Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Sprinter17

Shower runs out of hot water

Has anybody had any problem with the hot water in the shower? I have a problem where I run out of hot water during a shower. I know it is not the hot water heater. I makes plenty of hot water and has been tested by the dealer. I think it might be the mixer in the faucet? Does anyone have any other ideas?
Sprinter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you letting it run while you shower? You don’t get that much hot water in an RV. Common is 6 gal. If you set the temp, get wet and turn the flow off at the shower head. Then apply shampoo/soap, turn flow back on at shower head you should be fine. Only caution;

Point the water AWAY from you for a few seconds when you resume the flow. It will be either very hot or very cold for a very brief time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV shower heads have a flow rate of about 2.5 GPM. If you mix it 50/50 hot/cold, the 6 gallon water heater volume, mixed with 6 gallons of cold water would produce 12 gallons of "shower water".... At 2.5 GMP, that 12 gallons would last less than 5 minutes (at full flow). That's why almost all of us use the "navy shower" technique of getting wet, turn water off (at the shower head), soap up, shampoo, etc, then turn shower head back on to rinse off. After getting clean, if you want to "luxuriate in the rest of the warm water", you might be able to do so for 2 or 3 minutes before you'd best be finding a towel......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Sprinter17

No, I have been camping for a few years. I do know to shut it off in between doing my hair, body soaping and rinse. But thank you for your post
Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Sprinter17

I have been camping for a few years. This is my 4th new camper. This is the first camper I have had this problem with. I have camped with four people using the shower and never had this problem
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
bobbecky

No mention about what the rig is or what water heater is installed in the rig, but if the water heater is able to run on electric or gas, then run it on both at the same time and your recovery will be much better and your hot water will last quite a bit longer. The RV water heaters are rated for gallon recovery time when both modes are turned on, which will give the best numbers.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I think a lot more info would be helpful; make/year of the trailer, size of the HWH, is it dual elec/propane, how long you've had it, did it used to work before, how you try to shower etc. If it's a newer trailer with both elec/LP on it I can tell you I don't run out of hot water in my showers with a 6 gallon and I don't turn anything off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

All good advice, you may want to check the outside shower to see if the shut off valve at the shower head is off. This can cause mixing and issues. Also check winterizing valve on hwh to make sure it's turned fully to the "normal" not in bypass.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
All good advice, you may want to check the outside shower to see if the shut off valve at the shower head is off. This can cause mixing and issues. Also check winterizing valve on hwh to make sure it's turned fully to the "normal" not in bypass.
Spot on advice.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
Sprinter17

Thank you all for your replies

My unit is a 2017 Sprinter 298FWRLS with a suburban 6-gallon water heater. It is a gas and electric unit. I have both turned on. I have never used the outside shower since I bought the coach last year. I really think it is a mixing issue. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't. I had a service tech out and he ran the hot water. He checked that the water heated as it was suppose to and the recovery rate was correct. I didn't ask him to run the shower with the hot and cold as if you were to take a shower. This seems to be the only time the cold takes over. I do turn it off at the shower head between doing my hair and soaping. I have replaced the shower head but still get the same results. I just ordered a new faucet to see if the mixer in the faucet is the problem.
Again thank you so much for your replies. Any help is useful.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
bobbecky

Another thing that affects the water temperature when showering is the incoming water temperature. In the coldest months, we need the hot turned on full and mix in some cold, but in the summer, many times it is full on cold and only mix in a little hot, so the problem may have nothing to do with the rig or it's plumbing, but might just be the cold water entering the rig, which will also affect how long the hot water lasts, as the colder the incoming water, the longer it will take to heat.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #12
Sprinter17

Shower runs out of hot water

This happens when it's hot or cold outside
Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Sprinter17

I'm thinking of replacing the faucet but I cannot access the back of the faucet. Any ideas on that other than cutting out the wall in the bedroom?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
Rangerj

Hey Sprinter, I have exactly the same unit. With the hot full force my water stays hot for 5and a half minutes. However, when I run the electric and gas at the same time it will go longer going from hot to good warm. I can shower, shampoo, and shave without cutting the water off to soap. The flow rate is more in the one gallon to slightly over one gallon per minute range. Do make sure the outside shower knobs are fully closed as that will cause the cold to mix with the hot. Off course I have to mix cold water initially because the hot is set at 140 degrees.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
cpaulsen

Ours did that also.....replaced shower faucet because the old one the diverter did not work right.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

You have a Suburban SW6DE hot water heater. On my trailer (I have the same one), I have no inside on/off switch for the electric element. The inside switch can be installed with a SW6DEL model which has extra electrical stuff to allow the inside switch. If you are not turning on the electrical element, it is located on the bottom/left on the outside of the water heater and a tad hard to see. Make sure you turn it off if the tank is dry as the electrical heating element burns out quickly. The electrical part doesn't work automatically, you have to turn on the switch.

I am surprised you don't have an access panel behind the shower faucet. Our trailer has one an it would make swapping the whole thing out fairly easy. You might also look into a special RV shower head like one of the Oxygenics models. There are other brands with similar performance.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am surprised you don't have an access panel behind the shower faucet. Our trailer has one an it would make swapping the whole thing out fairly easy. You might also look into a special RV shower head like one of the Oxygenics models. There are other brands with similar performance.

Some shower faucets are mounted on a “box” that is screwed into the surround. There will be access somewhere, otherwise they couldn’t assemble the shower at the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
swanson

Pull the handles/spindles off and check for debris from construction/build of the unit. This happened to me once.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #19
Sprinter17

Thank you all for your help. Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. I think whoever said check the outside shower was right. I didn't think that would be the issue because I never use it but when I was dumping the black tank I noticed that my hand bumped the faucet knobs. By making sure the knobs are in the off position my shower works properly
Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #20
cpaulsen

Probably the mixer for the shower valve. We had one that went bad and even with a 12 gallon water heaters.....it got cold quick!! Put new shower valve in and solved the problem. Now a nice long hot shower is nice!!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water