Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
CrazyCain

slides and 6 months of living in it

Hello all, been awhile since i posted on here. Still got the Hideout 2017 177LHS and have used it pretty much every other weekend all year. Great little trailer, zero problems with it except the occasional fit and trim stuff.

My DW and I are hitting the retirement life next spring or so and plan on "full timing" in a 5th wheel beginning later in the year in Myrtle Beach SC for the winter ( 2024) then back to Michigan in the spring..

Early planning and lots of questions. One question that i have not found a good answer to is, should you put the slide(s) in and then out every once in awhile to keep them in shape and since we would be on the ocean, rust prevention of any kind?

Go easy on me

Tom

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Where you are, time spent with the slides open etc. plays a part in all of it. Some recommendations say to pull the slides in periodically; depending on what you are doing that may or may not be feasible. We travel and spend weeks/months at a time in one place...I don't worry about pulling the slides in and out every week/month at all. Done it for years without any problems and we stay on the coast. It makes no sense to me to set up then completely dismantle things to pull the slides in/out. I will say mine are cable slides and all the hardware is inside (other than cables). I had the ram slides years ago but never thought about it or considered it back then....but I didn't sit in one place for extended periods like we do now.

Going 5th wheel....I'm sure you're looking at upgrading the 1500?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:20 PM   #3
CrazyCain

Danny, Thanks for the input, many things to consider making a big jump like this!!

Going 5th wheel....I'm sure you're looking at upgrading the 1500? Oh, Absolutely!!!!

l

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:38 AM   #4
ChuckS

Depending on the slide type.. if Hydraulic then you just really need to cycle those slides once a month AND also keep the hydraulic cylinder rod ends coated with Dry silicone spray OR THEY WILL RUST.

If you dont cycle the hydraulic style slides that fluid sits stagnant in the lines and cylinders and its just not a good practice to not cycle them monthly

If the leveling system is also hydraulic then you need to keep exposed cylinder rod ends sprayed with PTFE silicone spray and ALSO cycle that system as well

** DO NOT consider any fifth wheel with the Equalizer Hydraulic system installed.. It is less than stellar

** Lippert six point hydraulic system is excellent..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #5
dutchmensport

In my previous camper (travel trailer) I found that when the slides were either in or out for an extended period, the rubber seals stuck to the side of trailer. More so, when they were "in". After time, the rubber seals started breaking or tearing. There was black rubber stuck to the outside of the trailer. We never had any leaks around the slides, but it was disappointing to see the rubber seals deteriorate that way.

That would be the only down-side to keeping slides in or out for any length of time, the rubber may stick to the sides. You want to keep the rubber flexible and soft, not stif and sticky, especially in hot sun.

My current fifth wheel, absolutely no issues with the slide seals. Five years going now and all is well. But, the slides get moved a lot too.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:29 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
In my previous camper (travel trailer) I found that when the slides were either in or out for an extended period, the rubber seals stuck to the side of trailer. More so, when they were "in". After time, the rubber seals started breaking or tearing. There was black rubber stuck to the outside of the trailer. We never had any leaks around the slides, but it was disappointing to see the rubber seals deteriorate that way.

That would be the only down-side to keeping slides in or out for any length of time, the rubber may stick to the sides. You want to keep the rubber flexible and soft, not stif and sticky, especially in hot sun.

My current fifth wheel, absolutely no issues with the slide seals. Five years going now and all is well. But, the slides get moved a lot too.

The above happened to me years ago. Began using 303 on the seals then waxing the slide top and they have been slipping and sliding since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide