Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
TheGriz

Removing Black Streaks

Hi Folks,

I put this basic post up on another forum category, with no responses. So I realized I put it in the wrong category. So this is basically a re-post.

Doing my spring cleaning of the Laredo, and I have some black streaking going on that came about over the winter. I see several on Youtube using a general purpose cleaner called LA Totally Awesome, but on aluminum sides. The product seems to very effective at removing those dreaded black streaks.

Very inexpensive at $1 a bottle at Dollar Tree. Seems to good to be true in lieu of other product which are considerably more expensive. I am concerned that it may be too harsh for the FILON sides and decals.

Seems I have a few black streaks on the decals that are proving to be impossible to remove with products I've tried like standard car wash and 'Protect All'.

Anyone else have any experience with this product, LA Totally Awesome? Seems very effective, but it is safe to use on FILON and decals???

What are you using for the black streaks. Don't really care about expense if effective and safe.

Thanks for any feedback,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
laidback

Mike I have used it on my last trailer with no problem. I did cut it with water don't remember the ratio. I wouldn't use it full strength. How did You make out on your trip south. Sent you a PM guess You didn't get it.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
66joej

Use Awesome Orange ( similar to Totally Awesome) on the roof with no problems to the decals with the runoff.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Mike I have used it on my last trailer with no problem. I did cut it with water don't remember the ratio. I wouldn't use it full strength. How did You make out on your trip south. Sent you a PM guess You didn't get it.
Thanks Bruce. Was your last trailer FILON (fiberglass) and did you use the product on decals?

Sorry about not responding to your PM. I seem to have problems with the PMs.

Anyway...trip south was very nice. TV and TT behaved perfectly! Weather was something though. We dodged the WX the whole trip. We got out of northeast PA just after March's 2nd noreaster and just before the 3rd noreaster...yeesh! In fact, got up the day we were leaving and had 2" of snow on the rig . See pic.

Despite the 2" of snow, we got off without incident and made it to southern VA for first night. We made a mid-trip correction when leaving southern VA after our first night. Saw the forecasted high temps in Destin were a little lower for our liking. So we decided to go Crystal River, FL first to see my Mom and other family there. Spent four days there and off again to Destin.

En route to Destin as we pasted Cedar Key, we tried making reservations in or around Destin...nothing close...all CGs booked. So we ended up staying at a very nice CG in Freeport, which was on the eastern portion of the bay. Had a very nice time there for four nights/five days. Drove to different beaches on the panhande each day. Loved it...beaches were absolutely beautiful. We would have stayed longer at Freeport, but we left that CG as strong storms/tornadoes were forecast coming in from the west the day we left.

Went east on I-10 to Jacksonville and up I-95, and stayed night in Georgia. Then up to western North Carolina. We planned to stay there for a night.
However, March's 4th noreaster was dead north of us...with a 12" to 24" swath of snow to greet us...yeesh again!!! So my DW and I decided to chill out for another couple nights in NC. Enjoyed sightseeing around Lake Norman, did some shopping, and simply kicked back and relaxed for a couple of days. Then re-winterized the TT and left NC for PA.

We made it a long last of travel, getting back to Poconos late on the last day. We made several extended stops for rest and meals on way back. So although we planned on just short of 3 weeks, we cut the trip short to two weeks because of WX. All in all we had a wonderful time, and Jeter had a ball on the beaches!

Thanks for asking,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_072257-1_resized (1).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	16291  

Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Mike, sounds like a great trip and thanks for the update. We love the FL panhandle...period. Much more than S FL. If the destination is Destin it can get congested. There are many places as you move E on hwy 98 and lots of campgrounds. Hope you have better luck next time. It is a wonderful place to spend time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:17 AM   #6
gearhead

Try 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. Or maybe Chemical Guys Marine Heavy Cutting Compound. Both available on Amazon.
I've got a box full of "miracle cleaners" and the 3M products seem to work best for me.
Saltwater fishing folks use Totally Awesome to clean fish blood off their boat floors. It sounds pretty strong, I would try it diluted on a small area first.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Tinner12002

When I had my other RV I used GoJo scubbing towels and they seemed to work pretty good on the black streaks. It had fiberglass sides, decals were faded some but it didn't seem to hurt them. They work great on bugs too! Also use them on my chrome and paint on the front of my truck.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Try 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. Or maybe Chemical Guys Marine Heavy Cutting Compound. Both available on Amazon.
I've got a box full of "miracle cleaners" and the 3M products seem to work best for me.
Saltwater fishing folks use Totally Awesome to clean fish blood off their boat floors. It sounds pretty strong, I would try it diluted on a small area first.
If you go with any kind of buffing compound I would be careful not to let the electric buffer linger too long on the decals. It can start to heat them up and damage them if you just keep hammering on one spot.
We use a lot of 303 cleaners on our boats and they are awesome.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
laidback

Yes the sides were filon, after cleaning I use meguries yellow wax. Don't use any of the compounds on the decals. Wax is fine . I've had good luck so far. Even the grey front cap still shines. Did You stay at Live Oak Landing? Wish I could have got hold of You could have gotten You in at Geronimo.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

For the black streaks on our filon I've always used the "black streak remover" they sell at the RV store (Dometic?). Always seemed like it didn't work very well.....sort of like water. Decided to detail the trailer and decided to go with Meguiars M5032 (50) Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax. About $25 per 32 oz. if I recall. Haven't been able to get the polisher out and go at it because the wind/sand won't stop blowing. I did however take it out and use it with some cloths "the old fashioned way" on a couple of areas to see what it would do. The black streaks just disappeared by rubbing it on - very easy. Now I'm excited to get out and get it done (developed a haze while in FL - guess salt water??).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
cpaulsen

Try 30 Second Cleaner......spray it on and hose it off.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Yes the sides were filon, after cleaning I use meguries yellow wax. Don't use any of the compounds on the decals. Wax is fine . I've had good luck so far. Even the grey front cap still shines. Did You stay at Live Oak Landing? Wish I could have got hold of You could have gotten You in at Geronimo.
Yes we did stay at Live Oaks. Very nice...enjoyed thoroughly! I'll remember about Geronimo next time...thanks!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
TheGriz

Thanks folks for all the suggestion, cautions, and experiences! The black streaks that won't come out are isolated to the lighter tan decals...and only a few spots.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #14
WNY Bullet

I just removed mine from my decals with Camco's "Black Streak Remover" and a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser".

Try a Magic Eraser with your cleaner.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
TheGriz

Okay...here's the latest on removing the really stubborn black streaks on the tan decals. I tried nearly all the suggestions but to no avail of getting the toughest streaks off. So I sprayed a small corner of a microfiber cloth with the LA Totally Awesome product (full strength) and gently and quickly applied to tan decals. Took the streaks right off . Most importantly, I did a VERY small area at a time, maybe 6" by 6", to facilitate removing the product very quickly. I had sponge saturated with plain water handy and IMMEDIATELY washed the product off the decal and wiped dry with a terry cloth towel.

Looks good, and no fading or bleaching of the decals from what I see. I then used ProtectAll to put protective finish on the the decal along with the entire TT.

Hopefully, now any streaking will not impregate into the decal material, and will completely clean off much easier in future.

LA Totally Awesome is some strong stuff. So if you choose to use, please use with caution , as YMMV.

Regards,
Mike