Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Let me get this straight. People can spend upwards of a hundred grand on a trailer but they're too cheap to spend a few hundred to hire a nimble kid to climb up and clean their roofs compared to falling, breaking bones or killing themselves? Something here doesn't make sense.
Also once the kid does his job run out and buy a cheap drone with a camera, do your inspection from a lawn chair while having a beer and not laying in a morgue.
The problem is the kind of job those "nimble kids" do. I would still be doing mine if I could. The first time I took mine in to have the roof cleaned, inspected and sealed I had to go back THREE times before they had it right and I would take it. On the 2nd trip I went and got the GM and service manager then took them to the trailer with the service advisor and tech and proceeded to explain my frustration in no uncertain terms. Now they know me when I come in for the inspection....but I still remind them of what I expect.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Something that hasn't been talked about with "that nimble kid" is who he works for.... If you're taking your trailer to a dealership or to a business where the "nimble kid" works and he climbs on your roof, slips off the side and winds up with injuries similar to larry337, then the "repair bill for the nimble kid" wouldn't be a concern for you. But, if you hire the neighbor's kid, he climbs on the roof of your RV (in your driveway) and slips off the edge, breaks something and his parents (or himself) decides to hire a lawyer, you'd best hope that your homeowner's policy is paid, up to date, annotated with all the "extra goodies" .....

Unfortunately, the days of "honor and understanding" don't seem to be a priority with how people treat each other. Letting a neighborhood kid on the wet, soapy roof of an RV, 10' up in the air, with concrete in all the "possible landing sites" might not be the best idea..... Just sayin'......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
............... buy a cheap drone with a camera, do your inspection from a lawn chair while having a beer and not laying in a morgue.
Like it !!! a Roof scrubbing Drone (camera, hose, brush, and applicator). Must be a cross the border thing, Drones are limited south of you Oh YA no drinking while flying drones, also note that roof waranty does not cover Drone crashes
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #24
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The problem is the kind of job those "nimble kids" do. I would still be doing mine if I could. The first time I took mine in to have the roof cleaned, inspected and sealed I had to go back THREE times before they had it right and I would take it. On the 2nd trip I went and got the GM and service manager then took them to the trailer with the service advisor and tech and proceeded to explain my frustration in no uncertain terms. Now they know me when I come in for the inspection....but I still remind them of what I expect.
Sourdough I'm confused, with the many times that you've had to take it back in frustration you still go back to the same place? Have you ever thought about another dealership or maybe drive it through a touchless truck wash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Unfortunately, the days of "honor and understanding" don't seem to be a priority with how people treat each other. Letting a neighborhood kid on the wet, soapy roof of an RV, 10' up in the air, with concrete in all the "possible landing sites" might not be the best idea..... Just sayin'......
Around here I've never had any problems with being sued. If someone gets hurt I just tape em up and it's a trip to the ER. I've noticed many times while reading through threads here where the word "sue" comes up alot. It seems more simple to just hash something out without getting lawyers involved.
I had a guy crush his foot in between the bucket and the loading arm on a Bobcat once and he was off for about a month. When he was let out of the hospital I let him know that I'll still be paying him while he's off and I'll keep his fridge stocked with beer for the pain. He smiled, shook my hand and all was good!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

""Sourdough I'm confused, with the many times that you've had to take it back in frustration you still go back to the same place? Have you ever thought about another dealership or maybe drive it through a touchless truck wash?""

I've pretty well got them trained now. Unfortunately I'm dealing with a new service manager but I'm getting him trained. They are the selling dealership and they are 60 miles away. The next dealership worth a flip is 2 1/2 hours away. We have no touchless truck washes and I would be worried about a machine messing up the top.

The comment about "nimble kids" still holds though; I think most RV places have a pretty high turnover from what I've seen so they're constantly cycling the nimble kids.....and they're the ones that get stuck washing/sealing roofs, putting on hitches etc. even though they know very little. It's pretty much just how it works.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
66joej

I don't know if I should even bring this up but I personally think a lot of this mentality to sue for this and sue for that was initially thought up by the law society in the US and Canada. They actually make a lot of money "fighting for you". JMHO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I don't know if I should even bring this up but I personally think a lot of this mentality to sue for this and sue for that was initially thought up by the law society in the US and Canada. They actually make a lot of money "fighting for you". JMHO
It's off topic but I'll throw my 2 cents in and then shut up. It is partially the lawyers but even more so, the degradation of our society and folks wanting something for nothing. As Steve S pointed out, used to be in a situation if a person tried to make it right that was good....and many times now that's the case. But, all too often someone sits and thinks about it dreaming about how they can benefit, call a lawyer that's all too willing to "go the extra mile" and all of a sudden a small, unintentional accident turns into some sort of monetary boondoggle for someone and some poor soul gets taken to the cleaners.

Now, back to falling off of the roof....with no more diversions for me!!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Someone needs to invent a rooftop roomba:

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #29
Javi

I think most of it is a remarkable inability to assume personal responsibility for one's own actions...

Javi
Old 03-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I think most of it is a remarkable inability to assume personal responsibility for one's own actions...

Javi

^^^^^x2
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #31
CrazyCain

I'm sure not to cheap to take to a dealer, that's for sure...Hands on guy that just takes pride in his work and was looking for different safe ways to do the roof maintence. Besides, thought my post was a bit humorous.. well up on the roof top i go................................................ ............................................

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof