Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
autoxtech

traveling 4000 miles what to check?

ok my 2008 cougar 300 srx will be traveling from richmond va to las vegas and then around the grand circle and back to richmond va. So far , i have replaced the floor in my slide because the slide was not moving properly. then, i removed all the brakes , cleaned and adjusted them. repacked the wheel bearing, checked all the lights , performed a state inspection to be legal, checked the tires , balanced all the tires, which are only 6 months old and aired to 55 psi. I'm going to clean out the tanks this weekend when i dewinterize it , with bleach, , fill the propane tanks, check the water heater and ac, add another spare tire to the back so i will have 2 spares. cleaned and lubed the hitch assembly. plus performed maintenance on the generator. thanks for the help.
autoxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Frank G

Sounds like you have all the bases covered, take your time, have fun and do a check list every morning and a mini check at every stop. I would do a TPMS system on the trailer tires, after checking them every day for a week you will have to air them back up.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Wise man once said: check your credit card for a high limit and a low balance. Other than that just check your mirrors as you saunter down the road with a big grin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
notanlines

Chuckster almost had it right....make that plural; credit CARDS!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you've made good progress on getting ready. Checking and double checking is always very good....the most irrelevant things jump up and bite you.

I didn't see the weight of the trailer or the tires on it. 55 psi. is a pressure I don't see a lot....are they up to task. You ARE heading out on a pretty good trip if you've not done so in the past. TPMS for the trailer is also and excellent idea if you don't have one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Just to follow up the last post. ST (trailer tires) are to be at max psi per the tire makers. Different than your car tires where you might adjust the psi for a smoother ride. I am sure you can read up on them from any tire co. I agree you got the most important stuff covered, wheel bearings, brakes and tires. The unknowing RVers look at tire tread wear for replacement. Not knowing they rot out if used or not at all around in 5 years. Have a new tire spare or even two mounted up and ready.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
chartrand

A few adds,
* check the roof and perform any needed maintenance.
* check you sidewalls for any locations that need new silicone. Like around the lights, hatch doors, the slide (I have to redo caulk at the top part of where my slide goes in this week as it’s cracking and pulling away some now).
* fresh batteries in all the remotes
* service any rubber seals and gaskets
* service any of the slid gears (you probably already did this when you replaced your slides floor)
* wash and a fresh coat of wax.

Sounds like it’s going to be an awesome trip!
Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
Barbell

Maybe you covered it but I did not see a mention of torquing your lug nuts. Anytime the wheels have been off the rig, the lugs must be re-torqued before leaving and periodically during the trip. Only thing worse than a blown tire is losing a tire and wheel at speed.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
travelin texans

Don't forget the surge protector/EMS & a water pressure "regulator".
With temps we've had in southern Arizona the past week you won't need to take up space with coats.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
RK1978

Be sure to check out your truck as well. I had a tread separate on my LR tire on I40 east of Amarillo at about 6 AM and that is more excitement than we want. Tires looked good, pressure at 80 but when it let go it was all at once and as loud as having one blow on my semi. Be sure you have tools and multiple flashlights and/or headlamps.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote