Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Both sprockets on my past Bullet slides were slightly cocked. I thought that was not right and talked to a mobile RV tech I trust , he said they are supposed to be that way. It has to do with the deflection (slightly loose) of the chain and limiting the chance of derailment.
That's not the area is was referencing but rather out at the idler. Har to tell from that pic as it's so far away when you can only zoom in so much. In looking at it again, oit looks like one hell of a bow in the ceiling over that slide as well. My guess there's a bad roof leak that most likely into that wall as well.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #22
Campermike

Op, remove the trim and take a look and place that picture on here. Then we may have more ideas on how to help. The second video I posted will likely help getting the trim off... My 2013 was almost just like it.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
CamronL20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuhn View Post
If your slide was jerking coming in it maybe your gear box attached to the motor. A while back there was a problem with the gears breaking causing slide to bind up.
Yes it sounds like the gears are binding up and the slide stops working.

To answer some of your questions:
2016 Cougar 30RLI

No I have never done or had any maintenance or issues with the trailer since I’ve owned it.
I can’t look under because it’s completely covered. Nothing looks broken with the cables, pulleys.
Also that wood piece that’s sticking out isn’t interfering in any way.
I’ll try and do the YouTube thing so everyone can see and here for themselves

Thanks everyone. It’s hard to explain in words exactly what’s happening.
CamronL20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #24
CamronL20

Ok here’s my video!
Hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/itWjQWG5a0o
Old 01-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronL20 View Post
Ok here’s my video!
Hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/itWjQWG5a0o
here’s the link Easier to get to

Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #26
Northofu1

Definitely something binding it.
Seals, wear bar, and Marshall's theory of water leak are all feasible.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #27
Campermike

And getting the trim and covers off will be needed both to figure out the issue and ultimately fix it. Check out the second video I posted and possibly the first as well since they talk through some of that. Also check for something jammed under the floor... I have had a flashlight jam in there and bind it. I think that might be why my driveshaft broke.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

I've had cable slides do many things but never made that noise. Sounds like wood being put into a bind either by the slide enclosure hitting the ceiling, edges, bottom or the slide twisting enough to make the wooden structure creak/groan. Does the slide come in evenly on both ends? Is it hitting the ceiling (sure looks like water damage to the ceiling)?

It takes 2 people but you can pull the seal flap down on the bottom and watch the bottom running over the wear bar while someone operates the slide from inside...unless you have a remote then you can do it yourself.

I've had ripped up darco, seals, maladjustment and dog toys bind a slide but they've never creaked like that. Possibly something is hanging on one end causing the slide to twist but I didn't see it in the video and it should be visible. Is it out of square in the hole (thinking off the top of my head)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #29
CamronL20

Ok I’m glad you all got to see and hear what is going on. I will definitely check if there’s something under the floor stopping it form going in. It’s just a pain to inspect anything because that’s my main slide that if not open I can’t even access the whole trailer. I’ll do my best tho. No there’s no water damage at all. I live in Reno NV so it barely rains or snows here.

This is seeming like it’s going to be out of my skill range, so would anyone have a rough estimate of how much this is going to cost to fix. I know that’s kind of a stupid question, but you guys are knowledgeable as **** so it’s worth a shot to ask!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronL20 View Post
Ok I’m glad you all got to see and hear what is going on. I will definitely check if there’s something under the floor stopping it form going in. It’s just a pain to inspect anything because that’s my main slide that if not open I can’t even access the whole trailer. I’ll do my best tho. No there’s no water damage at all. I live in Reno NV so it barely rains or snows here.

This is seeming like it’s going to be out of my skill range, so would anyone have a rough estimate of how much this is going to cost to fix. I know that’s kind of a stupid question, but you guys are knowledgeable as **** so it’s worth a shot to ask!

Camron are you living in the trailer? Even if you are you can arrange things to move it in and out and find the noise. It sounds like the noise is "big" enough that you can pinpoint the general area to help narrow the search for the issue. For most of it you only need a flashlight and maybe a step stool.

I've heard the noise in that video many times and it's always been 2 pieces of wooden material being pressed into each other as they move causing stress between them. Could be swelling, alignment or ?? I'm thinking with that level of noise that you should be able to narrow down the spot, or close, in 5 minutes or so. As far as having it done, goes back to my original question; are you living in it or ? Don't know about Reno but shop rates in my area of TX are around $150 hr. and they go by a book similar to an auto shop manual that stipulates the number of hrs to fix xyz. Adjustment might be only $300....then figure up. Depending on what it is the cost could be thousands. And, the downside is that some of those very expensive repairs at the shop can be done by the owner at a fraction of the cost.

I know you think this might be beyond your skill set but an RV almost requires the owner to be "handy" and versed in many things or they can get to be very expensive very quickly. See if you can narrow it down a bit, there are lots of folks here that can probably walk you through anything you run into - you just have to set your mind to it, roll up the sleeves and "get your toes wet". Good luck and let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide