Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
pstltaz

AC question

2017 springdale 311re.
Ac fan not moving air well. Discharge temp 60 degrees. Indoor filters clean. Went on roof. Evap. Coil frozen over. Used blowdryer to defrost coil. No signs of refrigerant leak. Ac fan blowing normal now with discharge temp 46/48 degrees. 96 degree outside temp, very high humidity set trailer up yesterday and yes it was hot inside. My question, what caused the freez up. Never had this problem before and it's working fine at the moment.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Bob.
pstltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstltaz View Post
2017 springdale 311re.
Ac fan not moving air well. Discharge temp 60 degrees. Indoor filters clean. Went on roof. Evap. Coil frozen over. Used blowdryer to defrost coil. No signs of refrigerant leak. Ac fan blowing normal now with discharge temp 46/48 degrees. 96 degree outside temp, very high humidity set trailer up yesterday and yes it was hot inside. My question, what caused the freez up. Never had this problem before and it's working fine at the moment.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Bob.
Set the thermostat fan switch to "hi".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
pstltaz

Thermostat switch is/ was on high.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The freeze plug sensor is inserted into the evaporator coils (inside the warm air return). If it is inserted too low in the coils, it will not prevent freeze-up in the coils. You might try moving the freeze sensor up an inch or so and monitor for performance. While the "factory setting" is usually OK for most installations, occasionally a bit of 'tweaking to get the best performance" is required on some rigs.

Here's a photo of the freeze sensor, you might check yours to be sure it's properly inserted (hasn't vibrated out of position) and is high enough in the coils to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR CONDITIONER FREEZE SENSOR..jpg
Views:	297
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	22639  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
pstltaz

I did notice when I thawed the evap, the sensor was just hanging in the air almost resting on top of the plasti cover that houses the air filters. I did address that. Any ideas why the freezing occurred in the first place ?
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

The sensor is supposed to cycle the unit into a defrost mode to keep it running efficiently. Mine was partly out and it frosted up and shut down. I re-inserted it into a better location and it has run great ever since. When not working right, it will let the unit run until it is clogged with ice.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
pstltaz

Okie dokie then, so it works like a freez stat.?thanks for the input. Hope y'all have a happy and safe fourth of July.