Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Solid Steps vs Folding Steps

We have another thread going that mentions the above steps indirectly. I did not want to redirect that thread to the steps question so figured I would start a different thread.

We are to pick up a new High Country within the next month or so. It has the solid steps which we always thought we would like due to the added stability. On the other hand, we have always had folding steps so don't know that we would miss something we've never had.

A question that came to our mind after reading most of those posts was the space taken up when trying to open/close. Does anyone have any idea exactly how far the extend from the side of the trailer (not slide) when deployed at a 90 degree angle to the side? Our concern is the storage facility where we keep the RV. Currently we can center our RV and open slides on one side fully and partially deploy the other side. We're concerned that the solid steps will extend so far that the bay won't be wide enough to either open the steps or the slides, or both.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Have you checked any websites that sell or manufacturer web site? I'd think they would list the length somewhere for the number of steps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny: there are two brands, Lippert and Morryde, If you cant find any info on-line and can tell me the model # of the steps your coach is getting I may be able to find a set on our lot.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
jsb5717

When available space is an issue for folding up and down the steps I have pointed people to the TorkLift Glow Step. It's more money but provides both the better stability and also the ability to open it in just about any kind of available space.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I believe I was told they were Morryde. I've looked at all kinds of them using Google but not sure what comes as "standard" equipment on the Keystones. I have also looked at the Glow Steps which seem like they may be an excellent compromise between the 2. I can probably get the dealership to make that measurement now that I think about it. Just don't want an unexpected surprise when I pull it in...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Brentw

I have moryde 4 step. Legs extended 1 hole, approx 52 inches from side of trailer at 90 degrees.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

This probably won't answer your direct question, but the space required is "directly related to the measured height from the floor of the trailer to the top of the stored step"...

What I mean by that is: When the stored step swings out, the ENTIRE distance from the floor of the trailer to the top of the step is the ENTIRE distance between the side of the trailer and the edge of the parking space.

So, if the stored step is 42" from the trailer floor to the top of the step, then when you swing it down to the "use position" it will "arc through the entire 42". That means you'll need 42" of clearance between you and the next trailer that's parked in the storage lot, the rest area space or the next object (like a tree, a fence, a bush or a picnic table).

Think of it as the "1/3 arc of a circle" as the steps swing down to touch the ground....

While you can adjust the screw in levelers to gain an inch or two, typically, it's the entire "swing down arc" that makes them difficult to open in tight spaces.

Where it "gets tricky" is when you're in a rest area, inside the trailer, eating lunch and someone pulls into the spot next to you, "a bit too close" and you can't swing the steps up to store them because they parked "too close to close the steps"..... Or you park in the storage lot and someone parks next to you making it impossible for you to open your steps to get inside the trailer until you hitch up and pull forward enough so the steps will clear the obstruction (the trailer that's parked too close)… For me, the problem isn't that you can't open the door (26-30" wide) on your trailer so much as it's that you can't "crawl over the stored steps to get inside"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
vampress_me

John, I hate to disagree, but they will be longer than your example I think? Your measurement is the “long leg” of a right triangle. The length of the steps themselves will be the hypotenuse of that triangle since they do not run vertical like a ladder. So, it is the length of that hypotenuse that will be the radius of your circle, not the distance from the floor of the camper to the ground. In your example of 42” from floor to ground, you will need more than 42” of clearance out from your camper to swing the steps out or in.

On edit: Ha! Reread your comment for the third time (no excuse, it’s snowing here and I’m thinking a nap sounds good!) and see we are saying basically the same thing in different ways. I was reading yours as floor to ground distance instead of floor to top of STORED steps. My bad reading, sorry!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
John, I hate to disagree, but they will be longer than your example I think? Your measurement is the “long leg” of a right triangle. The length of the steps themselves will be the hypotenuse of that triangle since they do not run vertical like a ladder. So, it is the length of that hypotenuse that will be the radius of your circle, not the distance from the floor of the camper to the ground. In your example of 42” from floor to ground, you will need more than 42” of clearance out from your camper to swing the steps out or in.

On edit: Ha! Reread your comment for the third time (no excuse, it’s snowing here and I’m thinking a nap sounds good!) and see we are saying basically the same thing in different ways. I was reading yours as floor to ground distance instead of floor to top of STORED steps. My bad reading, sorry!
I was just about to "quote me and quote you"... I see, "on your edit" that we're both saying the same thing.... With the step "stored in travel position", when you open the trailer door, the distance from the trailer floor to the top of the STORED step will be the distance you'll need for them to swing down as they "arc out and away from the trailer floor pivot point". That arc has, for many people, stranded them either in the storage lot or in a rest area parking space.

In storage, if you can't get inside the trailer to raise the leveling system (or to get the remote control if you left it in the trailer) will make for a long day of trying to get hitched.

If parked in a rest area and an 18 wheeler or another trailer tow-er pulls in next to you, a tad too close, then it's going to be next to impossible to "swing the steps up" so you can get back on the road again....

They (the swing down steps) have a lot of good points, but they are not "the best thing since sliced bread" in all situations.....

And, yes, we're saying the same thing in slightly different ways....

No snow here (yet) we're supposed to get 5-7 inches starting about 5PM today lasting through around 5AM tomorrow morning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
They (the swing down steps) have a lot of good points, but they are not "the best thing since sliced bread" in all situations.....

And, yes, we're saying the same thing in slightly different ways....

No snow here (yet) we're supposed to get 5-7 inches starting about 5PM today lasting through around 5AM tomorrow morning.
I totally agree with you! Hubby and I are in process of looking for a new fifth wheel that doesn’t have bunks since kids aren’t camping with us like they used too/ are about to graduate HS. All have the new steps. I’m not thrilled. At our “normal summer spot” we have a low deck built that the current pull out steps work great with. The new style steps would not work, at all. So I’m looking at having to remove them while we are parked there, and then reinstall them, every time we go somewhere. Pain in my backside! And if I truly remove them for good, I will have to cut out the skirt for old style steps and have to deal with holes in the camper floor...yuk!

DD is returning with her Model UN school group from the Chicago conference/ competition tonight. They get to drive right through it all on the school’s charter bus. I’m hoping they have a good driver!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Tbos

Keep in mind the legs of the solid steps can be retracted to reduce the amount of space needed to get them out. However if you can’t open the door all the way you won’t be able to deploy the steps. So far we haven’t had an issue but we don’t have anyone next to us where we store the Alpine.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
bobbecky

So glad our rig came with the folding steps. We just upgraded to the GlowStep Revolution and added the accessory GlowGuide handrail for when we are at a site longer than overnight. Yes, a little pricey, but these things are rock solid, don't fold inside, and can be used in very tight spaces, don't have to be extended all the way to use, and, are made in the USA with no imported parts.
https://www.torklift.com/atv-marine-...tep-revolution

This is our steps with the hand rail attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TorkLift steps and handrail.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	25099  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #13
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
So glad our rig came with the folding steps. We just upgraded to the GlowStep Revolution and added the accessory GlowGuide handrail for when we are at a site longer than overnight. Yes, a little pricey, but these things are rock solid, don't fold inside, and can be used in very tight spaces, don't have to be extended all the way to use, and, are made in the USA with no imported parts.

. That is cool I think adjustable screw legs would work better for uneven ground .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #14
fatcatzzz

I have the Morryde 4 steps and mine are 47" with leg pined in the shortest hole. You can get another 3" shorter with the pins out. So 44" at 90 degs to trailer is the best you can do. This has not been a problem for us, but we don't put our rig in storage.
Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #15
Roscommon48

This is the potential problem with these steps. Good luck
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
LewisB

We have the Morryde 4 steps...I am not a big fan.
  • In addition to the problem already discussed (swing out wide),
  • These steps are a pain to use while travelling. If we pull over to the side of the road, it seems like we ALWAYS have to fiddle around with the ground level adjustments on the bottom. You can't use the steps without being firmly in contact with the ground (too short) and you can't close the door or screen if they are too high (long).
  • Plus, you have the ability to destroy either the steps or your entry door if you inadvertently leave these steps out with the door closed while changing the Level-Up system (setup, take down, or re-level). It's easier to do than you might think.
They are stable when down so they are good when parked. But I'm not sure I would recommend them if you move your rig & travel a lot. Seems like the (-)'s outweight the (+)'s. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
Carl n Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post

Not only are they everything Bob said, they also have three top step adjustments heights and five inches of bottom leg adjustment. They can adapt to all kinds of ground height and slope.

They are the best thing I have ever added to my RV!!!
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #18
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
. That is cool I think adjustable screw legs would work better for uneven ground .
They do have adjustable legs, not screws but with detent buttons.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #19
okie2tex

My main trouble with the solid steps is I can’t reach the door handle or lock until I step almost all the way up. Then after I get the door a little bit open, I have to back down the steps to get it open enough to go in. Anybody else have this problem?
okie2tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #20
Jmelvin

Other downsides of non folding steps.

I currently own a 2018 Keystone springdale with the folding steps. When shopping for it the non folding steps were a deal buster. My brother bought a Jayco with the rigid steps. His steps have ripped up the floor in his doorway beause of use. Every time you move around in the trailer it moves while the steps are very stiff and the upper attachment point is not able to move. He was going to do some cleaning and did not put down the stabilizers, just had the trailer on wheels and trailer hitch post jack. With all the moving around in the trailer, the 6 screws that hold the steps to the floor in the doorway were chewing up the plywood they were in, with the result that when he went to put them away the top came loose from the floor and the whole thing fell to the ground. He had to move the screws to different positions in the attachment plate to reattach the steps. Just a matter of time before they strip out in the new position.
Jmelvin is offline   Reply With Quote