Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
denverpilot

TrailerAid Plus and 312RE

Just thought I would share.

I picked up one of those TrailerAir Plus doohickeys thinking it might come in handy to do an emergency tire change on the road.

I knew many "wide spread" axle setups won't work with them, but my 312RE is NOT wide spread. So I figured I'd buy the thing and just give it a try.

The result: without additional blocking, you won't get a tire off of the ground...

More disturbing was noticing this, which is interesting considering this is just the normal travel of the suspension... But I have no plans to do any rock-crawling with a trailer on behind, so not too worried about it.

For those wondering, that dirt is rock hard and the TrailerAid didn't sink in at all. It would have taken many more inches of lift to get the other tire off the ground.

Anyway, was a fun exercise to see if the thing would work in an emergency. Guess not. I'll be carrying jacks and blocks...

And I have a TrailerAid Plus for sale I think. (I don't think I can return it to the place I got it from but I'm checking.)

Anyone need a TrailerAid plus for a smaller trailer?

Edit: The place will take it back on return... So it's going back.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Mike484

Just wondering.
If you did use the trailer aide plus, run the good tire up on it, then used your jack to lift the flat, wouldnt it make jacking up the flat much easier because you are only lifting the axle and not the weight of the entire trailer?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

With our tire mishap Monday I tried to use this same device on my trailer, which doesn't have spread axles either; it will not work without blocking, which I did. If you have one, or intend to buy one, make sure how it's going to work. It appears to me that it is intended for smaller tires....and mine are only 15s.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
gearhead

I use mine for bearing maintenance. It won't lift mine off the ground either. But I put a 1x6 under it and it works great. I'm going to have a few pieces of lumber anyway, so it is still easier than a jack.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
goducks

A bottle jack under the spring hangers is better. You only need to lift the tire 1.5-2" off the ground. With those goofy tire aides you're supporting the whole side of the trailer with just one axle. Using a bottle jack is no different than running the trailer up on a couple Lynx blocks for leveling.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^Good thought. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
A bottle jack under the spring hangers is better. You only need to lift the tire 1.5-2" off the ground. With those goofy tire aides you're supporting the whole side of the trailer with just one axle. Using a bottle jack is no different than running the trailer up on a couple Lynx blocks for leveling.
Same technique for installing wetbolts one side at a time.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
notanlines

Goducks is on the money, and very simply said I might add. A bottle jack (about $25 eh?) on the bracket where the spring meets the axle or on the spring shackle if the jack won't fit is about the easiest.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
CWSWine

I also have one and with the my new 5er with Mor-Ryde 4000 suspension with 4 inches of travel it would take lot blocks to get the tire off the ground to change. I probably going to jump on this one but I have 6 point Level Up and would use it to lift one side of 5er high enough to get tire off the ground and put a two jack stands under the spring mounts and pull the tire. Better yet I would call Coach Net and tell them to come change my tire
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Desert185

How far will Coach Net travel?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Coach Net to come change the tire? That's what I thought about Good Sam Roadside assistance, and when they couldn't find anyone, Geico roadside assistance, they couldn't either. Everyone was too busy to come out in a reasonable time; quickest one was 2 hours. They contacted everyone they could find, and everyone I could think of, within a 1 1/2 hr drive from me. At that point I said forget it, I'll change it.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
How far will Coach Net travel?
I can't comment on Coach Net since I haven't had to use them but we did have AAA and it took them almost 5 hours to get to me and I just had back surgery and couldn't change the truck tire on my own.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
Desert185

That's what I thought. I go to some remote locations and plan on being self-reliant when it comes to tire changes.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #14
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Just wondering.

If you did use the trailer aide plus, run the good tire up on it, then used your jack to lift the flat, wouldnt it make jacking up the flat much easier because you are only lifting the axle and not the weight of the entire trailer?

Ehh, not going to bother finding out. For other maintenance the thing needs to be cribbed or on jack stands anyway, so this was just a test to see if we could forego dragging along a bunch of gear, and just toss this plastic doohickey in the rear of the trailer for emergency tire changes.

Answer: Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post

This is usually how I do it, I just wanted to see if this thing worked.

Right now my concern is clearance for the jack(s) if a tire is truly flat. I've seen posts here mentioning folks are using low profile jacks, and I think I'd better make the "flat tire toolkit" have those.

Also seen folks mention to get the jacks rated for higher weight, since it'll just be easier to "get 'er done" than pumping on a jack barely rated to lift the thing.

My jacks at home are overrated for the job, but I don't want to travel with them. They're staying home.