Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Boneshaker8

Under oven drawer missing

Hello. We recently purchased a 2018 Passport Elite 23RB after looking at a fellow camper's 2017 Passport Elite 23RB and loved it!

While looking at their model, as well as some newer models on the internet, we noticed their RV has a drawer under the oven while ours doesn't. Pics of newer 23RB's have this drawer as well.

We would like to put it that drawer in ours but cannot find any information on why it wasn't installed in ours or information as to where to obtain parts or diagrams. The only commonality I noticed is that units with white counters do not have it while units with dark counters seem to have it.

Our unit has a block off panel and can't be removed for inspection or, could be removed if i could put in the drawer by punching it out but I'd like to know what's in there before doing so.

Keystone customer service was not helpful or knowledgeable about this matter at all.

If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Boneshaker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone makes changes from time to time. Some people say that they make changes with every model down the line. Which is closer to the truth is a matter of much debate. On your unit, there "MAY" be something installed behind the panel that would prevent adding the drawer. Often the manufacturer will move the water heater or the furnace to that location for some reason. It may be to simplify a propane line run or in response to an engineering change. Often those changes are not understood by consumers (and even by other engineers).... Things like a complaint of the exhaust from the water heater causing problems while sitting under the awning will prompt moving it to another location, so the change is made, then later in the production run, some other "manager at Keystone" makes a decision to "move it back where it was"... What prompts these decisions ???? Heaven only knows......

I know that doesn't help you get a drawer installed, but might help you understand that little statement at the bottom of every brochure: "Product information is accurate at the time of publication. Keystone reserves the right to make production changes without notification."

As for getting the parts, Keystone will not sell to the public or in most cases, not even give you part numbers, but your dealership (or another if yours isn't interested in helping) can order the drawer front for you. All you'd have to do then, is make (or have a cabinet maker build) the box and install the drawer guides.

I'd first look for an access panel on either side of the stove, MAKE SURE NOTHING IS INSTALLED UNDER THE STOVE, then start the process.

Don't expect your dealer to be "hot to help" with such a request, it won't mean a lot of profit for him, and this time of year, he can make loads of money with bigger projects, so you'll probably find some resistance to helping you with this minor modification during the current season. He may be more inclined to help during the "non-camping season" when the service department is slow and there's more time for "small projects".

Meanwhile, don't expect it to be a "warranty install". Chances are very, VERY slim that Keystone would even consider paying for the drawer or installation. You might luck out and get a partial payment, but even that would be very surprising. My guess is that you'll be "on your own" to fund this project.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Boneshaker8

That's kind of the thing i was expecting. There aren't any easy access points under the oven, or on either side that I could unscrew and look at. I was considering drilling a small hole and using a bore scope to look around and make sure nothing was in there before punching out the panel and proceeding.

I have had other RV's with similar "panels to nowhere" and have turned them into usable cabinets instead of wastes of space for no apparent reason. I'm not sure WHY these are created at the factory instead of utilizing the space.

Getting parts or a diagram for RV's must be part of the manufacturer's taboo and their super secret plans apparently.

Thanks for your reply!!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to try snooping around on the Trekwood site: https://www.trekwood.com/ There are lots of cabinet doors, drawer fronts listed. You might find one that's the right size (or a usable size) to get you started on the road to the mod.

Also, you can pull the stove to see what's under it. There are 6 screws and one LPG connection to remove and you can lift it out of the space. You'll need to do that for sure to construct the drawer guide supports.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
slow

I suggest you start by looking at what is on the outside wall under the range. Is the H2O heater under the range? Or is it like mine to the left of the sink when viewing from inside the trailer?

Using a bore scope by drilling a hole in the cabinet wall between the sink and range makes good sense.

If the cavity is empty and the sink drain and gas line for the range are tucked low and close to the outside near the sink, you would have a chance of installing a drawer. If that is the case. let me know and I can share some pictures and dimensions to get you started or give you ideas.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
busterbrown

I had noticed the same thing with my Bullet when I ordered it. The dealer had a unit in stock that had a hinged cabinet door under the oven. When I took delivery of mine, it did not. It had a 'false' panel instead. But it was an easy fix.

Trekwood.com offers up replacement doors and panels in the exact color scheme of your coach. Remove the panel face under the stove and measure the opening. Source out a door panel from trekwood that will adequately cover that space. Buy the corresponding cabinet door hardware (including hinges, knob, and catch) from that same website. It'll look better if it all matches.

It took me about 30 minutes to retrofit everything to make it look factory. If your stove is an Atwood, you'll have recovered a good amount of usable space under it. Obviously, Keystone is looking to save a few cents in materials in order to maximize profits. But, removing an otherwise very functional door below the oven is just stupid if you ask me.

Oh, you'll also have a bad taste in your mouth when you see how much trekwood charges for that door panel. Can you say highway robbery!

BTW, my false panel was just stapled in. I used a small flat tip screw driver to remove it and gain access.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
slow

Here are a few pictures as reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9268.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	21689

Name:	IMG_9254.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	21690

Name:	IMG_9255.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	21691

Name:	IMG_9264.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	21692

Name:	IMG_9266.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	21693

Had to replace a slide, bought it at HD.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Boneshaker8

Thanks!! That is exactly what I'm looking for!! Hopefully, Trekwood.com has what I'm looking for!
Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
bubbubouy

I didn’t have a drawer either, but I do now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84D78B51-3925-4B41-858A-83C98DC5A5E8.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	21745   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B004AD7-EE07-462E-ADD1-4657FB9DE713.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	21746   Click image for larger version

Name:	68F2EE81-690B-4E61-BD1D-A850C1AF2293.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	21747  
Old 08-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
eokip1

Don't go by pictures, it drove us nuts! Found out they use stock photos for any year! We looked at the 2018 23RB and it did not look like the pictures which were of the 2017. We were told by sales person they cut several corners on the 2018 to increase profits. The bathroom door is heavier and has a design, cabinets seemed heavier, four drawers to the left of sink (2018 that we saw had one big door for storage, not the four drawers) and a big drawer under the stove. We hunted all over to find a new 2017 in 2018. $18,000
with full factory tow package.
eokip1 is offline   Reply With Quote