Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
cavediver

Farmer vision

Farmer vision is what we call it around here. Just a plane old antenna. We set it up in Marathon Florida, we got one station. That was Cuban baseball, very fuzzy. Needless to say we didn't watch TV. Anyone else that doesn't use satellite
TV?

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

We don't use, or have any use for, satellite TV. Same goes for over the air TV; my antenna has never been raised except when the salesman did it on the PDI.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
Farmer vision is what we call it around here. Just a plane old antenna. We set it up in Marathon Florida, we got one station. That was Cuban baseball, very fuzzy. Needless to say we didn't watch TV. Anyone else that doesn't use satellite
TV?

Jack
Antenna booster (see below) must be on for antenna, off for cable, go to setup menu on tv & set to appropriate input then scan the channels, this is required at every new location or change of input.
Click image for larger version

Name:	41PXWkLJe4L._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	22617
This plate may also have a cigarette lighter plug also.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We don't use, or have any use for, satellite TV. Same goes for over the air TV; my antenna has never been raised except when the salesman did it on the PDI.
Pretty much same here. We mostly watch videos if we watch the idiot box at all. Too much propaganda and "reality TV" on the free to air channels. And don't even get me started on the junk selling channels! Does anybody really watch those?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
notanlines

The only place we ever spent any time to speak of with absolutely no OTA reception in the least was KOA in Buena Vista, Colorado. Usually we can get 11 to 18 channels, all filled with the finest programming known to modern man! Okay! Okay! Filled with mindless drivel fit only for those over the age of (insert your own answer here).
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
Canonman

OTA where possible or practical. I like keeping up with the news and weather. DW could do without any of it
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
Northofu1

Cable or downloaded movies / shows. Free of the "finest programming known to modern man"

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Logan X

When we have a cell signal I use an Apple TV to stream TV and movies. Otherwise it’s DVDs.

I usually try to avoid “the finest programming known to man”.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #9
kjohn

Not sure if our tv even works.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
08quadram

We will watch OTA tv at bed time and I like to watch the news, but otherwise it is better to be outside watching the neighborhood waking up.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
We will watch OTA tv at bed time and I like to watch the news, but otherwise it is better to be outside watching the neighborhood waking up.
Or the entertainment of new campers trying to back their "too long for that site" trailer into position. In most busy campgrounds, there's always a drama, a comedy, an adventure and a documentary available to view, usually within just a few campsites of where you're parked.....

As for watching TV, like you, maybe the news and weather. Watching other stuff, we can do that at home, in a much bigger space with unlimited refrigerator space, QUIET air conditioning, no black tank to deal with and we don't have to tow it home on Sunday..... We go camping/glamping/boondocking to get away, not to bring home and EVERYTHING it has with us. Of course, what's important to one may seem unimportant to others, but I see far too many people sitting inside their trailer with the doors and windows closed, never come out, some with nothing, not even folding chairs, under their awning. They arrive on Friday evening, park, disappear inside, come out Sunday, break camp and go home. For them, I suppose "maximum TV performance and an audiophile sound system is more important than for those who spend their time "under the awning" watching the "campground entertainment channel"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Or the entertainment of new campers trying to back their "too long for that site" trailer into position. In most busy campgrounds, there's always a drama, a comedy, an adventure and a documentary available to view, usually within just a few campsites of where you're parked.....

As for watching TV, like you, maybe the news and weather. Watching other stuff, we can do that at home, in a much bigger space with unlimited refrigerator space, QUIET air conditioning, no black tank to deal with and we don't have to tow it home on Sunday..... We go camping/glamping/boondocking to get away, not to bring home and EVERYTHING it has with us. Of course, what's important to one may seem unimportant to others, but I see far too many people sitting inside their trailer with the doors and windows closed, never come out, some with nothing, not even folding chairs, under their awning. They arrive on Friday evening, park, disappear inside, come out Sunday, break camp and go home. For them, I suppose "maximum TV performance and an audiophile sound system is more important than for those who spend their time "under the awning" watching the "campground entertainment channel"...

"Campground entertainment channel"...that's it!

Like you, I've always been amazed at the number of folks that go to the trouble of preparing then hitching up their trailers just to go to a campground and sit inside until it's time to go. Maybe just to get away from home or a change of scenery?

As for the "entertainment channel", it is one of my favorites. The only thing is....as I stand in the doorway, or sit in the chair outside, or just stand outside, watching the person(s) trying to navigate a rig for the first time (or seemingly), an old couple trying to park a 40+' Class A wondering if he is going to take out his wife, picnic table or the tree first all the while chuckling inside...... I have this nagging feeling/recollection of a few places we've lived where an old man would just be standing at his place; front porch, yard, door, looking over the fence (like Wilson in Home Improvement) and staring at me as I worked on a project. I'm thinking "man, that old man is sure nosey" while he's over there chuckling to himself wondering "I wonder what else stupid that kid is going to do" - I gotta watch this..... Am I, or we, becoming THAT old man??!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
66joej

Quote:

Like you, I've always been amazed at the number of folks that go to the trouble of preparing then hitching up their trailers just to go to a campground and sit inside until it's time to go. Maybe just to get away from home or a change of scenery?

As for the "entertainment channel", it is one of my favorites. The only thing is....as I stand in the doorway, or sit in the chair outside, or just stand outside, watching the person(s) trying to navigate a rig for the first time (or seemingly), an old couple trying to park a 40+' Class A wondering if he is going to take out his wife, picnic table or the tree first all the while chuckling inside...... I have this nagging feeling/recollection of a few places we've lived where an old man would just be standing at his place; front porch, yard, door, looking over the fence (like Wilson in Home Improvement) and staring at me as I worked on a project. I'm thinking "man, that old man is sure nosey" while he's over there chuckling to himself wondering "I wonder what else stupid that kid is going to do" - I gotta watch this..... Am I, or we, becoming THAT old man??!!
Yes Danny I'm afraid we are!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
SummitPond

Quote:
In today's "intellectual" section:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sSally Forth (2019-07-07 camping).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	22697  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
In today's "intellectual" section:
“...thank goodness Kim and Tom aren’t here to see us park their RV”
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
“...thank goodness Kim and Tom aren’t here to see us park their RV”
And that, sports fans, is why we don't loan our RV to anyone and just as importantly, why we would NEVER (ever) consider renting our Cougar to anyone we know, don't know, might meet or may never meet.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
Customer1

I have never had satellite or cable in the RV or stix-n-brix
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
BadmanRick

When I first got our travel trailer home I found the tv would only pick up a couple of channels with the booster on and none with the booster off. I purchased a Winegard Company RFL-342 Sensarpro Tv Signal Meter-White on amazon. This allows you to turn the antenna and get the best signal. Then you can boost the signal to bring it in better. This replaces the original antenna booster. We do not use satellite due to the added expense. We would need to get a separate company for satellite.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
newemptynester

We bought a satellite a couple of years ago and have used it once. Since we like to camp with trees (not a parking lot) we can not pick up any channels on the satellite. So it sits in a box in the garage. If we do not get any channels we just watch DVD's on rainy days, otherwise we don't watch any TV.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #20
pdaniel

DW and I were campground hosts in a national park where OTA was non-existent. In the early fall we didn't watch much TV but as the fall progressed into late fall and cold temperatures we would watch TV and used satellite. We also snowbird and do watch the TV on those cold nights. Where we snowbird is also a wasteland for OTA so the satellite is a nice add-on-at least for us.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote