Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
johnnyrose

Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Hi Everyone! I just bought a new-to-me 2005 Cougar 254 EFS. I love the trailer and have gone out once with the family. The dealer that I bought my 5er from also installed my hitch and the hitch that they "recommended" was the Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch. The hitch basically turns your pin into a ball receiver and the truck bed into a pyramid with a 2+" ball on top. Pretty much a gooseneck without having to change anything on the trailer except to add the hardware to the pin. It is easy to use, easy to line up, easy to hook up and easy to pull with. The unit seems to lock together pretty solidly with little play between the two. All that for this question.
Has anyone used this hitch before? If so do you think that it is a better or worse option than a standard 5er? Why? Should I look at changing in the near future? Has anyone heard of this hitch failing? Thanks for the help everyone!

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
KanTC

I'm not familiar with Anderson Hitches (nor that specific design) so I won't give an opinion
on the quality or reliability, but... I thought the website (& photos) might be helpful to others too.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catal...onnection.aspx

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
johnnyrose

Thanks Terri, I should have posted that huh? Oops.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
smiller

I'm not familiar with the product and it may be a good one, but there are a lot of solutions out there looking for a problem and this seems like it might be one of them.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
KanTC

You're welcome Johnny... and, yeah, websites (if available) are helpful.
I need photos, especially if I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

While reading that site today, I saw that the *Gooseneck Version* was introduced in early 2011 --
so there may not be very many owners yet. http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/news.aspx

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I'm not familiar with the product and it may be a good one, but there are a lot of solutions out there looking for a problem and this seems like it might be one of them.
There are upsides to this hitch versus the old 5er hitch. You can be way less than level to unhitch with the Anderson. Also, it does give the trailer a lot more freedom of movement on the hitch than the classic version. I know some of the older guys who have been using the reese 15k and the sliders will not like this very well just because they are used to the originals but I have had no issues with this hitch. There is very little resistance against the hitch when pulling and it is a smooth ride! I love it so far.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
jsmith948

Does converting your 5er to what is essentially a goose neck style coupling require that you now use safety chains? If so, where do you connect them?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Does converting your 5er to what is essentially a goose neck style coupling require that you now use safety chains? If so, where do you connect them?
That is a great question. There has been some back and forth on this and I guess I will have to ultimately call the company to ask. I have seen other forums ask this sam equestion and I don't know that answer to this question. That is the reason I posted about the hitch in the first place to see if anyone had some info on them. I don't use chains and I don't know where I would hook them if I did! Jsmith, I will get back to you on this one as I am perplexed by it. I want to know that answer to it as much as you do. Thanks for the question.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
johnnyrose

Andersen Update

So, I just got off of the phone with Andersen and basically what they told me is that the laws regarding the use of safety chains are different from state to state and that I would need to add safety chains to the hitch if the state requires them. He was in Idaho and they do not require them there so he doesn't use them. I will have to dig into NC state law and see if they are required here. I am sure that they are according to Murphy's law! If anyone knows what the law in NC says about safety chains please let me know otherwise I will continue my hunt for information.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
johnnyrose

Update #2

Just talked to the dealer and they are saying that there is no need for the chains. They are saying that the hitch is neither a ball nor a fifth wheel and I guess that gets around how the staute is written. Also it has a locking pin that is kind of a hybrid between the standard ball hitch and a fifth wheel pin lock. I may just have to wait and see if I get pulled over! I hope that the dealer is correct. Here is the North Carolina law:
http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina...es/20-123.html

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
sandy43

I used the Andersen Ranch Hitch on a previous fiver some years back (25 footer). It worked really good, especially since I had to use my stock trailer often. My last couple of fiver's have been bigger and much heavier, therefore I elected to go to a standard 5th wheel hitch. I was told you might have warranty problems using a gooseneck type of hitch, but I never did. I still have it, welded to a pin box and considered selling it., not sure yet.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
johnnyrose

Sandy,
Thanks for the perspective. I am glad to hear that it held up for you, that is kind of a relief. The hitch that I have says that it is rated at 20,000 pounds towing capacity and something like 4,500 pounds of down pressure on the hitch. We will see, I love it so far.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I watched the video, won't get me to give up my Reese cam lock 16K!

Looks to be as much work to hookup as the normal ball hitch!

The reason I like a 5th wheel pin hitch is quick easy hookup, backup come close to centering the pin when my release handle pops back in hitch is locked. Raise the landing gear, connect the breakaway and go. Just my $.02

In addition with the base turned around for a short bed, you have moved the load behind the back axle, which will reduce the amount of pin weight that you can haul.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
johnnyrose

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I watched the video, won't get me to give up my Reese cam lock 16K!

Looks to be as much work to hookup as the normal ball hitch!

The reason I like a 5th wheel pin hitch is quick easy hookup, backup come close to centering the pin when my release handle pops back in hitch is locked. Raise the landing gear, connect the breakaway and go. Just my $.02

In addition with the base turned around for a short bed, you have moved the load behind the back axle, which will reduce the amount of pin weight that you can haul.
This is not the case. I can see the ball out the back window very easily and it takes no more work or hardship to couple the trailer with the hitch than a regular fifth wheel. The only difference is that you have to raise the landing gear before the trailer is locked. My truck is a shortbed and the hitch doesn't put the load behind the axle, it may be on the backside of the axle but not enough to lower my pin weight. It really is a great hitch so far, no issues what-so-ever.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
team222

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Late reply but Andersen does offer a chain option for $63. I order it with the Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch.

Will let you know how it all works out and take some pix
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
AlbertaRvMan

I have a travel trailer so I can't speak to the fifth wheel hitch, but I do use an Anderson hitch and love it.

I would highly recommend the Anderson brand as I also use there camper levellers.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #17
team222

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
Just talked to the dealer and they are saying that there is no need for the chains. They are saying that the hitch is neither a ball nor a fifth wheel and I guess that gets around how the staute is written. Also it has a locking pin that is kind of a hybrid between the standard ball hitch and a fifth wheel pin lock. I may just have to wait and see if I get pulled over! I hope that the dealer is correct. Here is the North Carolina law:
http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina...es/20-123.html
Could you post a update on your experiences with your Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch for all of us that are thinking on buying one and find this thread a long time after you posted it ......via a search.

Nothing is more convincing on a to do or not to do basis .....than info from an owner of a product.......add a couple more or so from others that own the product and the truth will out.........the good, bad and yes the ugly.

Often opinions from those that have never seen, touched or even talked to anyone that owns the item are actually of no value....or worse

Thanks

Mike
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
DirtyOil

I've had the Anderson Ultimate hitch for two years, works great! Because I haul goose necks and need full bed space for tool boxes when not hauling. I needed something like this hitch for easy/quickness of removal.

Being use to hauling goose neck trailers, adding the safety chains isn't an issue with this hitch.

When not using the fifth wheel hitch, I simply hang it on the wall next to my Mona Lisa, in the garage. No need to get half the neighbourhood or a crane to lift out that heavy conventional fifth wheel hitch!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
GBR

Thumbs up

I am also looking at the Ultimate hitch as well and went directly to Lippert Industries and asked them if there were any warrenty issues if I installed this unit. They responded by saying as long as I did not alter the pin box it is not an issue. As a previous post noted that chains are available and the new model has replacement eye bolts for quick setup. I have been trying to find a pic of the install and if someone can post their chain setup, it would be greatly appreciated. In all my research I have not seen one negative comment on users of this product and manufactured in America gives me great confidence that it will be safe and durable.
George
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
DirtyOil

[/URL]

Not mine personal setup... but you get the picture.