Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
FRANANDTOMMY

Thumbs up Possible buyer of a Laredo

My husband and I currently have a 2001 26" Prowler by Fleetwood and saw a 2010 29" Laredo at an RV show this past sunday. We are avid NASCAR fans and live in Florida, so we go to the February Daytona races and the November Homestead-Miami race. We also go to Daytona in January for 4 days to Fan Fest. We camp in a State park for 12 days in February(we get senior rates) for Daytona and a county park in November for Homestead.
This will be our third camper as a married couple.
We have more than enough camping equipment- probably more than what we need. so all we are looking for is a newer camper.
We are very impressed with the Laredo... we are checking to see if our Ford F-150 will be able to tow the camper.
I have read some of the postings and find this a very informative forum.
Will let you know if we decide to buy.........
FRANANDTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
KanTC

Welcome FRANANDTOMMY!

We have a 2010 Laredo 5th wheel (purchased new) & have been extremely pleased with it. There's also
several other Laredo owners/members here if you have specific questions. In reference to your F-150
and whether or not it's a good match for the trailer -- here's the specs page for the 2010 Laredo's,
from the manufacturer website:

http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...redo&year=2010

You might also try the forum search feature, using the word 'Laredo' and the model #.

Happy shopping,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
FRANANDTOMMY

We'll know on friday

taking the Laredo for a test drive on Friday... we filled out all our paperwork today.
Not sure if we are going to get the 5 year extended warranty. It does seem like a great deal though....

I sure love this camper...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
davidjsimons

If the fridge ever goes out, it's paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
FRANANDTOMMY

Extended warranties offered

they are offering a 5 yr extended warranty service contract- plus paint and fabric protection for 4 years and tire and wheel protection for 5 years.

It is all quite expensive but it seems to worth while
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
davidjsimons

I see you are a NASCAR fan. I take my unit to the races here in Richmond. Perhaps we will cross paths some day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

The 5 year extended warranty may sound like a great deal but I would reconsider for the following reasons:
1) Almost all of the appliances, including the fridge, have a 2 year warranty on them already. The A/C may also have a 2 yr warranty --- check it out. Appliances are usually quite reliable over a long period.
2) Check the deductible on the warranty. How much is it?
3) Read the fine print. You may be surprised to find out what is NOT covered.
4) I would forget about the exterior paint protection. A good quality coat of wax/polish will do the same thing for much cheaper - except for some elbow grease now and again.
5) Same for the fabric protection. Buy some cans of 3M or similar fabric protector and do the job yourself.
6) If you don't ever use the extended warranty, do you get a partial or full refund of your money? Some plans offer this feature.
7) If you are handy or competent in doing some minor repairs yourself, this will save you from taking it in, paying the deductible and using your warranty.
8) What is involved in tire and wheel protection? Better yet, what isn't covered or protected?

Some RV dealerships and salespeople put a lot of pressure on new buyers to purchase these warranties. This practice is common throughout the retail world - not just in the RV industry - and the profits made by the retailer from these transactions make it worth their while to apply pressure to buy them.

I think the concensus here would be to steer you away from purchasing an extended warranty. Not sure how much it is going to cost you but consider this....... Why not take that money, set it aside for RV repairs, and if you don't use it....... it's a win-win situation for you!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
FRANANDTOMMY

5 year extended warranty

Thanks for your response.
seeing that this is already 2 years old- and everything except the TV antenna are either electrical or battery operated, we are considering the main warranty.
The other 2 warranties they are suggesting is #1- outside protection/furniture protection and #2- tire which covers road hazards for both TT and tow vehicle It does not cover replacing tires if worn out.
So both of those warranties are not in consideration.
There are some things my husband can repair himself- but not the major items.

we are picking the TT up on Friday Dec 7th so will make up our mind before then. Hubby is now on the phone to the RV Doctor, asking if we really should buy it.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Georgia Rambler

What model Laredo is it??? And Congrats on the new camper!!!!

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
FRANANDTOMMY

Laredo model

Our model is a 2010 297rl