Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 03:52 AM   #1
Plumbtrician

AC problems

Hey guys, we’re on a 4 day trip and the ac is acting up. 2019 243 BHS Bullet. Been on 6-8 trips with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Here are the symptoms today:

- Air is cool when it blows, but not cold. Feels like it’s 5-10 degrees warmer than what it’s been.

- About once an hour, fan will turn off and compressor will stay on for 3-4 seconds then comes back on. Will do this 3-4 times, then continues to run.

- Unit will not come on when it needs to. I have to turn thermostat off then back on for the AC to run. Doesn’t matter how low I put thermostat. And it runs almost constantly because the warmer air coming from unit isn’t cooling it down like it has in the past. I have to get up in the middle of the night to turn it off then back on.

- My 7 yr old said he heard a loud clicking coming from inside the unit when he was standing under it. I didn’t hear this myself, and haven’t heard it since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Plumbtrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
ChuckS

The loud clicking noise is a set of relays in the gateway unit that arent engaging properly and may be the cause of your lack of cooling... Im assuming you can actually hear the compressor kick on after the initial timer delay when fan comes on... ?

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Plumbtrician

Yes I can hear compressor come on. Are these relays in the grey colored junction box that I see when I remove grill on inside?
Old 08-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
ChuckS

Yes and there should be many wires running to it and to the thermostat and AC unit

Inside are 3 relays.. one for the AC Fan, one for the AC compressor, and one for the heater if a wall thermostat is used to control both AC and furnace

Old 09-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
Plumbtrician

Thanks Chuck, I’ve ordered a replacement control box. Also, I climbed up on top to remove cover on ac unit and the bottom third of the coils were iced over. Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it because it’s 98 degrees out?
Old 09-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
ChuckS

run the fan on Hi position to prevent icing the condenser up... if that doesnt resolve icing issue then freon level may be low and its a closed system

Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Plumbtrician

Great, thanks Chuck.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
run the fan on Hi position to prevent icing the condenser up... if that doesnt resolve icing issue then freon level may be low and its a closed system
A/C not cooling here either. Ran fine and very cold till yesterday. Had a storm blow through, then about an hour later, the power at the Park went out. Turn A/C back on and it wont get cold again. We are thinking there maybe icing in there. We've had it off for several hours now, thinking it might melt. Any idea how long that can take? Cleaned filters and all. but, only slept 2 hours last night. I'm withering on the vine here. If I were to turn it back on, do so in your suggestion? Fan on HIGH? Been told to leave it on Auto and COLD.
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 AM   #9
Northofu1

Good morning Andrew,
I'm going to ask what all IT guys ask. Have you tried turning it off then on again.
Checked fuses? When the power went out it might have caused a fuse to blow. How long was the power out for?
Adding your tv and tt / 5er to a signature partially helps folks when trying to figure out what might be the problem and how to fix it.
Thanks

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #10
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Good morning Andrew,
I'm going to ask what all IT guys ask. Have you tried turning it off then on again.
Checked fuses? When the power went out it might have caused a fuse to blow. How long was the power out for?
Adding your tv and tt / 5er to a signature partially helps folks when trying to figure out what might be the problem and how to fix it.
Thanks
Good morning sir. We have done the turn off/turn on bit. Same results.

Fuses!!!! I'll check right now. Get back to you.

Okayyyy! LOL. I'll do my signature.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #11
BeagleMan

Oh, by the way....Until I get my Signature up, I have a 2019 Keystone Outback 260UML.

I checked the fuses and breakers, nothing tripped but I did go ahead and flipped the AC breaker of and back on. Think I should fire it up and see what happens?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #12
BeagleMan

My apologies for the hijack, Plumbtrician
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
BeagleMan

Nothing. Flipped the breaker back and forth, waited a bit then turned it on. Still blowing room temp air. Starting to get a little miffed. not at yall. LOL
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the thermostat that Keystone installed, there may be a 2 amp fuse on the back of the thermostat.

Do you have an EMS on your trailer? If not, when the power went off, it may have 'surged" causing the compressor to fail

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
Plumbtrician

Ours would start to cool off somewhat after about 2 hours of running, but it never got down below 78 degrees inside the camper. When we got home I ordered a new thermostat and control box. Replaced them, and didn’t change anything. Next step will be taking it back to the dealer I guess.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #16
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Depending on the thermostat that Keystone installed, there may be a 2 amp fuse on the back of the thermostat.

Do you have an EMS on your trailer? If not, when the power went off, it may have 'surged" causing the compressor to fail
I do have a surge protector from Camco.

Not sure where the thermostat is, but we do have a mobile tech coming tomorrow to look a it. Raining all day and at least in the low 70s, so looking at this as a boondock opp. THanks all for your help!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
Plumbtrician

Please keep us updated curious to know what becomes of that since we’re having identical issues.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
I do have a surge protector from Camco.

Not sure where the thermostat is, but we do have a mobile tech coming tomorrow to look a it. Raining all day and at least in the low 70s, so looking at this as a boondock opp. THanks all for your help!
The thermostat should be on the wall somewhere, where ever it is you're turning the AC on/off from.
A surge protector is not necessarily an EMS! The SP is just that, it only protects from surges. The EMS will protect from every possible electrical issues other than a direct lightening strike.
If it's not an EMS I'd upgrade ASAP!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #19
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbtrician View Post
Please keep us updated curious to know what becomes of that since we’re having identical issues.
I sure will. The warranty clique is out today, no mobile techs to be had, but we do have something lined up for Wednesday morning. At least its not blazing hot here now and temps are falling as the week goes on. We have fans that are helping. Just looking at it as a boondocking pre-requisite. LOL.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-14-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The thermostat should be on the wall somewhere, where ever it is you're turning the AC on/off from.
A surge protector is not necessarily an EMS! The SP is just that, it only protects from surges. The EMS will protect from every possible electrical issues other than a direct lightening strike.
If it's not an EMS I'd upgrade ASAP!
Ok, I call it the control box. I'll look at this and see what I can muster up. You think we should just shut it off for the day? And start it up in the morning?

Oh we will upgrade for sure on a EMS. This is just the beginning purchase. Bought it before knowing the differences. You have a recommendation?
Roll Tide Roll