Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

tub surround replacement

Anybody ever do this? The tub surround in our 2002 is pretty much shot. It is 40" w x 24" deep and 58" high. I have only found two brands; Lippert Better Bath and Specialty Recreation. Both seem to be made of ABS but neither list the thickness of the material. Some reviews for the Lippert complain they are very thin. Anyone have comments or suggestions regarding which product I should buy? Both are about the same cost at about $275 delivered freight.

Seems to be 3 ways to install. First is to use plastic rivets, Second is to to GLUE and Third is 2-sided tape. Our current unit has the plastic rivets for sure and that is where most of the cracking has occurred. Which method did you use or is there one I missed. Looking for tech help on this issue.

Thanks - wiredgeorge
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Shower surround should come with double sided tape. We use the rivets to secure it, and try to limit the number. Have you tried Trekwood parts? They carry Keystone parts, not sure how far back though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Shower surround should come with double sided tape. We use the rivets to secure it, and try to limit the number. Have you tried Trekwood parts? They carry Keystone parts, not sure how far back though.
I just found their website yesterday and was kind of excited as to all the parts they have listed for my model!!
I'm sure prices though are factory listed, but you can at least see what your looking for.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

The Trekwood site shows a Lippert enclosure which is the one the Cougar was originally fitted with. As with most RV manufacturers, they buy their components such as the tub surround. Are you suggesting two-sided tape and a few of the plastic rivets?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s what we use. Rivets come in different colors so make sure you get the one that matches closest. Takes 1/4” drill bit, and if your drilling into an exterior wall be very careful how deep you drill.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of considerations on choosing a replacement, first is weight. Some "heavier is better" styles can increase the weight of your trailer. For some applications, it may not matter, but if you're "cargo weight limited" you don't want to add another 100 pounds for a "better than the old one" tub surround. Considering the "cheap OEM" surround lasted 15 years, the extra "weight and quality" may not be a good investment....

Second, some tube adhesives (like liquid nails) will dissolve some ABS plastic compounds, so be cautious about what you use to secure the new surround to the wall. Usually they come with a roll of double sided tape or with the tape already in place, sort of a "peel and stick" system.

If it were me, I'd try to stay with the light-weight surround. It's more flexible, and easier to form on the "no longer square walls" in an older trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Even the new trailers have not so square walls LOL.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, YUP this is very true.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Here I thought RVs were precision engineered machines! hehehe

As far as weight, most all the tub surrounds go in the lower 20 lbs range and weight isn't really a consideration. The OLD Lippert in there is like tissue paper and cracked around almost all the plastic rivet insertion points even though they were not inserted too heavy handed. There is one plastic rivet right in the dead middle under the soap tray and it looks out of place. In fact all the plastic rivets are white and the surround is parchment so not really sure if they are original but anyway, it looks like this will be my first undertaking along with fixing the fan in the bath which is clattering against the brace. At this point, I will be able to use the trailer for camping. Thanks! I like the 2-sided tape and minimal use of plastic rivets. wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Looks like you've got it figured out. Those existing rivets may be OEM or they may be replacements. Different kinds of plastic compounds may start out the same color but over the years, fade differently. (Think the green carpet in old vans that started gold or the purple that started out blue)

As long as you stay with an "RV style surround" you should be OK. Some people think buying the 5/16" thick fiberglass surround at Lowe's will work because it "looks the same"...

This is one place where the fewer holes you make the better the result......

Good luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Well, it will be a week or two before I can scare up the funds anyway so all info is welcome. I had a crack in my Sunnybrook Harmony pull trailer shower surround and used a 2 part epoxy to fix it. The repair looked terrible but it was solid. More solid than the ABS I guess. The crack came at the bottom and radiated out of a plastic rivet. I think perhaps a lot of care needs given the use of those things. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #12
Steve on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Anybody ever do this? The tub surround in our 2002 is pretty much shot. It is 40" w x 24" deep and 58" high. I have only found two brands; Lippert Better Bath and Specialty Recreation. Both seem to be made of ABS but neither list the thickness of the material. Some reviews for the Lippert complain they are very thin. Anyone have comments or suggestions regarding which product I should buy? Both are about the same cost at about $275 delivered freight.

Seems to be 3 ways to install. First is to use plastic rivets, Second is to to GLUE and Third is 2-sided tape. Our current unit has the plastic rivets for sure and that is where most of the cracking has occurred. Which method did you use or is there one I missed. Looking for tech help on this issue.

Thanks - wiredgeorge
George - I found this old post and was wondering if you selected Lippert or Specialty Recreation? I’m on a boat and need a shower pan and I’m most interested in quality and durability. Weight is not a concern. I’d appreciate your thoughts?
Steve on a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve on a boat View Post
George - I found this old post and was wondering if you selected Lippert or Specialty Recreation? I’m on a boat and need a shower pan and I’m most interested in quality and durability. Weight is not a concern. I’d appreciate your thoughts?
I believe I went with Lippert. Wasn't hard to install and I didn't used the pushpin stays (rivets); just glue... bought a specialty 3M product (don't remember which) which is designed for this type application. I didn't replace the pan but it would be easy to do and I could have done so when the surround got replaced. I would put some extra bracing under any pan as they are not real thick and are sometimes not adequately braced.