Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
hankpage
Site Team

Dexter E-Z Flex install

Well, I've had the box with the E-Z flex hanging around for about six months .... sitting in the storage compartment did nothing for the ride at all. Sooo ..... this weekend I stopped procrastinating and got one side done. Next weekend side two.

Jacked up and supported by frame.

Stock equalizer with Dexter E-Z Flex

E-Z Flex installed

I turned the grease fittings to the inside so they can be greased without removing the wheels. The kit comes with bronze bushings to replace the nylon stock bushings that were almost worn out in 5000 miles. I will have more photos of the install when I complete side two.

After this I will be upgrading to 16" rims and E rated tires.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Flyguy

Nice post Hank, I'm looking forward to your second part.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Was thinking of doing the same modification/upgrade to my Cougar but not this year. Some questions........ Is this something that someone with a reasonable amount of "handiness" could do? Did you have to do any other modifications or just remove the old stuff and install the new kit parts? How easy or difficult is it to remove the old bushing, shackles, etc.? I would think that jacking up and stabilizing the RV would be one of the biggest and time-consuming tasks??? Any major problems encountered along the way? Finally, where did you purchase this kit and if you dont mind..for how much $$$$. Looks great so far!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Festus2, You are correct in assuming that jacking and supporting was the hardest part. I also did not follow the directions to the letter and did not support the whole trailer and completely remove both axles. I did one side at a time. ..... That said, I bought them directly from http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/28009 for about $150. Removal and installation are fairly easy but I do have the advantage of a cordless impact wrench that I keep in the trailer for tire changing if needed. (best tool investment I ever made) The wet-bolts alone make it worth the money. Any other questions ..... just ask away. I hope to be finished by next week so I can take advantage of a tire sale ending 10/25. $$$$
Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

The weather was nasty but I completed side two .... just finished before Nor-Easter blew in.

Used old bolt and new bronze bushing to drive out plastic bushing

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Wet-bolt and bronze bushing installed on spring end

Completed just as the rain starts. Someone up there must like me.

Now I'm off to Costco to order my 16" tires.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

More questions...... Excuse my ignorance but just what is a "wet bolt"? Are you replacing 15" tires with 16"? Trailer tires or passenger car tires (as per Flyguy's post)?
Now that you are finished with this project and probably could do another one just like it in no time, could I book a time for you to come do mine? Looks very good - especially with your accompanying photos!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
More questions...... Excuse my ignorance but just what is a "wet bolt"? Are you replacing 15" tires with 16"? Trailer tires or passenger car tires (as per Flyguy's post)?
Now that you are finished with this project and probably could do another one just like it in no time, could I book a time for you to come do mine? Looks very good - especially with your accompanying photos!
Festus2, There is no ignorance on this forum, just RVers sharing knowledge. #1: Wet-bolts have a grease fitting and a port in the center of the bolt to lube the bronze bushing.
#2: I am replacing my ST225/75/R15D Chinese Marathons with LT215/85/R16E Michelin X-Ribs. They are not passenger tires but Commercial all position tires. (steering, drive and commercial trailer axles) Of course I had to get the proper rims too.

#3: I would like to help you do yours ..... but ...... North is not the direction that I want to be traveling this time of year.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Flyguy

Nice try Festus.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Nice try Festus.
That's what I wanted to say but I was trying to be tactful.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
bigdog

I would love to do this redo 'cuz I had to replace all of my springs this past spring. That's from frame down excluding the axles. It seems as if the springs,while they are the correct ones for the weight won't take a lot of chuckholes,whoop-di-do's,etc. The hangers were had all the bolt holes either elongated or worn larger than they should have been,the bushings were all either gone or just plain worn out,the shackles were ALL cracked or broken and three of the four springs were broken or also had cracks in them and it didn't look as if this was something that had just happened after looking at where there was rust.The response of the tech that first looked at it was "holy ****".
Mebbee,if I had this done,I could go another 20K miles w/o problems.
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD
DP Tuner
4" MBRP Exhaust
AFE air intake
Ride-rite air bags
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Well ..... took our first trip with the new equalizers and tires. 1250 mi. not a thing moved in any cabinets and very little bounce at all. I95 is in pretty bad shape but it was the smoothest trip we have had in 15 years. So far I would say it was worth every penny. Almost looking forward to the trip home ........ ALMOST. Next mod will be an external antenna for wi-fi. Happy camping, Hank
Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Firecapt

Hank,

I love mods like this! What is the advantage of adding these? Does the kit come with the wet bolts and brass bushings for the other end of the springs?

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
linebiker

I can see this is a well made system, does one get a better ride on trailer? If so could you describe? This product is a new one to me, intresting as I had my rig jacked up changing a tire and noticed my hangers already had quite a bit of slop. A local dealer told me that was normal but.....

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

The ride was greatly improved but I also changed to 16" wheels and tires at the same time. I only had 5000 mi. on the trailer but the nylon bushings were badly worn. The Dexter web site claims that the rubber cushion in their equalizer lessens the transfer of road shock to the trailer and the bronze bushings and grease-able bolts eliminates the wear. I just completed 1250 mi. with tire and E-Z Flex combo and I'm convinced they work well and less expensive and easier to install than shocks. Almost looking forward to the return trip.
Firecapt, Yes, the kit includes all bolts and bushings for springs and equalizers.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
linebiker

Thanks Hank! Nice pictures and description. This looks like it may be one of the next upgrades on my list.

After reading some other posts of Keystone owners having shackles to fail, while installing these I likley will beef up the mounting brackets to frame. Looking down frame on my entry side, my shackles have a appearance of leaning toward the center of trailer. Will get a straight edge and rule and see if it is just a perception.

08 Raptor 299
B&W Companion 5th
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
linebiker

another ez flex install

Just got my suspension system done today, boxed in equalizer hangers, added angle to front and rear hangers facing outward to bolt unistrut reinforcing frame. All went well but took me about 11 hours with the welding and cutting. My Raptor has around 3000 miles or less and the nylon bushings were ready to be replaced, equalizer bushings being the worst.

While I was at it as I heard some reports of some Raptor owners dropping their fresh water tanks going down the road......took some screws out of the lower "Polar Package" to take a peek at mine. My unit was OK, and hey there was some insulation right above the black covering!

Ready for a road trip now!

08 Raptor 299
B&W Companion 5th
Old 05-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linebiker View Post
Just got my suspension system done today, boxed in equalizer hangers, added angle to front and rear hangers facing outward to bolt unistrut reinforcing frame. All went well but took me about 11 hours with the welding and cutting. My Raptor has around 3000 miles or less and the nylon bushings were ready to be replaced, equalizer bushings being the worst.

While I was at it as I heard some reports of some Raptor owners dropping their fresh water tanks going down the road......took some screws out of the lower "Polar Package" to take a peek at mine. My unit was OK, and hey there was some insulation right above the black covering!

Ready for a road trip now!
I think you will like the improvement it makes in the ride. The peace of mind that one more weak point is eliminated makes it more comfortable also. I could not believe how badly the plastic bushings were worn in 5000 miles. .... Were your shackles bent as you suspected or just an optical illusion? I inspect suspension and all welds after every trip and so far all is well but only 7500 miles. Enjoy your road trip, Hank
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
linebiker

They were actually leaning some, made a tool and cold bent them back in place. Not really very much to frame, a service guy told me once that frames on campers were not much till the camper body is added. He proved to be correct.

In my reading found a post where Lippert (I think) makes a brace that goes side to side as a add on and looks like the real deal. My method will help but not as good.

Thanks to all who posts, everybodys input in really helpful working and improving on these rigs!

08 Raptor 299
B&W Companion 5th
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
Earl

Dexter E-Z Flex Install

Would it be possible to just install the brass bushing and wet bolts and get rid of the nylon stuff in the shackle eye only? And be about to give it a little lube.

efe
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote