Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2019, 04:17 AM   #1
TheNative

Exterior Eyebolt Installation

I have a 2015 bullet premier 19 fbpr. I want to mount a couple of eye bolts on the rear exterior wall to secure some cargo. I understand that this model does not support a rear ladder. Does anyone know if it is possible to securely install eyebolts so they are anchored to something solid?
TheNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #2
Canonman

Based on what I've seen of rear panel construction i.e. "floating wall" I wouldn't trust securing anything to the back wall. Have a look:
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
Steveo57

I would boit through the wall and use a backer plate on the inside and outside to give it support. And I would not plan to put a lot of weight on the eyebolts.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Canonman

Native,
What I was trying to point out, is the back wall is likely not a full laminate wall like the side walls. There is a frame, some foam insulation and then a Filon sheet that covers it all up. The aluminum frame, if you were to screw into it will not hold (IMHO) the cantilevered weight that would be suspended from the eye bolts. Even going all the way through to the inside of the bathroom and installing a backer would likely pull through eventually.
Best option I've seen is installing a 2" receiver hitch to the frame and using a hitch mounted cargo carrier.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Native,
What I was trying to point out, is the back wall is likely not a full laminate wall like the side walls. There is a frame, some foam insulation and then a Filon sheet that covers it all up. The aluminum frame, if you were to screw into it will not hold (IMHO) the cantilevered weight that would be suspended from the eye bolts. Even going all the way through to the inside of the bathroom and installing a backer would likely pull through eventually.
Best option I've seen is installing a 2" receiver hitch to the frame and using a hitch mounted cargo carrier.

Couldn’t agree more!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Native,
Now that is "solid" advice.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Native,
Plus read the last sentence closely, "welded to the frame", that's good advice, nothing added to or welded to the flimsy paper thin bumper.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 AM   #8
TheNative

Thanks so much! Not the answer i was hoping for but definitely what I needed to know.
TheNative is offline   Reply With Quote