Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
aldir357m

Hopefully a New Springdale Owner ?

I just found what is possibly my next RV, and came to this site looking for some information. I found exactly what I have been searching for in a Sprindale 242FWRLSSR... a fifth wheel trailer at 26' and under 6500 lbs with a large open floor plan. What I need to make sure before I purchase is that my truck will pull it. While I plan to get a 3/4 ton in the near future, I currently have a 2004 Ford 150 FX-4 Crew cab with a short bed. While I know the weight is not an issue, I am concerned about which auto slider hitch is best suited to my need, and wether the high sides on the bed will get in the way of the trailer. If anyone out there can direct me to the proper thread in this site where I can talk to the owner of a similar setup, I would greatly appreciate it. My travel trailer has served me well, but this fifth wheel is perfect, and the new truck is still a year or two away.

Looking for the correct info, for better or worse, and hope to be a regular with my new Springdale fifth wheel!
aldir357m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you will get some feedback to your questions. However, I would suggest that you ask those questions about hitches in the Towing and Tow Vehicle section of the forum. You will get a better response if you place questions in the appropriate section rather than on here.
Have you used the forum search feature? If not, I would try that (type in "slider hitch" or something similar) and you will, I am sure find numerous posts about that topic. It has previously been discussed at great length on the forum.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

You didn't say what motor and rear gear you have and it will have an impact on your towing experience but regardless I think you are asking to much from the truck with that trailer. JMO
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
halfprice

Can't help you on the truck towing info but I just bought the same 5th a few months ago.

My tv is a Chevy 2500, so no problem towing, and I installed the Pullrite Super Glide. From my research I feel its the best slider made. If needed, Pullrite sells a 3" lift for the slider. My understanding is it was made for the short bed trucks like yours that have high beds.

Are you going to install the hitch yourself or pay to have a shop do it. I took mine to a shop and they were very knowledgable on the hitches and trucks. I would think a good shop would be able to give you the proper answer.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

I did a little research for you. Your pin weight will come in around 1600 lbs. There is no way you have that kind of payload capacity with that truck. Don't even think about it!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Philip Saran

As said before, get the bigger truck NOW, not later!!

As I stated in another post, you can NOT have enough stopping
power for your load and the F150 does not have what you need.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote