Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
DReaume84

Adding fire place

Hey guys. Maybe it’s been asked before but we just bought a left over Hideout 262res a week ago. Loving the camper so far but the wife is dead set on putting a fire place under the tv. Just wondering if anyone has already done this. It looks like the spot under the tv is perfect for it. Thanks for the help and happy camping.
DReaume84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I would check to see if it was an option. Otherwise your going to have to find a way to get 110VAC power at the back. You’ll also have to measure the opening and check the dimensions of the fireplace. I’ve done a couple, not in a hideout. It’s not hard, but you need to plan and measure before you start taking anything apart.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:45 AM   #3
DReaume84

Thanks for the reply. It would be right under our tv so the 110 shouldn’t be an issue and it looks like there is a nice spot already for one. Just have to remove some panels and see what’s back there. It looks like it should be a pretty simple job so that means it probably won’t be. Lol.
DReaume84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:02 AM   #4
LewisB

When we bought our Raptor new, I thought the fireplace was "dumb" but it was in place, so we took it. Since that time, I have actually come to enjoy the fireplace (and electric heater included) and would probably want one of these in future rigs. I actually get enjoyment sitting quietly and watching this thing!

The fireplace in our raptor is a "cord & plug" device - that is, it comes with a 110V AC power cord with a 3 prong plug (just like a lamp). The trailer is set up with a single 110V AC receptacle (hidden in the cabinet under the TV) for the fireplace. It has a circuit breaker in the WFCO breaker box. I believe that is the normal setup for the fireplaces. I believe the electric heater is about 1800W, so it will need a good 15A AC dedicated circuit.

So, check your WFCO breaker box and look for an unused breaker or for a spot an additional breaker could be added. If you have or can add a breaker, disassemble the cabinet below your TV and look for an unused receptacle. If it looks like you already have or can add a new dedicated receptacle, then verify physical space and fitment for your fireplace. Fireplaces come in various sizes/styles, so shop around (eTrailer, Amazon, etc.) and find the unit of your choice. It shouldn't be too hard to create a framework for the fireplace - I think ours is a simple 1X2 frame inside the cabinet paneling around the opening with supports going down to the floor; the fireplace just rests on that. There are only 4 screws that hold the whole thing in place - it's not heavy. Be "gentle" with your disassembly - you may already have some or most of what you need.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^The one in our last trailer would be almost identical to the above. I will say that before purchase I just thought they were a wasted space gimmicky light show. But after the first year with one we not only liked watching the "fireplace" on a cold morning but also the heat it put out. It would heat the front of the unit pretty nicely while the bedroom stayed cool/cold if one of us got up earlier than the other.

As far as choosing a new unit to install; I haven't used this unit much (Furrion) but I will say 1) the type of "lighting" for the fireplace is NOT nice or pretty, 2) the first trip the glass front fell off one corner due to poor design and 3) I suspect as soon as we try to use it this winter it will fail in short order. It is a Furrion as many of the other electronics were in this trailer - they all are subpar. Get something better/nicer would be my suggestion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Don’t get a grey stone either.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
AbHDToyHauler

^^^^ I too laughed at the fireplace and thought it was a gimmick. But we started to use the electric heater and found it very convienient when trying to conserve propane and evenings in /near the Rocky mountains can be very cool. Now I love that heater/fireplace. Very handy feature. So i have learned not to judge something until I try it.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
LewisB

The fireplace referenced in my previous post is a Grey Stone W36BLFW - it was OE from Keystone and so far it has been seamless for us. Looks like it's about $300 from eTrailer. I'll include the installation/operation manual in case it helps the OP to understand how these things are mounted. Several options available.

W36BLFW_Manual.pdf
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
The fireplace referenced in my previous post is a Grey Stone W36BLFW - it was OE from Keystone and so far it has been seamless for us. Looks like it's about $300 from eTrailer. I'll include the installation/operation manual in case it helps the OP to understand how these things are mounted. Several options available.

Attachment 28821
Your one of the lucky ones. I saw about 75% failure rate of the remotes in Grand Design units. They dropped them and changed to Furrion. Better??? I didn’t have any failures before I left that dealership.