Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
KingFisher

Electrical Problems

I lost power to alot of outlets yesterday, and also my ceiling fan. My gfci works, my kitchen off the gfci works. Outside of that all that works is the living room tv and the power recliners and one bedroom recp.

When I turn off the receptacle breaker I lose my tv and chairs. Turn it back on and have them back but the others except the gfci's don't work.

Makes no sense. All breakers are in the correct position, none are tripped. I've hunted all over for another gfci but find none.

2019 montana high country 384br.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Tbos

Did you check outside and the basement storage for a GFCI? If so and there aren’t any I’m not sure where to look next. Maybe there is a loose connection in the box.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

It's very common for the outlets to be "daisy chained" and for the wires to pushed in to the connectors on the outlet vs using the screw terminals. The only way to diagnose and correct it is to remove every outlet, including working ones, and check the integrity of the connections.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's very common for the outlets to be "daisy chained" and for the wires to pushed in to the connectors on the outlet vs using the screw terminals. The only way to diagnose and correct it is to remove every outlet, including working ones, and check the integrity of the connections.
Bingo.

Called the dealer and talked to a service tech and here's what I found out.

It's common for the ceiling fan to be wired in with the non gfci receptacles. There are no junction boxes in the trailer anywhere, just daisy chained from one recp to the next until you reach the end one. I have to pull each recp and check them until I find the disconnect. The recp that I thought was the culprit is at the end of the chain so that isn't the one. I've pulled 2 so far. There are 7 total.
I'm home for labor day weekend but when I get back to the trailer I'll start doing this.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

May not be a bad idea to go beyond fixing it when you find it and still check them all. If one has come loose there may be others on the verge. Good luck and enjoy your weekend!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Local150

Interested in what you find
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Start with the one downstream from the first working outlet nearest your power converter. The outlets have the wires pushed into blades and electricity vibrates and the wires can come out. You might want to shut off A/C while you do this. The blades in the recepticle connect to the contacts in the outlet and are used because the installer doesn't have to strip wire or screw anything... very quick to install. Same type affair is used in mobile homes and for the same reason. Minimize install time.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Bingo.

Called the dealer and talked to a service tech and here's what I found out.

It's common for the ceiling fan to be wired in with the non gfci receptacles. There are no junction boxes in the trailer anywhere, just daisy chained from one recp to the next until you reach the end one. I have to pull each recp and check them until I find the disconnect. The recp that I thought was the culprit is at the end of the chain so that isn't the one. I've pulled 2 so far. There are 7 total.
I'm home for labor day weekend but when I get back to the trailer I'll start doing this.
Did you check behind the fridge.. that plug is usually a GFI
Old 09-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Did you check behind the fridge.. that plug is usually a GFI
Yes.

The receptacles that are dead are on a different breaker than the gfci receptacles anyway though.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
KingFisher

Fixed this a few days ago but haven't had time to get out the laptop. There was a disconnect in the fan switch which killed the fan and all the receptacles.

Tags
electrical, electrical problem, electrical problems