Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #21
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Every page has an ad on the right hand side; in fact two of them, of some guy holding a dead rat. Maybe start checking the images advertisers use as I am sick of looking at the rats. Probably the only one who has chased mice all over my camper recently but the rats traumatize me!
Your getting those ads because you've searched, talked, posted something about them. It's called AdSense. We are not all getting them. Just you.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
cenders

Quote:
Every page has an ad on the right hand side; in fact two of them, of some guy holding a dead rat. Maybe start checking the images advertisers use as I am sick of looking at the rats. Probably the only one who has chased mice all over my camper recently but the rats traumatize me!
The website itself doesn't decide which ads you see... they only get paid to provide the space. The advertising agency decides which ads to show you and there are a number of different algorithms it'll use.

For example, if you let the Instagram app on your smartphone have access to your microphone (camera), it will listen in and show you relevant ads based on conversations you are having.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #23
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post

For example, if you let the Instagram app on your smartphone have access to your microphone (camera), it will listen in and show you relevant ads based on conversations you are having.
Because my company is requiring us to work from home, and I'm in information technology and we have on-line meetings all the time, we were recently required to take a "compliance" class (on line), about the dangers of having your Smart Phones and Alexa's near you when we are on our company meetings because discussing anything could (and is) captured by these devices and anyone could be listening on the other end. The class went even farther and addressed the same dangers with Smart Televisons, refrigerators, even robotic sweepers, and home prevention services that use the Internet to communicate with the device and you. The list was extensive. So, my conspiracy theory I've been warning about for the last 10 years is really true! Big brother IS listening to you.

So, when it comes to the ad's popping up on web sites, like this one, or any other, it should be no surprise. The "system" is capturing absolutely every thing you are doing on your computer and phone, recording conversations, and analyzing evrything you do, if done with electronics. There are massive, massive server farms where hundreds of people are monitoring all our activities on the internet, singling out those activities when certain "code words" and used.

No wonder, you are seeing the ads you see. It's all being targeted based on your internet activity.... and this is only the upfront results that is obvious. Underneath, you are being monitored every second by some of the most advanced and most bizarre techs you can ever imagine. It's not a"conspiracy" any longer. It's FACT and no longer hidden.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
Janet H
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
...There are massive, massive server farms where hundreds of people are monitoring all our activities on the internet, singling out those activities when certain "code words" and used.

Ok here goes:

Chocolate
Tall Trees,
single malt scotch
New Tires
Crackling fire
More chocolate

let's see what pops up

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
notanlines

Janet, Janet, Janet, we seemed to have left out BEER!, BEER, BEER! And since this is a family oriented site we'll let it go at that. (Well, maybe Smirnoff Blue 100 and pink grapefruit juice...)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Got really scared when the word REFRIGERATOR was mentioned. I honestly don't see ANY link between the ads and my internet surfing or shopping. I don't have a FB or Instogrammy or any of that stuff.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #27
Janet H
Site Team

This is not working. I see fitbit ads and ads for cheese now on the same page... that just seems wrong

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Old 09-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #28
WDPatterson

Quote:
Am I the only one that sees this type stuff?
Change your browser. Try the Brave browser. Use DuckDuckGo for your search engine.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #29
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
This is not working. I see fitbit ads and ads for cheese now on the same page... that just seems wrong

That's really funny, I am going with these code words...

Pizza
Bourbon
Pie
German Shepherds

Fitbit ads and Dog Leashes??

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

I don't want to end up like George so I'm not even going to mention Mr Disney's little friend Micky.

Here goes:
Bouncy
Racey
Fast
Nature

I'm guessing if it's keyword generated I should see ads for Baja racing or something I shouldn't look at.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't want to end up like George so I'm not even going to mention Mr Disney's little friend Micky.

Here goes:
Bouncy
Racey
Fast
Nature

I'm guessing if it's keyword generated I should see ads for Baja racing or something I shouldn't look at.
I would have expected "those four words" from Jim (notanlines), but not from you, Marshall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would have expected "those four words" from Jim (notanlines), but not from you, Marshall.....
Sorry about that. My spelling error of "test" yesterday was a bed influence!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
notanlines

I haven’t been so offended since Northofyou’s post a couple days ago!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #34
Janet H
Site Team

OK - better. Now I'm seeing avengers movie ads and trailer hitches. We're making progress.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's just a strategy to get to serve you the rat ads again later.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #36
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Demorats often popup on the left side of your screen.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #37
Harried Harry

Oh well. If the ads keep showing up, I'll just have to block the PC and start reading some of my books or (shudder: go start working on my trailer and camper to fix the broken parts.) I don't want to work anymore but you all are forcing me into it.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote