Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
boytimme

Thanks for the warning about the toilet flush. Is your toilet the plastic one or the porcelain one they were including with the "comfort package" they were giving last year? Ours is the plastic one.
We "moved in" today - loaded all the dishes, pots and pans, utensils, bedding, linens etc. and do have a bit of room left over so the smaller wardrobe may not be too big of an issue, although I still feel I paid for something I didn't receive.
I did notice the add'l. height. Don't think that'll be a problem. Seems to match up well with my hitch height so I won't have to adjust that.

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
flc

Mine's the plastic one. I really think the issue is with the on board water pump as the city water (regulated) didn't do that. I think the additional height is a bonus - better match to the truck and maybe a little more ground clearance.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #23
boytimme

Still like it!

Installed a battery switch to avoid having to disconnect battery every time I store. Another thing supposed to be provided by Keystone that was not. (dealers fault not Keystone) Other things - porcelain toilet, motion detector outside light, "toy lock". Dealer did give me a small credit to cover those things.
By the way, how do you like the EcoBoost?
I'm really happy with mine. Much power and getting about 10-11 MPG towing.

2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
flc

From what I understand those features were part of a "comfort package" that Keystone was offering the dealers at little or no cost for a short period of time to push early year sales. The ad for that said it would expire soon (and it did.)

I really like the Ecoboost but haven't towed far enough to get an accurate measurement. I'm guessing I'll get about 10 1/2 if I'm not fighting the normal 30mph > Oklahoma wind.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
boytimme

Model year changes

Talked to Keystone today and they agreed that they changed the design of the 2013 Bullet 248RKS, shortening the slide out by a couple feet which deletes half of the wardrobe in that slide out. They also changed the slide mechanism from cable drive to worm gear drive. The new drive requires smaller slide out. I don't know if they shrunk the slide out to suit the new drive or changed to the new mechanism because of the smaller slide out. Either way, I'm not happy since, as I said earlier, I paid for something I did not get! Their response is "sorry about that".
Otherwise - the camper's great! Taking our shake-down trip next week to Camper Village at Cedar Point amusement park, about an hour from our home.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
drifter101

AWESOME! You might need this site. It is where I got mine and I am really a very satisfied customer. I just can't help but to recommend them.
http://www.hitchanything.com/
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
ThePressureIsOn

Bullet 248RKS

flc & boytimme,

My wife and I really like the floor plan of the 248RKS and plan on looking at one at a dealer soon. We usually buy used but can only find 2012/2013 models. Was it a new model in 2012?

Our TV is a 2008 Silverado with at 5.3L engine and a tow package. It's rated for 6800 lbs. We currently own a 2004 TrailManor 2720SD that weighs about 3200 dry and is a dream to pull. We are ready to upgrade to an upright. Do you think that our TV could pull something this large?

Thank you for your advice,
Bob & Sarah Cooley
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
flc

I think the 2012 was the first time it was called that. In 2011 it was called 250 or something like that with a similar floor plan. There are some differences in the 2012 and the 2013 models. The main difference is a slightly shorter slide on the 2013. They went to a Schwintek InWall slide on the 2013 instead of the cable driven slide. Also, less drawers and more doors. I really like my 2013 so far. I'm putting some shelves in the bedroom side closets instead of hangers and re-doing the under bed storage for easier access. We kept our old upgraded Sealy mattress from our last trailer and it is about five times heavier than the one that comes with the 248RKS. Makes it tough to get in the underbed storage.

I think you would be approaching your limit on towing. Mine was just under 5,000 lbs dry and the weight adds up quickly. My TV is rated for 9800 lbs and I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier than my 248RKS regularly.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
ThePressureIsOn

Thank you for your advice flc. My wife and I like the idea of shelves in the bedroom closets, we fold most of our clothes. I took out the closet rod and installed shelves in our current trailer. Not knowing anything about slides, I checked out the Schwintek slides and found them very interesting. It seems to be pretty cutting edge technology.

We would have to keep the weight down. I wouldn't want to pull something that is just under the TV maximum capabilities. Thank you again, the people of this forum are the best.

Bob & Sarah Cooley
Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
chartrand

Very nice... now I can't decide between this unit and the new Premier TT.

If you have a chance can you upload a photo of the couch made into the bed? I'm wondering how much room is between it and the dinette.

Also... if that grey thing in the corner a fan that blows in multi-directions next to the couch?

Thanks
-Pat
Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
ThePressureIsOn

There is no room between the fold out bed and the dinette. You can not walk between the two. My wife and I went through a Bullet 248RKS yesterday at a dealer. To get to the kitchen with the fold out bed set up, you would have to go out the bedroom door and back in the door by the kitchen.....or crawl over the fold out bed. That was about the only thing that we didn't like about the 248RKS.

That being said we are seriously thinking of purchasing one.

Hope this helps,
Bob & Sarah
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #32
flc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Very nice... now I can't decide between this unit and the new Premier TT.

If you have a chance can you upload a photo of the couch made into the bed? I'm wondering how much room is between it and the dinette.

Also... if that grey thing in the corner a fan that blows in multi-directions next to the couch?

Thanks
-Pat
Sorry, I was slow getting back on this. The gray thing is just a little fan I set there when I was in it. I usually keep a lamp on that table. You are right about the room between the dinette and the bed when it is out. There is none. That doesn't bother my wife or I as we had one in our last trailer and never used it. We did use the dinette once when our granddaughter went with us.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
ThePressureIsOn

flc would you mind answering a couple questions? My wife and I looked at a 248RKS last weekend and really liked it. There was an access panel left of the sink. Is that the storage area for the electrical cord and/or the water heater by-pass valve? Also, I'm wondering where the water pump is. I saw another access panel left of the bed, is that it? I didn't bring a screw driver or I would have removed the panels to look behind them.....should have asked the salesperson about borrowing one.

We were surprised how weak the seat back was on the dinette. I wanted to check that out after reading boytimme's post about his breaking. It looked like it would be pretty simple to reinforce it though.

Your mods sound like what we would want to do. Like I said before, we fold most of our clothes, so the shelves in the side closet really interest us. Also, we were thinking of installing gas shocks to the under bed storage, but maybe a slide out drawer would work better. Would you post a few pictures of your mods please.

Overall it sounds like you really are enjoying yours. We will most likely order ours next month.

Thank you for your time,
Bob & Sarah
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
flc

Bob and Sarah,

You are right on about the access panels. The one in the kitchen is for the power cord and, once the panel is removed, there is an access hole to the water heater bypass which sits in the corner under the cabinet. The water pump is next to the bed. I already ordered a snap in fitting for the water pump in order to connect a tube for antifreeze. I think the fitting was about $4 or $5. It is easy access. (They were Flojet Port Adapters 20381008 and 20381009 - don't need both, either will work) When I opened that panel I left the two screws from under the bed out so I don't have to lift the bed to remove the hatch. I kept the Sealy mattress from my old trailer and it's really heavy compared to the one that comes with the 248RKS.

I haven't noticed the dinette seat back being weak. Maybe we got lucky.

Haven't been enjoying it much for awhile as the temp has been in the hundreds here lately. We do have some fall trips planned and I've already got reservations at the Ponderosa in Colorado for Aug 2013. You have to book there about a year in advance. If next summer is like this one I'll probably stay in the mountains all summer.

Floyd
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #35
AlCorr

Hi, All
We love our 2012, got it at the camping show last Jan. at the Boston EXPO. It came with the "comfort package" and we got a excellent price on it there. Plus we got the all leather couch.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #36
AlCorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
There is no room between the fold out bed and the dinette. You can not walk between the two. My wife and I went through a Bullet 248RKS yesterday at a dealer. To get to the kitchen with the fold out bed set up, you would have to go out the bedroom door and back in the door by the kitchen.....or crawl over the fold out bed. That was about the only thing that we didn't like about the 248RKS.

That being said we are seriously thinking of purchasing one.

Hope this helps,
Bob & Sarah
That must be why they put that 2nd door in the bedroom. We hate that door there, wish it was a window like the fire escape window on the other side.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #37
ThePressureIsOn

flc, thank you for all of the good information about your 248RKS. We are going to order ours when we get back from vacation in two weeks.

AlCorr, our preference would also be for a window instead of a door in the bedroom. We love the cross ventilation of having two windows and don't feel good about leaving the door open during the night.

Bob & Sarah
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
ThePressureIsOn

We ordered our Bullet 248RKS today. We are soooo excited! We didn't order the grill, at the recommendation of the members of this forum. We are having them install a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen vent. We wouldn't be without one in the kitchen. Barton Lake RV in Fremont IN, where we purchased it, owns a campground right next to it. We plan on camping there for a two day shake down when we pick it up with PDI checklist in hand. We are already making a list of mods, (thank you flc and ALCorr).
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
wincrasher

really like the floor plan. the rear kitchen is such a great, practical idea.

can you get in the bathroom with the slide pulled in? Or get in the bedroom?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #40
flc

Yeah, the rear kitchen floor plan is what sold us. I just came back from a week at a local lake and it was great. Getting ready to go to South Dakota in a couple of weeks. We are retired and there is just the two of us and a couple of Westies so we will never use the dinette or air bed on the couch for sleeping.

With the slide in you can go from front to rear. Of course you can enter the bedroom from the door also. The bathroom door opens wide enough that I have about 8-10 inches of extra clearance to get into it. I'm 6'2" and weigh 218. I think if someone was about a size 54 waist they might have a problem.

We have been real pleased, so far.
Closed Thread