Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
dherod

Solar Panel Question

Hi - my wife and I are planning to dry camp for a couple of weeks. We'll be able to refill water and dump gray water but we're going to be remote otherwise. This is our first trailer and we're used to dry camping in a tent so we're accustomed not to using much power. We hope to be able to buy a generator next year but it's just not in the cards this year.

I know there are components in the trailer that drain power all the time - clock, CO and LP detectors, etc. I have 2 good batteries wired in parallel.

My question is - does anyone know how 'big' of a solar panel I'd need to counteract that constant drain? I guess another option would be to hook up my TV every once in awhile and let that trickle charge the batteries? The place we're going is in southern CO and extremely sunny. If I could just counteract that constant drain, maybe the batteries would last a couple of weeks for the water pump, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks - and sorry for the long message. Dan
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
gmandi

i use a 45 watt solar system (from harbor freight) that works well for my cougar. keeps batteries full and never have to use the gernerator unless i need to run the a/c or watch some TV.
gmandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I have a Kyocera 85W panel which I use to keep the charge maintained on 2 6v golf cart type batteries (Trojans). This configuration seems to work well and is able to keep them charged.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
dherod

Thanks for the info. Cabela's has a smaller 15W model that I'm going to try. I have a bunch of points built up with them so it's not going to cost me much. The way gas prices are going I know the more I spend - the less miles I'm going to be able to tow this summer. The 15W might be too small for some things - but should work out if we're careful with our power. Thanks again.
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmandi View Post
i use a 45 watt solar system (from harbor freight) that works well for my cougar. keeps batteries full and never have to use the gernerator unless i need to run the a/c or watch some TV.
Did you install your HF system? If so, how did you do it? I'm interested in getting one, but haven't done so because I'm reluctant to just start drilling holes in my rubber roof and then find out that the system won't work unless it's angled at 10 degrees like the specs say... There's enough "roof air drag" already without adding that 3x3 ft panel at an elevated angle.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

When I purchased our Kyrocera 85w panel, I was not planning to mount it on the roof and having to drill more holes up there. There are enough already! Instead, I built a foldable easel - similar to a sandwich board and mount it on there. When not in use or travelling, I slide the panel into tracks that I made and fastened to the ceiling of the storage compartment.
At the campsite, I set it up and am able to move it from time to time so that it getting the best exposure to the sun. If we leave the campsite, I either store it again or secure it to the landing legs with a long, lockable cable.
I know that this kind of setup is not as convenient as having it on the roof - but it is not a big chore to set it up and has become part of the routine.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I thought about a separate stand, but wasn't sure about how durable the panels are. I'd be upset if I used a stand and the wind blew it over or a kid ran into it and broke it on the first day out LOL

I know there's no guarantees in life, (not even from Keystone) <G> so what has been your experience with damage or the "fear" that it may happen using your system?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, those hazards exist but so far the stand has not been blown over nor knocked down. I do, however take precautions to help prevent it being blown over. Sometimes, I move the stand so that it is either out of the wind or close enough to the RV or a picnic table so that it cannot topple over. At other times, I have folded the stand and laid it out on the ground (grassy area) or simply "anchored" it down with line and tent pegs..
I also fasten the panel to the stand so that the panel can't topple from it. Both would have to go.
We don't have any children, big or small, camping with us so I am not worried about OUR kids knocking it over.
We do have a dog with us - always on leash - and I keep an eye out to make sure her leash isn't wrapped any leg of the stand.
I fully agree that it is not as convenient as a roof-mount nor is it completely worry free. But it really doesn't take a lot of time to set up or take down. As long as you don't set it up and forget about it - you should be fine.
Besides, if you try using it this way and find that it is too much of a hassle, you can always mount it on your roof.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the panel isn't in as much "danger of damage" as I thought. I think next time we're in the "big city" I'm going to look at panels and see what is available. If the price is right, maybe even make the plunge. Thanks for the info

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
mikell

I think I'm going to order 2 of these today. They have built in charge controler and the shipping is covered by the discount. Now 2 6 volt batteries next fall and I'll be ready for anything.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1709_200381709

100 watts with charge controler $550 delivered. Looks good to me!
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote