Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
InkedMarie

TT vs Fifth Wheel

We currently have a Bullet and will be seasonal in 2021. Our Bullet is our first and we know what we want & need next.

I’m hoping for thoughts and opinions on travel trailers vs fifth wheels. We will be stationary/seasonal for quite a few years to come. If my husband can’t tow a TT due to weight and all that goes with that, our son can. If we decide on a 5’er, people can be hired to bring that to our site.

I’ve had family members make comments on why bother with a fifth wheel and I counter with, “why not”?

What say all of you?

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I'd say find a floor plan that works for you and go from there. Most RV sales will arrainge for delivery to a seasonal site for a fee.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Keep in mind that you go with a fifth wheel and are going to be in it for extended periods, you will need to get one with a taller bedroom. My fifth wheel bedroom isn't tall enough for a short person to stand up in. You will also be going up steps to the bedroom if you have issues with steps. The travel trailer typically has a lower ceiling in the cabin area but it is the same height in the bedroom so you can walk around with stooping. The main advantage of any 5th wheel is that they tow better and if you are not going to tow it much, then the 5th wheel advantage isn't.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the advantages to owning a fifth wheel tend to be in the "towing" category. Improved towabality/stability, increased storage in the basement area, slightly shorter total length compared to interior length (the part over the truck bed), larger holding tanks, an increased perception of space due to the higher ceiling in the main cabin area.

The disadvantages tend to be compromises in the "livability" category. Reduced headroom in the forward part of the cabin, steps to climb for sleeping/toileting, taller/higher cabinets in the galley, more cubic space to heat/cool.

These are just a few of the "first to come to mind".

For me, the major disadvantage to a specific floorplan arrangement is that in a fifth wheel, the same arrangement usually costs $15-$20 thousand more. That's because of the increased cost of the frame construction which is more complex and also heavier (more material). Sure it's typically stronger than a conventional travel trailer, but if it's going to be used in a seasonal site, do you need the increased durabilty/strength of a fifth wheel ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Keep in mind that you go with a fifth wheel and are going to be in it for extended periods, you will need to get one with a taller bedroom. My fifth wheel bedroom isn't tall enough for a short person to stand up in. You will also be going up steps to the bedroom if you have issues with steps. The travel trailer typically has a lower ceiling in the cabin area but it is the same height in the bedroom so you can walk around with stooping. The main advantage of any 5th wheel is that they tow better and if you are not going to tow it much, then the 5th wheel advantage isn't.
Thanks. I didn’t realize that about fifth wheels & bedrooms. I hate steps but need them to get into the RV so not an issue.

Marie

Old 10-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most of the advantages to owning a fifth wheel tend to be in the "towing" category. Improved towabality/stability, increased storage in the basement area, slightly shorter total length compared to interior length (the part over the truck bed), larger holding tanks, an increased perception of space due to the higher ceiling in the main cabin area.

The disadvantages tend to be compromises in the "livability" category. Reduced headroom in the forward part of the cabin, steps to climb for sleeping/toileting, taller/higher cabinets in the galley, more cubic space to heat/cool.

These are just a few of the "first to come to mind".

For me, the major disadvantage to a specific floorplan arrangement is that in a fifth wheel, the same arrangement usually costs $15-$20 thousand more. That's because of the increased cost of the frame construction which is more complex and also heavier (more material). Sure it's typically stronger than a conventional travel trailer, but if it's going to be used in a seasonal site, do you need the increased durabilty/strength of a fifth wheel ??
Thanks for these thoughts. It may be time to disregard a fifth wheel and look at the many TT floor plans I like!

Old 10-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'd say find a floor plan that works for you and go from there. Most RV sales will arrainge for delivery to a seasonal site for a fee.
LOL there are so many that have exactly what we want and I need!

Old 10-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I will throw a twist into the thought train. I went from a 37' TT to a 5th wheel....I loved the TT but;

You say seasonal, what does that mean exactly? How long do you stay in it? A week at a time; a couple? Or months? Our issue became after spending over about 3 mos. in the TT. The height of the sidewalls along with my preference for darker wood stain make it start to feel like a tunnel over time. Since we figure we are going to spend quite a bit of time in the RV a 5th wheel seemed to be the answer for a few reasons.

The 5th wheel has higher walls so that enclosed feeling is greatly diminished. We chose a lighter interior color this go round so that makes it much better. We pretty much like the same kind of rear living floorplan in everything we get so this one was the same. You get more "living" area in a 5th wheel in a given length; our TT was 37'+ but that included the 3-4' of tongue, bumper and spare as I recall. The 5th is nose to back wall so it's virtually all livable. If you get a full profile 5th wheel the front is not short unless you are 6'6"+. Due to multiple knee issues I never wanted a 5th because of the stairs and then the bathroom door that always wanted to knock you back down them. We got one with the pivot bathroom door; some folks hate them but we've really liked ours.

Towing is one of the biggest reasons for getting a 5th along with some of the more "special" floorplans which don't appeal to us. Lots of things to consider, some advantages are lost if you aren't going to tow but some might be applicable if you are going to spend considerable time in it. If not, they make some really nice TTs - and they will be cheaper. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
LewisB

If you truly don't plan to tow this trailer, you have a 3rd option - called a "residence" trailer. These are larger units designed to be hauled to a site and left in place. If that's what you are intending, here's a link:

https://www.keystonerv.com/destinati...ers/residence/

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:43 AM   #10
InkedMarie

Thanks Danny....all good points. I’m in NH; our seasonal is May 1 to Columbus Day weekend
(That’s for camping, I believe we have time after to button up for the season). Our intention was to find one close enough for my husband to Still go to work. I’m off in the summer so I can stay while he works!

Old 10-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #11
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
If you truly don't plan to tow this trailer, you have a 3rd option - called a "residence" trailer. These are larger units designed to be hauled to a site and left in place. If that's what you are intending, here's a link:

https://www.keystonerv.com/destinati...ers/residence/

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
Will look, thanks!

Old 10-08-2020, 04:17 AM   #12
Frank G

Having lived in both for extended seasonal use, quality, size and amenities become quite important along with personal tastes. Size matters, along with storage space, 5th wheels normally win here. Quality comfortable seating and bed along with adequate facilities and appliances are a must. Quiet a/c units, residential refrigerator, 12gallon+ waterheater, an oven that really works, (my neighbor has a 5th wheel with a residential range in it) adequate bathing facilities and onboard washer drier to list a few.

I understand that available investment capital dictates how much of the above is achievable and to make changes down the road is costly so look around and make decisions wisely and have fun doing it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
ewbldavis

As a seasonal camper who tows from time-to-time, here are a few considerations:

- Do you EVER plan on towing it? If NOT, then maybe consider a park model/"lodge". Way more room, etc. and better than both TT and 5er for seasonal only.

- We tow occasionally with the idea as our kids are growing to tow much more. Maybe even full time or most-time.

We will keep seasonal camping without kids. We use our camper every weekend. We went from TT to 5er - actually specifically for shorter "road" length and we loved the bedroom "upstairs". I also like the bigger basement storage.

We considered some TT layouts, but I didn't want 38ft behind me.

If we were seasonal without any towing, I'd get a park model or "destination" trailer.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
InkedMarie

Thanks Frank & Eddy. Husband is not interested in a park model. We may want to tow from time to time and decided a fifth wheel is out. That means a new truck for sure.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
Camping family

5th wheel I think are better then TT. tows easier more room I think. We just purchased a 29rks cougar and love it. Bedroom ceiling is plenty high. Best thing is the bathroom full shower with a seat and plenty room when using the toilet. Living area has 2 slides one on each side which makes for a lot of room.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
InkedMarie

Just an update. Let me say that we tend to do many many spur of the moment decisions. My 60th birthday is in a couple weeks....my gift is a Cougar 32rli.

Yeah, we’re crazy. Go big or go home (it’s way big coming from a Bullet that’s open concept and only theater seating, nothing else).

Old 10-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats Marie!! That is a very nice trailer. IMO the Cougar line is the nicest trailer out there in their price class. Awesome. I had a 2014 Cougar High Country 319rls and we loved it - almost identical to yours but the kitchen was on the opposite side. You will love the extra room.

You said it was on a seasonal site but then that you might be towing it. I will just say that the trailer is 10,500gvw (sorry, you know that's what we do ) and about 1200 tongue weight. Mine was about the same and I learned this - a 1/2 ton was no match for it (had almost new Ram 1500). The suspension on a 1/2 ton, even after I added air bags, Bilstein shocks and LT tires lets that much weight bounce and carry it around. One round trip to FL and we were not happy. Bought a new 14 3/4 Ram and it was if the world of towing physics had just been completely changed - no comparison; I hate that phrase but it's just a fact. Hope you and your husband have a stellar time in that new trailer!!

Edit: I understand spur of the moment - that's the way we've been for our entire married lives. We think it's fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #18
InkedMarie

Danny, thank you. Since we decided to go big, we made the decision to park it and not travel. We can’t. Steve has a Silverado 1500. Our son has a 2500and we’re borrowing his truck to get it home and he will park it for us.

We will be married 39yrs in November; spur of the moment works for us,too!

Old 10-12-2020, 04:02 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedMarie View Post
Danny, thank you. Since we decided to go big, we made the decision to park it and not travel. We can’t. Steve has a Silverado 1500. Our son has a 2500and we’re borrowing his truck to get it home and he will park it for us.

We will be married 39yrs in November; spur of the moment works for us,too!

Congratulations Marie! Always good to have young folks newlyweds on the forum. That looks like a great floorplan. Since getting the trailer back to your dealer will be quite a chore, you might talk to them about mobile service/repairs and make sure you check the trailer out thoroughly. There is a PDI worksheet mentioned in a recent thread that you might look at. Also, since Columbus Day is right here and you mentioned that as the end of your camping season make sure the trailer is carefully winterized prior to parking it. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #20
InkedMarie

Thanks! Dealer is 2hrs from our seasonal but we’re going by wing & prayer. I printed up the PDI yesterday, thanks!

Tags
fifth wheel