Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
markjamestx

Recurring Electric Brake Issue

Just needing to know if anyone out there has had this brake issue. Last May, we had a tire blowout on the passenger/door side rear axle on our 31' BKPR Bullet Premier. No problem, fixed the damage and got new tires and checked out the rim. All good to go, took off for a 3k mile trip, came home and took off again for a 6k mile trip. Heading home in late August, we lost the electric brake at the same location as the tire blowout. When it failed, we removed the drum and the parts literally fell out. Got home, changed out all of the brakes with complete genuine Dexter brake assemblies on all four hubs. Well, just got home from a 2k mile trip to Florida and the same brake assembly failed exactly as it did in August. My question is this, could be the brake drum? FYI - both axles have new HD suspension components with wet bolts.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Wxman

Not exactly what you are asking, but related. I replaced my OEM brakes with new, self-adjusting Dexter assemblies. One failed in less than 2000 miles, and, like you said the parts just fell out when I removed the drum.
Just saying, it does happen.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
markjamestx

Thanks Wxman, mine are self-adjusting as well. My question is why the same brake assembly after a tire blowout. Are they related?

Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

when you say that you replaced the brake shoes and magnets, did you replace the entire assembly, backer plate, shoes, magnet, springs adjusting star as a "complete assembly" or did you buy replacement shoes and a new magnet and 'rebuild the existing backer plate" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
markjamestx

I replaced everything from the spindle out including the pressure plate and everything else

Old 02-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
bobbecky

Just guessing here, but the common part from the original failed brakes to the failed replacement brake assembly sounds like maybe you have an issue with the hub/drum assembly. Maybe that is trashing the brake backing plate assembly. I had a failed backing plate assembly almost a year ago, found it when inspecting brakes and packing bearings. That was the point where I decided to upgrade to electric over hydraulic disc brakes, one of my best decisions for our rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote