Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
wincrasher

Outback or Sprinter

Looking at 2012 models of Ouback and Sprinter. Outback is 298RE and Sprinter is 297RET. Floor plans are similar. Sprinter is about 500lbs heavier, but has bigger tanks, and is a little over $2k cheaper on asking price - before serious negotiations, anyways.

At first glance, the Outback appears fancier, probably is slightly. The new one has a painted front cap, which is nice. From the pics at least, the new Sprinter appears to have a different exterior finish.

Towing either should not be a problem with my new Silverado 2500HD.

So I need some advice comparing these two. Are there really quality differences? Is one clearly an economy line? or is it just cosmetic?

My plans for this trailer is to essentially live in it while I'm out of town on projects (for months at a time) and for family trips to the beach, etc. Cold weather comfort is a must on these project trips.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
jq1031

My opinion is that most Keystone TT's are pretty much equal. Some cosmetic differences, some have more (or better) appointments. The cosmetic stuff like aluminum wheels, gelcoat front cap, electric stabalizers & front electric jack are worth the money as that stuff adds to the resale value. It's a good product for the money................again, my opinion!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
wincrasher

The sprinter makes a point of saying its a laminated wall. Outback not sure, but thought I saw before it was vacubonded. Is that a difference?

Also, can't tell if one is more insulated than the other.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
ktmracer

We were in the same boat. when we were shopping we looked at the sprinter 297RET and outback 295RE. (298RE before they added a BR slideout) very similar layouts, but we picked the outback, seemed slightly better appointed, but the deal swinger was we liked the layout of the outback better for our needs. We liked the outback couch and two rockers vs. the sprinter two couches, and liked the outback bath setup better. Also liked the larger dinette in the outback. And finally, I felt the Outback dealer was much better than the sprinter. IMHO it boils down to which layout you prefer between the two, based on what I saw I'd say they are equal quality, solid mid-range trailers. Now that the outback added the third slide in the BR (298RE) the outback adds more bedroom storage space, but looses a window. The Sprinter is wood wall construction (at least when we looked) vs. al. for the Outback.

As to living in it, we found it's plenty big enough for us on long trips (a month or more) even if we went south for a few months.
And your correct, your Silverado, especially if it is a diesel, won't even know it's behind you.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
wincrasher

Sprinter now says aluminum framing, but nothing about the roof structure.

Like the kitchen and bath layout on Sprinter, but not the lack of bedroom wardrobe. Like the dual couches too. Prefer the large dinette in the outback and the vaulted ceiling, but not sure if it's really higher than in Sprinter, love the extra wardrobe slider in outback.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sprinter now says aluminum framing, but nothing about the roof structure.

Like the kitchen and bath layout on Sprinter, but not the lack of bedroom wardrobe. Like the dual couches too. Prefer the large dinette in the outback and the vaulted ceiling, but not sure if it's really higher than in Sprinter, love the extra wardrobe slider in outback.
the outback can be ordered with two couches rather than couch and rockers. Also can be ordered with dining table and chairs instead of dinette.

decisions, decisions. The rear entertainment layout is great glad there are two nice units to choose from.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
wincrasher

I bought my Outback today.

Got the 2012 298RET. Think I got a pretty good deal -33% off MSRP from a dealer in my town.

I decided on this over the Spinter because

- slide out wardrobe in the Ouback.
- Spinter would have to be ordered to get one with the fiberglass front cap
- higher ceiling in the Outback
- think the towing dynamics of Outback ay be better
- I think the Outback has slightly more storage space overall, but not more counter space. Also thought the bathroom arrangement was more spacious in the Outback.
- quality wise, I would be hard pressed to say there was a difference.

This one has the upgraded interior with leather upholstery and the painted front cap. As part of the deal, they are including a WD hitch and sway control.

I pick it up next weekend after it'ts cleaned and prepped.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
outbackmac

AC

What size AC did u get my friends purchased the 295 re and with the 13,000 btu ac and that is not enough to keep it even slightly cool. they are kicking thereselfs in athe ***. We live in cincinnati ohio
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
wincrasher

It has the 15000BTU.