Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #21
cliff

Had an intermittent no brake, no trailer. Used a small screwdriver to bend all of the pin clips from both sides of the pigtail receptical so each would clamp better to the truck. Had to do this about once a month until I replaced the pigtail. At least it got us home
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:13 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Some automobile manufacturers use Petersen trailer connectors, some use Bargman, some specify their own criteria for pin size/length, fitment specifications. Keystone uses a "private supplier" based on cheapest bid. (Probably the auto manufacturers do as well, so that's not criticism)..

What happens, at least in the past, is a "perfect storm" of too much space inside the truck connector, too small a pin in the trailer connector and enough corrosion to allow for intermittent connections to occur.

Curt builds 3 or 4 different "grades of trailer connectors", all built to different criteria, add Bargman, Petersen and "independent suppliers brands" and occasionally, they "simply don't fit together and function as intended"...

If you're having connection issues and the truck mechanics can't find an issue with the truck's computer system and cleaning/applying di-electric grease to the pins hasn't helped, you might consider buying a "quality trailer end connector" to replace the existing umbilical end on your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #23
dblanch57

My lesson with brakes

This spring when I was coming home from having the bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted I had an intermittent brake fault from the brake controller. After verifying the truck (brand new) wasn't the problem, I started looking at the trailer. I found that the wires that go inside the axle tubes had worn through the outer insulation and was shorting out. I replaced the wiring by using 14 gauge extension cord inside of flex conduit, zipped tied on top of axle tube. Replace all wire connectors with water proof connections. So far all is good.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #24
Spooled-up

What's a good waterproof connector to use for this? I soldered the connections and covered with about 4 coats of liquid electrical tape. On the passenger side where it was a single wire butt splice, I used shrink tubing with the solder that melts when heat is applied from a heat gun. With 3 or more wires being spliced, is there a good connector that is weatherproof?
Spooled-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #25
Mr Mojo

I've had this same message. It was the truck. For some reason the message came on even though I had brakes. Another person on another forum had the same problem, only difference was, he never had a trailer hooked up and he got the message.
Mr Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooled-up View Post
What's a good waterproof connector to use for this? I soldered the connections and covered with about 4 coats of liquid electrical tape. On the passenger side where it was a single wire butt splice, I used shrink tubing with the solder that melts when heat is applied from a heat gun. With 3 or more wires being spliced, is there a good connector that is weatherproof?
I'd suppose there are as many opinions about which connector is best as there are people who use connectors...

That said, I prefer SCOTCHLOCK connectors from NAPA. They have several styles for 2 wire connections and 3 wire connections. All are "filled with di-electric grease, self stripping and difficult to mess up a good connection is you're paying attention.

Here's a photo of the 3 wire connector. The 2 wire connector is similar. Most NAPA auto centers have them sitting beside the register since they are so popular. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM0...put=scotchlock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCOTCHLOCK CONNECTOR.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	28168  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

I will vouch for Scotchlok connectors. Used them for several decades in the course of business and they are extremely dependable. During that time to the present I have used them personally as well. Quick, easy, dependable and durable if used in the proper situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #28
Spooled-up

I had always heard bad things about scotchloks, but I guess the weatherproof ones are better. I’ll pick some up next time I see them.
Spooled-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

I've never heard bad things about them except from the folks that did not use/compress them properly. Heck, in the 70s 1/4 of my diet was probably Scotchlok gel as I carried them by the many bags and kept 5 or 6 in my mouth a lot just to "chomp" on them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

The ones pictured in Johns post are the ones used by the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote