Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Scout179

Slide out beeps during operation

We have a 30 ft 2004 Challenger and after reading forum information about storage, I went out today to bring in the slides before a forecast storm arrives. Since I had just purchased a new can of 3M RV silicone spray, I sprayed both runners and gears under the RV. When I activated the retract switch, the bedroom came in normally, but when the Living room started in I heard two distinct beeps, as if a warning buzzer was sounding. The LR slide came in and sealed, but it seemed slower than normal.
I have searched previous treads, but could not find anything about beeps or warning beeps when operating slides. I don't want to ignore this and then later find out it was important. Thanks for your responses!
Little City, Ok
Scout179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

To my knowledge, there are no "beepers" on any slide system, so the beeps were coming from somewhere else. My guess, for what it's worth, if that your battery was "minimally charged" and as you were pulling in the slide, the battery voltage dropped below the minimum operating voltage of the LP gas detector and the beeping you heard was the propane detector alarming for a low voltage condition.

While checking that out, you might also look at the LPG detector "replace by date" that should be on a label on the back side. Most have a 5 year life expectancy, so with your 2004 trailer, chances are you're at "double life" already. The CO (carbon monoxide) detector also has a service life and likely is also "past due for replacement" as are your smoke detectors.... Yeah, I know, more money down the drain.... That is, unless one of them starts beeping at O-dark thirty, wakes up your family as you start smelling smoke or propane on your way out the door with a DW and three kids in tow.... Then, the cost of replacement safety detectors is "priceless"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m with John on this one. Can’t say I’ve ever heard any type of beep or warning sound for any slide movement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
Scout179

Thank you John and Chuck ! Since the retraction was noticeably slower when the main slide came in, I think batteries will be where I start looking.
Ed
Little City, Ok
Scout179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Duramike

I agree with the others but have a funny story about my “slide alarm”. When I brought my new 5er home from the dealer and opened her up I had a loud alarm on one slide just before being fully open. I tried several times but finally called the dealer for an answer. He said there are no alarms on the slides and doesn’t have an answer. Being frustrated I returned to the RV to try one more time. Watching closely as the DW pushed the button I noticed two small screws in the ceiling with nothing attached. Grabbing the ladder and peeking on top of the slide I found the answer. The smoke detector had fallen on top of the slide during transit and was situated so that the test button was pushed when the slide was nearly open.
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out