Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
kenc1325

Some issues on new High Country

We have been in our new 2017 High Country for 3 weeks now . This is our first time to own a 5th wheel so please bare with me. We love our unit and think it is a great RV. I like it a lot better than the MH that we had. Some issues I would like some opinions on .
1) My DW is constantly wiping water up in the Domestic refrigerator we are making sure the drip tray is in place is there something else we should be doing.
2) I am not familiar with the black and grey drain valves in the wet bay do they run off cables. When it does drain it seems very slow. Does the kitchen sink drain directly into the sewer bypassing the holding tanks. I am not use to this system.
3) I have looked all over for a drain valve for the holding tanks but can`t find it . Would it be the blue valve in the wet bay.

Well thats it for now we are getting use to the 5th wheel and liking it more and more everyday. Appreciate the feed back.
Happy trails
Ken
kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
Tinner12002

I think I can answer #2 and #3, your kitchen sink will drain into a grey tank, possibly a second grey tank if you have one. Sometimes other dump valves are located near the tire area if you have a second bath or for 2nd grey.
As for your fresh water drain it will be located under the RV usually along the side or near the rear depending on where your fresh tank is located. The blue valve you are referring to is one of your low point drains for draining water from the piping inside your coach, should also be a red one for the hot water lines, neither one will empty fresh water tank.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
notanlines

What Tinner^^^^ said. You have two grey water tanks, 49 gallons each and one black water holding tank. You should have a total of three release cables, two marked grey and one marked black. Most likely you will have your second grey water release handle located either in front of or behind the tires street side. Remember, these are RV's. Just for fun the guys on the line may have located that second grey water cable under your bed....... Well that may be an exaggeration, but one never knows where these things are exactly. And welcome to the forum also!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
gearhead

Our Montana HC is a few years old so who knows what they have changed. Our black and one gray tank drain valve is in the "convenience center" with the city water hookup, cable TV hookups, etc.. I know the black tank valve is cable operated, not sure about the gray. The other gray tank valve is on the drivers side just in front of the axle. It's not labelled and is hard to see unless you get down on your knees. Mine drain fairly fast, you may try filling the tanks with water and see what they do. There could be an "obstruction". The drain for my freshwater holding tank is at the rear, under the tank. Just a short plastic hose with a valve. It's a pretty good reach to get to it.
Not sure what's happening with the Dometic fridge. We had trouble with ours but not that.
If you have the 3 piece glass sliding shower doors be careful. That little latch will come un-done or someone will not latch it good enough. I put spring loaded curtain rods in the bottom tracks when travelling. Two broken glass doors was $300+ from my glass company.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
laidback

Is the hose connected to the back of the drip pan?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
jonnyaiks

My 2017 HC has the same freezer issue, we've used it all summer. Mice could play hockey in there.
As everyone has said, second gray release driver's side in front of axle. You'll get used to reaching blindly for it instead of getting on your hands and knees. I've seen 5ers with all 3 in the "convenience center" so not sure why Keystone didn't do that... well it must cost them money somehow. Our dealer forgot to show us the second gray release so that first shakedown... errr ... shakeout.... trip was frustrating for a few reasons....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
kenc1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post
My 2017 HC has the same freezer issue, we've used it all summer. Mice could play hockey in there.
As everyone has said, second gray release driver's side in front of axle. You'll get used to reaching blindly for it instead of getting on your hands and knees. I've seen 5ers with all 3 in the "convenience center" so not sure why Keystone didn't do that... well it must cost them money somehow. Our dealer forgot to show us the second gray release so that first shakedown... errr ... shakeout.... trip was frustrating for a few reasons....

The refrigerator drain tray has like a funnel end that goes in a hole in the refrigerator we think it is in place ok. I am going to blow some air through it i thought it might be blocked. I noticed a hose outside the slide I thought was for the water. There is a valve at the driver side by the axle but it seems to be where the bottom of the slide goes so i didn`t think it was for a grey tank. I will look closer on that . Thanks for your reply appreciate the help.

Ken
Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
kenc1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Is the hose connected to the back of the drip pan?
There is no hose just a funnel shaped end that goes in a hole.

Ken
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Javi

Here is an example of how the factory loves to hide the 3rd valve...

Also you can see my low point drains on the other side of the trailer..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f793213f8741d5690b5fb9de18f75d09.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	14609   Click image for larger version

Name:	f09036504ad0130be27f14ebb14c516b.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	14610  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
jonnyaiks

Yep, middle of my midbunk slideout. It's really amusing if you have to dump when it's out!

Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
jonnyaiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here is an example of how the factory loves to hide the 3rd valve...

Also you can see my low point drains on the other side of the trailer..
Wow, that's horrible.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Javi

Fridge drain...
Old 11-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #13
Dave W

I 'assume' you have found the second gray tank pull handle behind the LHS wheels. Look underneath and you should see a 1.5" black ABS drain to the main hose hookup.

The Dometic fridge drain hose usually has a check valve on the end of the hose as I found on our last 5er. It may be either clogged or defective. Ours was full of some sort of bug crud, My fix was to just remove it -- and the pint of backed up water. Of course you do need to stuff the tray drain in the drain hole too (that was an awww dang with the Norcold on the current 343RL
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post

An option to getting down and reaching blindly for the valve handles would be to do what I did on my Raptor. I purchased 2 small lockable water fill doors for an RV and cut the water connection off of the back leaving the whole door area open. Then on the lower skirting on my RV I cut a sq hole where the dump handles are and installed a door at each location...other than the valve near the tires as I can see and reach it ok.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
kenc1325

Thanks everyone for your replies they have been great . I found the valve for the 2nd grey tank it was right where you said it would be , behind the rear driver side axle. I also found the valve for the water tank it was again right where you had said at the rear of the RV. I blew some air through the drain in the refrigerator yesterday to see if that might solve the problem with the water in the refrigerator today it was dry we will see how it works out in the next few days. I will update you to let you know . Thank you so much for all your help I love these forums . Have safe travels.

ken
Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
kenc1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thank you for this I blew air through the drain in the fridge to see if that might solve the problem. It was dry today but will see what happens in the next few days. If it does~t work i will be looking into replacing the hose .
Again thanks for your reply.

Ken
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
kenc1325

Just an update, this is day three and the fridge was dry in the morning so far blowing the hose out has worked . Will monitor it and let you know.

Ken
Old 11-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

The Dometic refrigerator generally has a long flat tray that catches dripping. The tray has a snout/spout that connects to a hose that goes through the refrigerator and down and out through the refrigerator inspection door on the outside. The hose will be about 5/8" and ribbed. Some hoses may have plugs in them from the factory I guess and I can't recall the purpose. If you parked somewhere where there are mud-duaber type bugs, they like to get in these hoses and stop them up and your refrigerator tray will end up filling after the hose backs up and overflow into the refrigerator. Some folks complain of excess condensation and run a little fan INSIDE the refrigerator but I have never needed to do that.

Others have suggested two gray tanks and one black. I suggest you take a minute and get under your new RV and see the location of the tanks. MY Cougar has two gray tanks; one fore and one aft. The black tank is also in the front. The back gray tank is drained from the sink (rear kitchen). A black tank will have a much larger valve (and bigger egress pipe); about 3" where the gray water tank will be about half that size. I can't see the rear gray tank handle standing beside my 5th wheel; got to get down low and look under the RV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #19
kenc1325

Another issue has developed it has been raining extremly hard and we have a leak it seems near or at the top of the skylight . Has anybody else experience this. It was wet on top of the island and went down on the floor.

Thanks
Ken
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Tbos

Better get on the roof and find out where the sealant (Dicor) is failing. Hope it's something easy.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote