Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
rcwaz

Alpine BR slide issue

I brought my Alpine 5er to the dealer for a few issues. One issue which surprised me was that the Bed room slide stops an inch short of sealing at the bottom when closed. The dealer told me it was $800 to change the timing for the slide. It runs through the command center. So it apparently does not rely on amperage draw to know when it is closed. I’m thinking it must use a stepper motor and the counts open to close may have to be changed. I can’t think of any other reason to “change the timing”. $800 sounds like a lot of money to make a code change. Any Other ideas about what they are talking about?
rcwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
ChuckS

I could be out in left field with my thoughts but I think your dealer is incorrect ... the In Command BCM merely supplies control voltage to the controller for your BR slide out.

The controller .. if the motors are synchronized correctly will receive signal from that controller to shut off power to both motors.

I’m assuming your slide out is the type referenced in this link I’ve attached

I’d look at Link page 9.. I’d also be curious to know what happens if you manually close that electric slide out by using manual over ride switch located on the BCM for that electric slideout...

If.. when using manual override switch on BCM to close that slide out it still is not closing tight at bottom then in my humble opinion the slide out motors are out of sync with what they think is the closed position or the controller for that slide out has an issues sensing the build up of motor current

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001602.pdf

https://store.lci1.com/blog/retiming...syncing-issues

In essence all the In command DC.. display commander is doing is taking a digitized signal and sending it to the BCM to latch the relay for that power line to send signal to controller to operate.. much the same as a conventional momentary in/out slide out switch is doing.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s a schwintek slide, to my knowledge there isn’t any “timing” to the top/bottom, just right/left sides.

Each side has two “tracks” mounted to the slide, and an assembly mounted to the sidewall of the trailer. There is a motor at the top, and a rod that runs from the top to the bottom to rotate both “worm gears” at the same time. The few times I have seen the issue described it was a failure of the rod and replacement of the column was the fix.

$800.00 to “retime”? I have my doubts that they will be successful.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
ChuckS

I gather the “In Wall” slide closes unilaterally along all for edges... not like a hyd slide that the last pieces that seals is the bottom..

Maybe something is at the bottom of the slide on the inside where carriage is that’s causing motor current to build up just prior to bottom being able to mate flush...

Regardless.. this is not...IMO.. a “software” issue with the In Command ...it’s instead “lack of knowledge” at the repair center or dealership

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, slide