Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
TJO

Bike Rack decision!

Well after reading everything on this forum and a few others and researching online I have decided on the Swagman Dispatch 2 Bike Platform Rack - 2" Hitch Mount for our Alpine 3400RS. Its meets our two bikes need and it is rated for RV 5th Wheels. Found in my research a lot of the racks are not recommended for 5th Wheels and towable trailers. Now just need to shop around and find the best price here in Canada. Maybe i will even get lucky and find a used one. The hunt is on

Cheers Tom
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

If your Alpine has a hitch receiver welded to the main trailer frame rails then that bike rack should work perfectly. If the bike rack receiver mounts to the "bumper" (as shown in one photo of this rack on Amazon) then you may be in the same situation I am. I am finding while the bike rack is RV/Fifth Wheel approved,the trailer (bumper) is not approved for the weight of my spare tire and a bike rack.
The other thread "Bike Rack" has some good discussion on this and one individual (on another thread that I can not remember the name of) showed his home made receiver he made for the front of the trailer on the king pin box. And he claimed it had no interference with his turning radius.
You may come out ahead on this deal with the welded hitch previously mentioned or a chance to save your money and get it right the first time.
For me,I am already into this with the bike rack (purchased and mounted to "bumper") so I am playing catch up on the correct and safest installation.
Since I do not yet have a camera on the back of my trailer,I do not want to be unknowingly dragging a heap of metal with 2 bikes and a spare tire that may or may not want to stay for the ride.
Just some insight.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Northofu1

I Like member WNY Bullet"s bike rack solution, and not just because we have the same trailer. Bikes stay clean and dry, no worries about weight on tongue / back bumper.
He made a rack on his dinette, when lowered.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
TJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
If your Alpine has a hitch receiver welded to the main trailer frame rails then that bike rack should work perfectly. If the bike rack receiver mounts to the "bumper" (as shown in one photo of this rack on Amazon) then you may be in the same situation I am. I am finding while the bike rack is RV/Fifth Wheel approved,the trailer (bumper) is not approved for the weight of my spare tire and a bike rack.
The other thread "Bike Rack" has some good discussion on this and one individual (on another thread that I can not remember the name of) showed his home made receiver he made for the front of the trailer on the king pin box. And he claimed it had no interference with his turning radius.
You may come out ahead on this deal with the welded hitch previously mentioned or a chance to save your money and get it right the first time.
For me,I am already into this with the bike rack (purchased and mounted to "bumper") so I am playing catch up on the correct and safest installation.
Since I do not yet have a camera on the back of my trailer,I do not want to be unknowingly dragging a heap of metal with 2 bikes and a spare tire that may or may not want to stay for the ride.
Just some insight.
RMc

Yes my trailer has a 300 lb 2" hitch factory installed by Keystone. So I should be good. I'm with you on having the camera as well. Doesn't have one yet but on my list of things to add as well as a good EMS 50 Amp. Thanks for your input. Cheers Tom
Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
TJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I Like member WNY Bullet"s bike rack solution, and not just because we have the same trailer. Bikes stay clean and dry, no worries about weight on tongue / back bumper.
He made a rack on his dinette, when lowered.
I will have to check that one out don't remember seeing it when researching. Thanks for the info. Cheers Tom

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack