Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don’t carry a temp gun or make it a point to feel my hubs at every stop.
Is this a condition that a TPMS with temperature reporting would pick up on, or would the heat not show up in that area?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
ajk170

LHaven- I thinks that's a good question, I'm hoping somebody that has more knowledge might be able to weigh in on that. I know my initial thought is to check the hubs through either touch or an IR reader when on a break, but of the TPMS can give you something while in motion that would be even better.

John- thanks for the pointing out the cotter pins, I've found that I cannot never underestimate the obvious because there's not a lot that can be used as a substitute in some situations.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Not all Dexter axles use cotter pins. I just did a 4400 lb axle that used a locking ring that clipped over the nut.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #24
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Not all Dexter axles use cotter pins. I just did a 4400 lb axle that used a locking ring that clipped over the nut.
Ditto on chuckster's comment. My '13 Cougar had the clips also.
Attached Images

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Ditto on chuckster's comment. My '13 Cougar had the clips also.
I'm halfway through replacing the Chinese bearings on my '18 Outback 272UFL. I also have the clips like joej. They are a lot better to work with than cotter pins, I can tell you!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
Harleydodge

Yep, clips on my axles as well.

I just went through this with ours. Did a maintenance check and found one leaking seal. I ended up replacing the bearing and seal on that wheel, even though the bearing was in mint shape. I kept the old bearing and ordered an extra seal, so I now have a spare I keep in a ziplock.

Suggest you do the same if you're having it serviced anyway. That way you'll have the peace of mind of new bearings and seals on the trailer, plus you'll have a spare (or 2 or 4?).

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #27
ajk170

HarleyDodge- that's good advice, since I can afford to replace the ones I have, I could swap out the OEMs with a better ones (suggestions? Timkin?) and if the OEMs are in OK shape, use those as the spares but get new seals, grease, clips/cotter pins (thanks gents for pointing out the difference) and races and seal in a bag and break glass when needed!
Old 08-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #28
gearhead

Timken bearings are about the best for this application. I have used generic Oreillys Auto Parts seals but I got Dexter seals the last time. Buy an extra seal, they're easy to bugger up installing.
Bearings ain't rocket surgery but they're easy to screw up even if you've done hundreds. I think Dexter may have video of bearing maintenance. Good info if nothing else but background knowledge.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #29
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Is this a condition that a TPMS with temperature reporting would pick up on, or would the heat not show up in that area?
I've thought about that, a little. There is a fair amount of mass that would have to transfer the heat to the wheels and then to the TPMS. I'm thinking by the time the drum soaked up the heat and transferred it to the wheels, the grease may have failed.
I use a laser temp gun and shoot my tires and drums at most stops. Try to use the same spot on tires and drums.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #30
ajk170

Gearhead- thanks for validating the Timken bearings! I watched the the dexter youtube you suggested - like you said, good background knowledge, gives me a good idea where to find the info I need once I check my axles as well as the parts needed. I think I"m going to have the RV service center that I go to do this and inspect/replace the brakes and I'll take the time to do it with them so I can see what "right looks like". Although replacing the entire hub maybe overkill when on the road (not to mention takes up a bit of space) it does seem like that would be a lot easier to replace than all the bearings. I think my challenge would be finding an acceptable place to store large benchstock.

Also, would this work to raise the wheel up to either replace the bearings or the entire hub if on the road and realize there is a bearing problem? I carry this as a way to jack up the trailer if I need to change the tire.

Dexter Bearing Maintenance

Trailer-Aid Tire Changing Ramp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #31
Ken / Claudia

Just my opinion, if you have never repacked bearings in your driveway or some where besides the roadway. You should not attempt it on the road side. Having 1 set of bearing and several seals is in case the shop you need to use while traveling does not have or know what parts to order, you give them the parts.
Repacking bearing is somewhat easy, but real messy and if done wrong it did not fix anything. I carry extra bearings and a grease gun. Likely will not change them myself on the road.
I put grease into zerks, being doing so around 20 years on 17 different axles, that's 34 wheels. Never had a seal blow out yet. Maybe some day I will. 1st you determine if more grease is needed, you jack the wheel/tire off the ground, pump a couple times rotating the wheel and most important watch the cup, as soon as it moves outward, stop.
Another really good idea, get the Dexter phone number out of your manual etc. phone them with your trailer VIN. Within a short time you will get all the information on all parts they used (the build sheet), from Dexter. Keep that in the trailer with the other manuals.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #32
ajk170

Ken/Claudia - I think that's a very fair point and one that I have thought for a long time. I mentioned it in my first few responses- that this has always seemed to be a rather intensive operation and not something to be done on the side of the road (or in a Flying J parking lot). But what prompted my question was this idea that seems to come out of over threads that there is something easy that can be done if you sense a hub issue either through feeling the hubs, IR guns or somebody flags you down due to smoke from your axles.

From a lot of the responses, pulling the tire for better inspection is the only way to validate the problem and hanging new parts or repacking is the only apparent remedy. I really like the idea of carrying some level of parts either for me to do myself or a service tech to do (which I think you agree with - having another person use your parts). I'm really liking the idea of a separate hub assembly that is already lubed - but that's a significant expense, takes up a lot of space and may not be entirely necessary for just a repack. The reason I like it is it appears to be relatively easy once you have the tire off. And in the event of a more catastropic loss, I may need the entire hub anyways.

But your point about the preventive maintenance is spot on as well. I think several people echoed your point that preventative measures will more than likely ensure a safe travel/vacation. Although some have pointed out they too did preventative maintenance yet still had a failure - so it sounds like it maybe more 70/30 odds that if you do regular preventative maintenance on major sub-assemblies you'll be ok and some parts as a bench-stock can be the insurance to a successful trip in the event of a maintenance breakdown.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #33
firestation12

Here's a bearing chart from e-trailer that might help finding what fits your camper.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-popular...eelBearing-edu
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #34
Andymil

If you find a hub that is hot, a few pumps of grease might help get you down the road. You may be taking a chance of pushing grease past the seal, but I don’t know what else you could do besides disassembly. I had fresh grease help a front wheel bearing on a truck years ago. It lasted a couple hundred miles until I could change it. Of course it didn’t have a zirk fitting on it.

Lucas Red “N” Tacky and Mystik JT-6 are I also good choices for grease.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #35
ajk170

Firestation- thank you for the reference! This is a great tool!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #36
ajk170

Andymil- Thanks for the specific grease reference! Gearhead made the recommendation of Mobile 1 which seems like a premium grease as well. Until I have the parts on hand at minimum, you maybe right that a few pumps of grease (while rotating the tire) maybe the only thing available to a person, esp. if you have to keep moving to get to somewhere better than where you are.

There have been a few people that talked about using the grease fittings and I'll have to go back and see if they specifically said how to tell when there was enough via pumping in through the fitting (while rotating the tire). I"ll have to go back and check it. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #37
cavediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Gearhead- thanks for validating the Timken bearings! I watched the the dexter youtube you suggested - like you said, good background knowledge, gives me a good idea where to find the info I need once I check my axles as well as the parts needed. I think I"m going to have the RV service center that I go to do this and inspect/replace the brakes and I'll take the time to do it with them so I can see what "right looks like". Although replacing the entire hub maybe overkill when on the road (not to mention takes up a bit of space) it does seem like that would be a lot easier to replace than all the bearings. I think my challenge would be finding an acceptable place to store large benchstock.

Also, would this work to raise the wheel up to either replace the bearings or the entire hub if on the road and realize there is a bearing problem? I carry this as a way to jack up the trailer if I need to change the tire.

Dexter Bearing Maintenance

Trailer-Aid Tire Changing Ramp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some things don't change, that's exactly how I was taught to do it in the Navy 50 years ago.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #38
larryflew

Our aftermarket TPMS never got to temp alarm even with an axle bad enough to be on fire. It showed higher temp but not enough to get to alarm status. That was YEARS ago. Now do the walk around with infrared temp gauge at every stop.

Bearing maintenance had been done so it was a freak accident. Lucky there was a large truck maintenance and repair company near by. They tied the axle up so it could be towed back to their shop. Pulled the axle and we limped a couple miles on one to a mom and pop campground where we stayed for a day while they did the repairs. HUGE PITA and $1500 later we where back on the road to home.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #39
GHen

It’s a roll of the dice if you’re going to have an bearing issue (or a blow out or a valve stem failure), but the risk to bearings can be minimized with some initial and annual maintenance. My daughters rig (2000 miles on it)needed some maintenance and when while we had the tire off we decided to check the bearings. The bearing hardly had any grease on them, and they certainly were not well hand packed with grease.
I agree with all of above. New rigs need bearings checked and repacked earlier rather than later, that one step should reduce your odds of a failure dramatically, but not completely. I also like the idea of carrying one set of bearings and seals for long trips, it’s not that much money and takes up virtually no space.
I would also guess if you check temps regularly and you find a hub getting hot, you should get yourself under 50mph and you should be able to get to the next town.
I watch my temps on the TPMS but with the advice above I’ll start using the temp gun again at stops.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #40
AbHDToyHauler

I agree with carrying at least one spare bearing set, seals,grease etc . I also would check and service annually , depending on useage of course. Only use good quality parts . I personally would carry the tools to fix a bearing on side of road , "BUT" only if in a safe location. I always check all wheels for heat or signs of failure at every stop (do a walk around) and feel the wheels. If i found a hot one I would at least now have options such as repairing, re-greasing or finding a nearby shop that could help me. Each person must decide the level of competence they are capable of though.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, how to fix wheel bearings, side of the road, wheel bearings