Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
rjrelander

Spare Parts

Was ordering grease seals for a bearing repack and started wondering if I should have ordered at least one full set of bearings and races in case I find anything wrong during inspection. Then I started thinking that maybe I should keep at least one full set on hand in the trailer. What kind of spare parts do people typically keep on hand for trouble on the road? I read somewhere that someone actually brought an entire spare hub assembly with them. What about tools? How much is too much?

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Logan X

I bring a pretty good assortment of tools, including everything to replace the bearings, but I don’t bring very much in the way of spare parts. I just bring spare fuses and stuff like that. I’m also interested to hear what others do.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

Funny. I was thinking the same thing. Got new seals and thinking I should have grabbed one bearing set while I was there. I know I have the tools to do a road side repair, unless a bearing is seized on the spindle. I don't carry a puller of any kind with me.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
MarkEHansen

I used to feel that if there was space for something, I could bring it - so I would bring all my tools, my floor jack, my jack stands, etc. It was a lot of stuff. I had a problem once where I needed to replace my brake calipers on my TV and patted myself on the back for having all the tools I needed to do the job.

Now, I realize that weight in a trailer is really the enemy and the only real tool you need is a credit card. I do still take tools with me, but only for those tasks likely to come up. If a low probability event does happen - I have the credit card.

For example, I have the tools necessary to remove/replace a trailer wheel, adjust the trailer hitch, work on electrical issues, etc.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
hornet28

If you keep up on maintenance most mechanical things won't happen. Over the years I've probably towed in excess of 100K and in that time the only trailer problems were 1 blowout and 2 flats. The blowout was my fault as I'd just bought my present car hauler and was trying to get a little run time on what was there. That was a wrong move and all 4 were replaced 1800 mi from home. I repack bearings and check brakes and other things every year as I generally do 5-8K per year on my car hauler. I do carry fuses, bulbs, complete LED taillights, bungee cords, zip ties, 20V battery impact wrench, tool box, TV oil, diesel fuel filter and wrench, washer fluid, Gorilla tape, also electrical connectors and wire. Granted most of what I carry wouldn't be necessary for short trips but when I'm out with my car hauler the trips are anywhere from 1K to 6K and I don't want to be hunting up a parts store and paying for what I have in my shop at home. We'll be doing a trip of around 7K touring the PNW this summer with the 5er and I just got back last week from a 5300 mi trip with my car hauler which was uneventful. The used 5er was bought late last fall, so preparations of the 5er for our upcoming trip were, new tires, shocks, brakes including backing plates, drums and bearings,
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
dwall

I have been a vending service tech for over 25 years and carry a van load of tools and parts for vending machines. Many times I still have to go back to the shop to get the correct part. It’s the same with my tt. I carry a few plumbing and electrical parts with me but it’s never the one I need. Usually just have to find the nearest hardware store and get the right part. I am limited on storage so I just take bare minimum and save that space for other things.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Just chillin

Amongst a tote of other parts, I actually went to the extent of buying a complete hub with bearings and seal. I stored the bearings and seal inside and modified the spare tire carrier to hold the hub just like an axle would. I then mounted my spare tire to the hub. Maybe one day I might need it or maybe one of y’all on the side of the road might need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95F1EA57-51DB-4AE7-A1F1-A4117A3DD8F8.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	21775  
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just chillin View Post
Amongst a tote of other parts, I actually went to the extent of buying a complete hub with bearings and seal. I stored the bearings and seal inside and modified the spare tire carrier to hold the hub just like an axle would. I then mounted my spare tire to the hub. Maybe one day I might need it or maybe one of y’all on the side of the road might need it.
That’s pretty cool, great idea!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I mostly carry the little things like bulbs, fuses, dielectric grease etc. Mostly I have tools in the truck and a few special ones for trailer things in the trailer.
Last time I worked on boat trailer hubs I purchased a extra set of wheel bearings and seal and carry those in the boat. Not so much so I can do a road side repair, but to have the right set a shop could use instead of ordering them and waiting. I am also going to get a full set for the RV for same reason.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:06 AM   #10
Roscommon48

just the spare, some bolts for suspension and a spring. and of course tools.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
bobbecky

For a long time, my wife would harass me about carrying extra parts. Several years ago, we were heading south out of Laredo, TX and a couple guys pulled up along side of us and said our brakes were smelling hot. We got stopped off the road and discovered the right rear wheel was at a very bad angle. We disconnected the truck, loosened the lug nuts, and with the hydraulic leveling system, raised the trailer and while raising it, the wheel and drum assembly fell over on the sidewalk. We lost the outer bearing, which I had, only a couple months earlier, greased and checked the brakes.

The brakes were trashed and the seal area in the hub had rubbed on the tapered part of the spindle so a seal would not go back in. I made a few calls looking for new parts, but none were available. With my wife looking panicked, I proceeded to go in my spare parts tote and got out a full set of bearings and races, my brass punches, and also got out my tools. Less than 1 /12 hours later we were back on the road, less the brakes on that wheel and the grease seal.

So yes, even if you are not capable to do the work yourself, it is not a bad idea to at least carry a few critical parts like bearings and seals, and maybe a can of grease also. My wife does not say anything about the spare parts I carry anymore. Also, I replaced all the parts a week later after having them sent to a relative's house on our journey. My next time doing the bearing grease/brake inspection, I replaced all the Chinese bearings with USA made Timkens.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
PSHJR

A bag full of tools plus a can of WD 40 for those things that should move but don't and duct tape for those things that move but shouldn't.
PSHJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
travelin texans

I carried a huge assortment of all kinds of spare parts & still Murphy's Law will still prevail & you won't have everything you'll need.
That said not carrying tools along with a few spare parts would to me be like not taking a spare tire with you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote