Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Howie

Cougar 5th wheel water leak in underbelly

I just purchased a 303rls and upon hooking up from previous owner I noticed water running out of the underbelly weather proofing indicating a water leak somewhere under the main floor. I disconnected city water and turned pump on to supply holding tank water. I did not hear the pump turning on and off as I expected if I had a fresh water line leak. I am wondering if I have a grey or black water line leak but don't know how to investigate.

Any ideas on where to start and how to remove the underbelly seal/covering to get to look at suspected areas?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I would think your sense of smell would alert you to a black or gray water leak. Easiest way to tell if a fresh water leak is to turn on city water and purge air from faucets. Then turn water off at spigot but leave hose connected. Wait about 10 min and then open an inside faucet. There should still be pressure when you open the faucet for a second if the system is not leaking. Water leaks can be challenging to track down as the water can run in any direction before escaping. Typically the cloroplast underbelly is fastened with self tapping screws that like to break when you go to remove them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Howie

thanks for the suggestion on using the city water to test lines, I had only used the tank and pump method. I will give it a try. IF I have to remove the underbelly, I gather from your comment on the self tapping screws that you just get new ones and insert next to the old holes with the broken screws.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
thanks for the suggestion on using the city water to test lines, I had only used the tank and pump method. I will give it a try. IF I have to remove the underbelly, I gather from your comment on the self tapping screws that you just get new ones and insert next to the old holes with the broken screws.
yes that's correct on the screws. Get stainless steel screws and washers and replace them all if you can, reduces issues later.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Firelime

I had 2 water leaks in my 2016 Cougar that I actually just got fixed tonight. Both were on the fresh water tank pump supply and drain. The factory did not use sealant or Teflon tape on the fittings going into the tank and one of the fittings was loose.

My underbelly was attached using a combination of self tapping screws and Ramset nails. The Ramset nails have a 1/4" hex head on them that if you use a nut driver in a drill you can loosen them and get a wonder bar under them to pop them out easy.
Firelime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Howie

Update everyone... I found a tiny pinhole leak in the freshwater tank about 2 inches above the bottom that you can't even see. I found a drop of water forms on the spot and then runs down to the bottom and then deposits itself on the underbelly which eventually leaks out. I called the local Keystone dealer and explained problem. He said "I am not supposed to tell you this because our formal response is that you need to replace the tank, but get some Flex Tape (like advertised on TV) and patch it because it works". Bought some and put it over the tiny leak. Will fill the tank tomorrow to check before I put all the underbelly back together.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s under warranty make the dealer change it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Howie

Flex Tape worked like a champ but also found exact same problem as Firelime above, no teflon on connections. Fixed them, all is good finally
Old 05-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
DOWva

Congrats I like the method of repair great idea

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
Lee

Hi,

If the Flex tape does not provide a long term solution, Google "plastic weld". Lots of videos on Youtube.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 AM   #11
Howie

Lee, thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind should I need further repairs
Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #12
hfhf

I also had a leak in my 2013 cougar. I removed under belly and found a crack near top of the gray tank.Are used fibreglass and spray on sealant. We’ll see how this holds up this summer.
hfhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Just to piggyback on a previous post; you said you had just purchased it. Looks like it is a 2015. Did you get it from a dealer? Did they give you any kind of warranty? The tape may do the job, but, if the dealer gave you a warranty a new tank would be better.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
johnlewis

Used Seal All to repair a crack in my Galley tank. Love this stuff. Cheaper than Flex Seal.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
lmf580

Under belly leak

There is a good product called Plasti-mend for permanent fix. Google it. I used it on my gray water tank. The belly panels are a pane to remove.
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, leak, water, water leak