Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Vidorcom

Carlsbad state beach

We love this campground. They have dry camping and just are setting up for full hookups. You camp on the bluffs and most spots will hold 45 feet. Let me know if your are going to stay ill tell what spots are good. We have them all mapped out with pros/cons
Vidorcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
f6bits

Do you know when the full hookups will be ready? Is the beach as narrow as it looks?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Vidorcom

Spots 215-222 have sewer and water. Power they said in the next couple of weeks. Narrow? 215-222 would be able to fit to motor homes side by side. I was the first to camp in 215 with sewer and water.
Vidorcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
f6bits

Thanks for the update on the hookups. For the narrow, I was asking about the sand at the water. It almost looks like high tide would close the beach.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidorcom View Post
We love this campground. They have dry camping and just are setting up for full hookups. You camp on the bluffs and most spots will hold 45 feet. Let me know if your are going to stay ill tell what spots are good. We have them all mapped out with pros/cons
You do mean South Carlsbad. Correct ?? Its 35 feet max, for a reason. No way your backing in 40 Plus foot, the street width wont allow it, and if some one sets up camp across form you..your not getting out. I had a heck of a time getting out of the south side of that place. Left some marks on the rig, And at that time i was only 35 feet.
Here is a picture...

chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Vidorcom

Spots 215-222 you can get 45 no problem. I had a bumper pull 35 foot with the Bathroom in front of me at 215 and do problem at all. I even parked the trailer sideways to get a front door beach view. Was this picture last week? the further down south you go the shorter the sites are. My wife marked what obstacles are in way, poles, bathrooms, water, etc...

We stayed last week and 3 generators were stolen. All 3 were chained up. If you have a portable generator lock in rv or TV during the night.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
chain_dogg

Quote:
We stayed last week and 3 generators were stolen. All 3 were chained up. If you have a portable generator lock in rv or TV during the night.

jpg[/IMG]
I ran into this.........

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/2894724166.html
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Mike2593

Stolen Generators?

I wonder what time of night these thieves enter the campsite? When we camp, we usually stay up late by the campfire. How much noise would the bolt cutters make while in use?

I was at Doheny a couple of weeks ago and the ranger said to put portable generators inside also.

Would a motion sensing porch light or security camera help?
Mike2593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

If they want your generator and they come equipped with bolt cutters, there is a good chance it will be gone. However, a motion sensor light might send them on to another site without such a light. I doubt whether a security camera would deter them either. It will just make things harder for you when you review the program and have to watch them tossing your generator into the back of a pickup and driving off down the road.
Lock it up out of sight in a secure place. All you can do is discourage them and minimize the risks by not making it easy to steal.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Vidorcom

The night the 3 generators were stolen my buddy and I were up until 3:00am by the fire. I did leave a porch light on that night. We had 3 cases of beer in plain sight and and a full Ice Chest. Those tend to get stolen as well but made it through the night.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Loriv247

Quote:
Spots 215-222 you can get 45 no problem. I had a bumper pull 35 foot with the Bathroom in front of me at 215 and do problem at all. I even parked the trailer sideways to get a front door beach view. Was this picture last week? the further down south you go the shorter the sites are. My wife marked what obstacles are in way, poles, bathrooms, water, etc...

We are staying in sites 48 & 49 in June (those were the only bluff sites next to each other). Do you know how those look as far as maneuvering in there? My sister has a 36ft FW and we are looking to buy a 37ft FW(from nose to tail but its listed as a 35 footer). Thanks!
Loriv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
chain_dogg

Here are your spots...........Its going to be tight. you need to go to the end of the road where the turn around is, and come back towards the check in booth, and back in on your blind side. The bushes are very tight tring to back in the the easy way, or going in. be luck you are not on the south side of the check in. you will not make the turn around, i found out the hard way and had to back up till i found a empty spot to make my turn around. I also scratched the side of my trailer getting out. Camp was set up across from me, and made it tough to get out. going in, they were not there.
This link might be a better picture.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attach...930589544e.jpg

Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Loriv247

Wow, you aren't kidding. I'm hoping that the spots across from us are vacant so we will have a little more flexibilty manuevering in. Maybe if we show up right at check-in we will get lucky. Thank you for the detailed picture and all the info Sorry you scratched your rig. Being that this will be our first FW and maiden voyage, we will probably come home with some battle scars too, ha ha.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriv247 View Post
Wow, you aren't kidding. I'm hoping that the spots across from us are vacant so we will have a little more flexibilty manuevering in. Maybe if we show up right at check-in we will get lucky. Thank you for the detailed picture and all the info Sorry you scratched your rig. Being that this will be our first FW and maiden voyage, we will probably come home with some battle scars too, ha ha.
by backing in that way, you can also unhook at a angle to better view the ocean, out of the door side windows
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Loriv247

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
by backing in that way, you can also unhook at a angle to better view the ocean, out of the door side windows

Good point! Duly noted. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
f6bits

Their website still says no amenities. No water, sewer, or electric still?

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Their website still says no amenities. No water, sewer, or electric still?
A few spots on the south side have Electric......other than that Nuttin.
That place is awsome with the toy hauler back door down all night, wave crashing, i sleep like a baby

Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
f6bits

That contradicts the earlier post that stated that 215-222 have water and sewer and that full hookups are on the way. This isn't true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
A few spots on the south side have Electric......other than that Nuttin.
That place is awsome with the toy hauler back door down all night, wave crashing, i sleep like a baby

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
That contradicts the earlier post that stated that 215-222 have water and sewer and that full hookups are on the way. This isn't true?
I believe that is a recent upgrade. My wifes friend just got back, she did have hook ups
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Mighty Ming

Loriv247... I live in Carlsbad and was just there (driving thru). Sites 215 -222 have ONLY water and sewer. It's unknown when power will be completed .. Has to do with the coastal commission not being thrilled about the upgrades.
As for your sites... No hook ups at all. One is shallow 48 and the other is wide 49. Your RV will fit but as mentioned continue past the sites to the north end and turn around at the designated turn around go south and back right in to your spots. If you haven't stayed here. It's truly a nice campground with incredible ocean views. Bathrooms n showers are clean! Once done you simply hook up and drive south about 14 sites and pull in and dump. Our pull trailer is total length of 35' plus the truck and would have no issue in either one of those site. Yours is a FW so it'll be easier. I have mapped out n logged every site there and both sites will fit our TT. Any questions or concerns... Just contact me. I will gladly go measure your sites if it will give you piece of mind!!
Mighty Ming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote