Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your 2016 F250 is like my 2015 F250, I don't believe you can change out the valve stems to metal stems that will support the weight of an aftermarket TPMS cap. If you remove the OEM valve stems (with the TPMS system inside the wheel attached to the valve stem) you'll have to have the computer 'reflashed" to turn off the factory TPMS warning light (or cover it with tape so you don't see it). I don't believe you'll find a dealership that will "disconnect a safety device" and I'm not sure that they could "legally do it anyway".... Think about a dealership turning off the seatbelt interface, none that I know would modify your truck to remove a safety feature.

So, in short, I don't think the existing valve stems on your truck would support the TPMS caps without bending and I don't think you can turn off the OEM TPMS and I don't think you can change out the valve stems without modifying the OEM computer settings. I don't think you'd gain anything in the process and may create problems with broken/leaking valve stems. The TPMS stems aren't cheap to replace and you have to "remove the tire to change them out.

I wouldn't recommend the aftermarket system for your truck. YMMV

that's interesting they would use rubber stems with the sensor attached inside the rim. Thought they were always metal stems.

You can actually turn off the TPMS yourself if your tech savy. There is a program called FORscan that allows you to make all kinds of changes. I have enabled remote start and added just the module for mine and several friends. Saves several hundreds from having the dealer take 5 minutes to reflash to computer. I probably wont go to all that trouble now as my tires are relatively fresh and no sense spending the money to take them off just to put on new stems. Would be nice to have real time monitoring and use up more of the display than just the 4 trailer tires though
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
that's interesting they would use rubber stems with the sensor attached inside the rim. Thought they were always metal stems.

You can actually turn off the TPMS yourself if your tech savy. There is a program called FORscan that allows you to make all kinds of changes. I have enabled remote start and added just the module for mine and several friends. Saves several hundreds from having the dealer take 5 minutes to reflash to computer. I probably wont go to all that trouble now as my tires are relatively fresh and no sense spending the money to take them off just to put on new stems. Would be nice to have real time monitoring and use up more of the display than just the 4 trailer tires though
The aftermarket TPMS offers more "monitoring" than the OEM Ford system, at least on my truck. All I can monitor is "Pressure too low". I can't get a readout of the actual pressure in the tire and also there's no temperature monitoring. On most aftermarket TPMS monitoring, there's "actual PSI" visibility as well as "actual temperature" monitoring. All I get is an "idiot light to check pressure".

I do like the PSI monitoring in DW's Edge. It is "real time pressure" but still no temperature readout. It's an improvement over my truck, but still not as much information as the aftermarket systems.

For me, it's not worth the hassle to dismount tires, change valve stems, reflash the computer to get something else to sit on the dash, fight the glare and have to hide when we park in "hostile territory where thieves abound"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

How much air loss are you getting removing/installing a cap? Even with my carpel tunnel hands I don't loose a 1/4 p.s.i. on the 15" tires. I don't sweat anything <1 psi differential as I'm not racing on a NASCAR track.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #24
GHen

FYI, there are regular and short metal stems, I put the short on my factory rims.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #25
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I<clip>But, that said, for the life of me, I can't imagine any condition that would "require me to deflate a tire in a hurry".... Can you???
John

If memory fails me correctly (it's been several years, but then again - I can't remember what I did yesterday either!) the person I spoke with was more concerned with the vehicle sitting on the side of the road with traffic whizzing by and me trying to put air in the tire. Without the lock nut it can be done much more quickly! I did have to remove the sensor once when I got a "NOS" error (no signal - but I didn't know that at the time; turned it out it was a bad battery) and I had no idea what was going on. That is what prompted the call to the factory; it was a pain with the lock nut on it.

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #26
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
Question 2. If I just turn the monitor off does that save the batteries in the caps from going bad prematurely or is there something else I should do to extend battery life when it is just sitting here in the driveway for the winter.
I was recommended to remove the cap batteries while the trailer is stored for the winter to extend their life.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
ChuckS

With the TST 507 sensors just remove the sensors from the valve stems. Once pressure is not detected the batteries in the senders are not being used. No need to remove batteries. On my TST507 system I leave the sensors on Year round. I get two years use out of sensor batteries.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #28
sonofcy

Quote:
So today I installed my tire pressure monitor and have a couple of questions that the instructions did not really cover for those that would be running the same system. It is a TST 507 with pressure monitoring caps.

Question 1. How many of you are actually use the anti-theft nut. I do not think the nuts are going to keep anyone from stealing them. If they want them bad enough they are going to figure out how to take them (more then likely would be cutting the valve stem which would be a bigger pain then having to buy a new sensor). I personally would not be real worried someone taking them.

Question 2. If I just turn the monitor off does that save the batteries in the caps from going bad prematurely or is there something else I should do to extend battery life when it is just sitting here in the driveway for the winter.
I doubt the anti-theft will stop anybody. Your comment about cutting them off though worries me you may be using rubber stems which is a nono. Upgrade to brass stems or stainless unless you have aluminum rims then only brass. If you don't know why and need to find out call the factory.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #29
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
When I called the "factory" about a different issue I asked about the nuts. They said not to use them unless I was camping in an area that I was particularly worried about the locals walking off with the sensors. They stated the nut would make it a challenge to get the sensor off the tire in a hurry if there was a need to do so. I haven't used them since.
Does it stare this in the manual?
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #30
Ranchhand

The instructions that came with the kit said you only needed steel valve stems if you are using the flow through sensors.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #31
apachewolf

Smile

Quote:
So today I installed my tire pressure monitor and have a couple of questions that the instructions did not really cover for those that would be running the same system. It is a TST 507 with pressure monitoring caps.

Question 1. How many of you are actually use the anti-theft nut. I do not think the nuts are going to keep anyone from stealing them. If they want them bad enough they are going to figure out how to take them (more then likely would be cutting the valve stem which would be a bigger pain then having to buy a new sensor). I personally would not be real worried someone taking them.

I got a set and I remove them at the campground if we are there more than a week. Also remove them upon arriving home. The last set of batteries in the sensors lasted over 4 years.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #32
LewisB

Tpms

We have the 507 and purchased the flow through sensors to avoid having to remove the sensors to change tire pressure.

1. Yes, we use the "anti-theft" lock nuts, but more for keeping the sensor from working loose than from worry about theft. It doesn't interfere with the flow through sensor so there is no good reason (in my mind) NOT to use it. We have metal valve stems with load range G tires at 110 psi.

2. Turning off the monitor only saves the on-board battery of the monitor; if you want to save the sensor batteries, they have to be removed and will shut off with no pressure applied. In my mind, since they last a year or two, why mess with them twice a year?

We love the 507 over some of the other brands because it transmits pressures/temperatures without the need to be spinning. So I can check pressures while I'm hooking up and in the yard.

From the side, the flow through sensors would appear to stick out significantly. But from the top, it's not all that bad - the cap of the sensor is just peeking out under the hub cap. See the attached two photos - click on the photo to see it full sized. We have not had any issues hitting these sensors to date. I really like this system!
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view of sensor.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	25091

Click image for larger version

Name:	top view of sensor.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	25092
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #33
Rubicon100

Thanks for the pictures, it answered my questions about which one to get.
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #34
rlh1957

Tst

I don’t use the lock nuts. No problems so far.
Batteries are cheap and I keep spares. Seem to last a year, and if one gives flaky readings I change a battery.
I do remove them when storing/winterizing to minimize battery drain.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #35
CT Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I have the flow through sensors. When I put them on I was concerned about the length of them too. We never get close enough to curbs for them to catch, but I did catch one with the tire wrench once and broke the valve stem. We have almost 20,000 miles on ours with no other problems.
A lot of people reccommend metal valve stems, but they don't fit our rims as the valve stem holes on ours are countersunk.
I'm glad I went for the flow through sensors because it's easier to fill the tires. Every time I put the sensors on or take them off, a little air escapes which would make getting the correct pressure right a bit tricky with the caps.
I have both flow through and just the cap type. The instructions for the flow thrones say you need metal stems because they are heavier and stick out more so when the wheel is spinning it causes the valve stem to flex more. I have wheels with a recess for the stem and finding stems to fit isn’t easy. My tire dealer did the research and ordered the ones to fit for me.
As for the anti theft device, I used the set screw on the stem for the flow through ones and had someone try to remove it and broke it. That’s when I replaced it with the cap style and no anti-theft protection. I had my truck parked for three days at a remote park while we camped in the back country.
CT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #36
Mr Mojo

I use the locking nuts mainly for what others have said-to keep them from possibly vibrating loose. I think anyone with a strong grip could probably spin them off anyway, but also, I now have four less nuts laying around in my garage.
Mr Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote