Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Spletbr

How’s the I95 corridor?

Heading to PA fro Fl. Staying in GA tonight, then SC, NC and MD. Any up to date insight on how I95 is? Rest stops, fuel stops, cops asking where we are going (home!) and why (to get home!). Hoping to avoid problems and harassment. So much has changed while we’ve been gone six weeks, and we’ve had to make a lot of itinerary changes to boot. All best, friends!
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Heading to PA fro Fl. Staying in GA tonight, then SC, NC and MD. Any up to date insight on how I95 is? Rest stops, fuel stops, cops asking where we are going (home!) and why (to get home!). Hoping to avoid problems and harassment. So much has changed while we’ve been gone six weeks, and we’ve had to make a lot of itinerary changes to boot. All best, friends!
Bro-in-law lives in TN just across the NC border and told me the NC border is closed to out of state license tags. Not sure how this affects I-95.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I am probably not going to make any friends saying this, but I have to say it: you are not doing yourself or anyone else any favors by traveling right now. Potential exposure where you were, spreading it around or picking it up every time you stop or stay along the way, and then if you can actually get home, you are going into the worst area to be in right now and will need to self-isolate for the next couple of weeks. Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your travels and continued good health, but it is a bad idea going where you are going right now.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

To me it just begs the question "why now"? If you decided to stay for the last six weeks with the ever increasing news and predictions on the effects and ramifications of travel why not stay in place for another 4 weeks?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
OldMasterTech

I95 report - Last Saturday I drove the F350 from MA to North Myrtle Beach, SC to pull our Alpine home. Was 13.5 hours, 850 miles, traffic so light as to be creepy. Stopped only for fuel, brought my own food & water. No way would I use a public restroom so isolated turnouts were a welcome sight.
Saw many State troopers, maybe even 100, but always in the median observing. I did not see any violations being issued, did see a few motorist assist situations.

Spent Sunday securing the camper and trying to enjoy one day of warm sunshine! There is still snow in my Massachusetts driveway even this morning as I write this.

Monday, pulled the Alpine home, same trip 1 hour longer, 850 miles at 14.5 hours. Last six hours very foggy, raining, dark - quite a miserable drive. Same as trip down, no traffic to speak of, except for one Ahole who decided to take a right from the passing lane into an exit ramp allowing me to test full braking capabilities of the Ford and the Alpine. Stops pretty good!

All highway fuel stations were open except the northernmost one on the NJT (Vince Lombardi service area), busy with trucks mostly, some jammed up with so many parked trucks that weaving though the property was challenging.

Toll observations - NO ATTENDANTS - EasyPass and pay by mail ONLY.

Northbound missed the 695 exit and went thru the Fort McHenry tunnel without incident. Actually was the only vehicle in my bore! I am not recommending this as technically those propane twin 30's are prohibited in the tunnel.

I made the trip without human contact because I planned it that way, self contained and aware of circumstances. Was prepared with masks, sanitizer, wipes, etc.

Stay safe, stay healthy!
2017 Escape Titanium - 2007 Shelby GT500
2007 E350 Quigley 4wd 6.0 PS
2006 F550 Lariat 6.0 PS
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #6
fatcatzzz

Traveling here in North Carolina has been a pleasure. I-95, I-40, I-85, all have been open with light traffic. Have not seen a fuel stop closed. Restrooms at the rest stops are closed, but you can park and use your own. You can not find a restaurant with dine in but there are plenty of takeout places. We came up from Fl. and it has been the same in GA, and SC. People are spreading rumors about road closures, no fuel all sorts of stuff that are just not true. BTW I have out of state plates on truck and trailer. Not all campgrounds are closed, just the state ones. We just moved into a campground near Lake Gaston and there are open for business.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
notanlines

I'd be interested in hearing from an individual who was actually turned away at a neighboring state because of out-of-state tags. I am very suspect of these rumors. Way too much Facebook involved in this....and way too many readers of Facebook!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Rhode Island (Using State Police and National Guard) IS stopping anyone with license plates (tags) from specific states, encouraging them to turn around and at a minimum identifying them, where they are going, where they are staying and then spot-checking to ensure they stay there snd self-isolate for 2 weeks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
travelin texans

Short of martial law I'm not sure individual states have the authority to prevent you from passing through on your way home. Once you're home I'm sure there would be problems heading back out again.
Like all the rumors that the Canadians need to head back due to the border being closed, it's not closed to them going back, I'd suspect however it's closed to them leaving again or US going north.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'd be interested in hearing from an individual who was actually turned away at a neighboring state because of out-of-state tags. I am very suspect of these rumors. Way too much Facebook involved in this....and way too many readers of Facebook!

I was told by the RV park owner in FL that out of state traffic was being turned away on I10 and I75. That sounded suspect to me because I had not heard that officially and it seemed pretty extreme. Talked to FL Highway Patrol and then the FL Dept. of Health. They read me the state guidelines (internal I suppose since I've not found them anywhere else) which directed what took place at the checkpoints. No one was being turned around. Anyone with plates from non designated "threat" areas were to be redirected back on the road. Anyone with plates, or verbal acknowledgement of being from those designated areas were to be directed to another area for further information gathering from each individual which was quite comprehensive. Upon completion of that they were instructed to go to the intended location and quarantine themselves (read not leave that location for any reason) for 14 days. This was to be checked randomly by FL Highway Patrol and/or other state agencies.

The above information was given to me before Gov. DeSantis made further lockdown rules so not sure how that affects the above information. I do know they said at the time that the situation was fluid and any guidelines at that time were subject to change at a minutes notice....and they did. I think that is going to be the case nationwide before long as this thing continues to grow unchecked. How far those limitations will go is anyone's guess and the reason we have chosen to stay in place, on the property, for the foreseeable future and only leave to get required essentials. Which brings up another issue we all face;

Necessities that have disappeared. We've all now seen the empty shelves of necessities brought about by hoarders and panic buyers. The end result of that is just what I experienced - having to go to the store on a daily basis just trying to get things you had to have....and it was never there. Eventually they imposed buying limits which helped some. They established senior hours, after they stocked from the incoming trucks, which helped immensely. Had to make a 6 hr. round trip yesterday (no human or store contact) but had to stop at a Walmart in an effort to find some needed items. Lo and behold they were stocking and had previously empty shelves stocked - I was in shock. Hopefully the hoarders and panic buyers have filled their needs (at others expense) and are now letting folks resume normal buying activities. Time will tell and good luck to you all.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

The private cg closures, like travel restrictions, are a "state edict" state enforced issue. Here in MD private cgs are closed to all "unless the person has no reasonable alternative" which I think anyone with 1/2 a brain would interpret as anyone that uses a camper as their only residence can stay. If you just want to camp don't leave your home. The governor made this proclamation at noon with 8 hrs to comply. Another reason not to go "enjoying the light traffic" and take that long trip, conditions are changing rapidly.

I've said this before but I feel it bears repeating, IMHO traveling, especially on the East Coast right now for truly "non essential" reasons (picking up you're camper for instance) is reckless at best. Let's look at this realistically.

This pandemic seems to "like" to infect "older" folks with comorbidities' such as diabetes, heart disease, lung diseased, smokers, immune compromised folks (cancer survivors, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and the list goes on. So, how many of us have one of these? OK, now raise you're hand if you have 2,3, or more of these? I'll bet there's a bunch. So now we have vulnerability, let's consider "speed of onset". Many reports of people going from mild symptoms to sever even life threatening in less than 24 hrs. So, with this info let's pile in and drive for hours and hours.

No risk because you (here's the keyword because it's all about you) have this handled. All figured out, don't need to get close to anyone so you (there's that word again) are "safe". You, have outsmarted those "knee jerk" idiots with all their experience in medicine and public safety. You have taken advantage of all the "complaint" people that are staying home so You can enjoy the "empty highways". Those fools are staying home and giving up their livelihoods and possibly their future so you can have it easy. How nice of them.

Now here's another well known fact: the most dangerous thing any American can do is travel in a motor vehicle on the road. Better chance of death and injury than standing under a tree during a thunderstorm. Ah, but you are a "good driver"! Many good drivers die in auto wrecks every year due to circumstances not of their own doing. So, instead of a drunk driver, let's say a healthcare worker exhausted from working 100 hrs this week falls asleep behind the wheel. Maybe that old man heading to his "drive up testing" passes out at the wheel. Maybe you, do the same. OK, I know now you're saying "he's full of it, these things aren't happening and if the are what's the risk? Minimal right? Yes they are minimal but what's the impact of that "minimal" risk?

. Let's say the terrible happens and what's different from an accident today VS one a few months ago. A few months ago if you are smeared all over the road the EMT's typically arrive quickly with lot's of life saving equipment. Then you're transported to a nearby trauma center where immediately you are attended to by a "team" of doctors, nurses, and technicians, often a team of 6, sometimes many more, all in an effort to save one life. That's what they are there for, it's what they do, normally.

. Today it may be a very different situation. The entire medical system is under great strains. That EMT crew may be "bagging" a patient at a nursing home, transporting a child from one hospital to another. When you get to that trauma center the "team" of 6 maybe a lot less now. How many more patients can get care if they break up that team? Oh, and since "you" are most important this affects "you". So while you weight the risk to yourself have you considered the risk to others?

What I have expressed here are of course my opinions. My opinions are based on reading facts from the CDC. They are based on speaking with my BIL who is a doctor at Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. He"s been there over 25 years and tells me about the hospital telling nurses to hang their N95 masks for the next shift to use" (he's using his own personal mask with replaceable filters from the SARS epidemic). He tells me about the strain on the system. My opinions are from information from a relative that's a Chief at a Volunteer Fire EMS station just outside of Philadelphia, PA. The shortages of protective gear, the issues of the hospital treating patients on the ambo gurney because there's no bed to put the patient on. These are some examples of my sources. I don't Facebook, I don't read tabloids, and I don't watch "news" that poses as news but is really opinion based.

I think we all are experiencing "cabin fever" and "hitch itch" but let's take a minute to think of others. I'm not advocating heading underground and eating MREs but just use some common sense. And please, also realize that there are folks here who are new to camping so when you are relating you're experiences add some context as to where and when as many have been doing. The conditions where I live aren't as bad a NYC but many times worse than in an isolated town in the high desert out west.

I wish well to all. Take care, help others if you can and think of others always.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #12
Spletbr

Update: home safe. Traffic so light it was almost creepy. Mainly commercial. No problem with fuel (wear gloves and dispose of properly) and stops (our own bathroom). Some ask why not stay put in campground or park. Well, day by day you get a little more anxious and concerned watching or reading the news to where we finally figured if we’re gonna get sick it’s better to be home. Out of the pot and into the fire? Perhaps. But if it’s going to flame this is where we want the heat. Selfish. I don’t think so.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:00 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Glad you made it home safely. Just hunker down and enjoy the relaxation time and stay safe!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #14
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Way too much Facebook involved in this....and way too many readers of Facebook!
You sure got that RIGHT!
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #15
Badbart56

We have made two trips from Canada to Miami this week. Traffic is light. The only state that is monitoring traffic is Florida with Troopers screening passengers and turning those away that are incoming from "hot" states such as New York, New Jersey and Louisiana that I'm aware of. Rest areas are open, but porta pottys are in the parking lots of many as the facilities are locked and no attendants around. Truck stops are all open but only take out fast food in most. We carry lots of food with us and have refrigerators and a microwave so we are good. Those working paycheck to paycheck not doing so well. Some sleeping in their cars. We are truly blessed. We left a company in January after being offered this job, That company posted $70 million in losses last week. The company we work for now, get this, only hauls refrigerated pharmaceuticals! I think The Lord was looking out for us. Stay home if you can. Hopefully this will play out soon. I know we're all ready for that to happen. Be safe in your travels.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
We have made two trips from Canada to Miami this week. Traffic is light. The only state that is monitoring traffic is Florida with Troopers screening passengers and turning those away that are incoming from "hot" states such as New York, New Jersey and Louisiana that I'm aware of. Rest areas are open, but porta pottys are in the parking lots of many as the facilities are locked and no attendants around. Truck stops are all open but only take out fast food in most. We carry lots of food with us and have refrigerators and a microwave so we are good. Those working paycheck to paycheck not doing so well. Some sleeping in their cars. We are truly blessed. We left a company in January after being offered this job, That company posted $70 million in losses last week. The company we work for now, get this, only hauls refrigerated pharmaceuticals! I think The Lord was looking out for us. Stay home if you can. Hopefully this will play out soon. I know we're all ready for that to happen. Be safe in your travels.
So I'm gathering your travels were in a commercial vehicle for a vital reason. Just clarifying in case someone reads the first couple of sentences and get a sense of "all's well".
Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Jeff,

Thank you for the report and more important, thank you for hauling medical supplies to people who need them.

Stay safe and healthy out there !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #18
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So I'm gathering your travels were in a commercial vehicle for a vital reason. Just clarifying in case someone reads the first couple of sentences and get a sense of "all's well".
Yes, we haul refrigerated pharmaceuticals all over the states and Canada.

2010 FZ 405

Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #19
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Bro-in-law lives in TN just across the NC border and told me the NC border is closed to out of state license tags. Not sure how this affects I-95.
A friend that lives in western NC stated that the Blue Ridge Pkwy is shut down. Not sure why but that's the only road in NC that I'm aware of.

2010 FZ 405

Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
A friend that lives in western NC stated that the Blue Ridge Pkwy is shut down. Not sure why but that's the only road in NC that I'm aware of.
Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive (the Virginia part of it) are part of and controlled by the National Park Service.

For info/restrictions for Blue Ridge: https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

For Skyline Drive: https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/alerts.htm