expect to see but are literally part of the gel coat and more like a dark shadow. I've tried that as well as Reliabe 1. You do need to use care with Reliable 1 as it is way strong and actually softened paint on a previous painted aluminum sided TT.
I live near Houston, on the Texas Gulf Coast. We have humidity, lots of it. We have dews so heavy they don't burn off till almost noon.
What I think is happening is the dew is on the trailer and the sun gets up and on the trailer and cooks the dew and condensation. In the mornings you can see where the framing is on the trailer and where the dew and condensation is. In the early stages of this oxidation the framing areas will remain as the original color. As time goes on the framing areas will stay darker and the other areas will get more chalky. It will eventually get to be all the same. You have to use something to remove the oxidation. I probably have $500 worth of magic potions out in my garage. Nothing was better than the 3M Marine Restorer and Wax. After using the Porter-Cable I discovered my $30 WalMart (Turtle Wax?) buffer worked almost as well and felt 20 pounds lighter. It still killed me though.
Good luck with it. I gave up.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote