Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
busterbrown

Best Campground(s) in the US that you've stayed at?

It would be nice to see where (new and experienced) campers prefer to stay around the country. Didn't see a generalized thread, only specific regional recommendations. It would be nice to read which parks nationally (private, state, and national) are highly recommended. May help some members (including me) plan future trips.

Since this is my first camper, I'll begin with my limited past tenting experiences.

Silver Lake Resort and Campground, Mears, MI due to its proximity to Lake Michigan's sand dunes, access to ATV rentals, rides, shore line swimming.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The definition of "best campground" would depend largely on what you're looking for at the time. Best for a "destination vacation" would differ significantly from "best" for an "overnight stay" while enroute. Amenities vary as do the need. A "mature couple" would probably want an entirely different environment than would a "family with multiple, energetic preschool age children". Having teens along changes the need from "playgrounds" to "game rooms", etc.

Enroute camping would likely be enhanced by "easy access to highways", proximity of a good place to eat supper without having to cook, access to fuel, level, pull through site, long enough to accommodate the entire rig without unhitching. Depending on the family makeup, it may (or may not) include a place for kids to "de-stress", showers close to the campsite, cable TV/internet access and other perks that some would use and others would not care if they were available.

So, "best campgrounds" varies significantly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The definition of "best campground" would depend largely on what you're looking for at the time.

So, "best campgrounds" varies significantly.
To use your example and to echo JRTJH's sentiments, the campground you mentioned would not really do much for the two us.

We are one of those "mature" couples who would not choose to go out in the dunes in an ATV. Nor would we be climbing up the sand dunes barefooted - unless they have an adjacent escalator. Rides on horses would make our mature bones ache and other rides would make us dizzy and sick. I gave up swimming in cold water years ago so that is out. Amenities for kids are great for those who camp with them but we try to find a site away from playgrounds and pools. Far too much noise and energy emanating from them.

So you see, I wouldn't put this campground at the top of my "best campground" list. What is highly recommended and "best" for you isn't our cup of tea.

Many people would have to have full hookups before even considering it as qualifying for a "best campground". We, on the other hand, really don't care. There are other criteria that are more important for us.

Best campgrounds are all over the spectrum. Here, one size doesn't fit all.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
busterbrown

I created this "subjective" thread as an public outlet for Keystone members to broadcast their favorite campgrounds across the nation for whatever reason imaginable. Inherently, I'm sure EVERYONE reading these forums understands that every person will have different criteria outlining their list of "best campgrounds". Again, the intent of the thread was to compile an opinionated list of exceptional campgrounds for what-ever reason imaginable. It would be remarkable to see 75 year old grandpa full-timing it in and around the dunes of Michigan, but it's highly unlikely. To dissect the levity of my original post just makes me laugh!

On that note, Ludington State Park, Ludington MI as it offers some up some of Michigan's best shore line, best hiking trails, and picturesque light houses.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
440justin

If you are looking to visit Nashville then Anderson Road Campground is pretty nice of you are OK with only water and electric hookups. They only have seven sits with the hookups, but the are all on the J Percy Priest Reservoir. The sites are spaced out very nicely and is only a 25min drive to downtown.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Laredo291OH

Lake George RV Park in Lake George NY
Fort Wilderness at Disney in Orlando
KOA in West Glacier MT
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
Floton

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I created this "subjective" thread as an public outlet for Keystone members to broadcast their favorite campgrounds across the nation for whatever reason imaginable. Inherently, I'm sure EVERYONE reading these forums understands that every person will have different criteria outlining their list of "best campgrounds". Again, the intent of the thread was to compile an opinionated list of exceptional campgrounds for what-ever reason imaginable. It would be remarkable to see 75 year old grandpa full-timing it in and around the dunes of Michigan, but it's highly unlikely. To dissect the levity of my original post just makes me laugh!

On that note, Ludington State Park, Ludington MI as it offers some up some of Michigan's best shore line, best hiking trails, and picturesque light houses.
Ludington StatePark X2
Floton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

We go to the dunes every year, always take the RZR, orange flag flying, and enjoy the weekend. We also have recently done the "mid Michigan dirtbike trail from Gladwin to Cheboygan". We snowmobile from Alpena to Traverse City and from Gaylord (across the bridge) to Iron Mountain/Marquette every winter. Seldom will you find our fifth wheel without either the boat or an ATV trailer hitched to the backend...............

We're in that "75 year old grandpa full-timing category" you speak of, so dissecting levity is as subjective as choosing "best" campgrounds........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Tbos

I think listing the favorite and why you choose it should work.

Based on my limited TT camping experience if you are civil service or military it's hard to beat Cheatham Annex in Yorktown VA. It is near Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, Norfolk, etc... Not much to do in the CG but lots to do and see in the area if you like history or amusement parks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post
If you are looking to visit Nashville then Anderson Road Campground is pretty nice of you are OK with only water and electric hookups. They only have seven sits with the hookups, but the are all on the J Percy Priest Reservoir. The sites are spaced out very nicely and is only a 25min drive to downtown.
Very nice. Thanks for the pics and info.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
gearhead

Here is one of my favorites. No water, no sewer, but has 50amp electricity!! Just don't park next to the big diesel generators. $500 for 4 days. Big rocks to walk on. Great scenery, short shorts and cowgirl boots walking down Georgetown Ave.
Yeah lot 4A Premium at Indy 500. Right off turn 4. I hope I can get my street side spot again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00835.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	10318  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Here is one of my favorites. No water, no sewer, but has 50amp electricity!! Just don't park next to the big diesel generators. $500 for 4 days. Big rocks to walk on. Great scenery, short shorts and cowgirl boots walking down Georgetown Ave.
Yeah lot 4A Premium at Indy 500. Right off turn 4. I hope I can get my street side spot again!!
Always wanted to RV it on race weekend. Maybe in a couple of years when the kids are older. How far in advance do you need book the premium lots at the speedway?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Always wanted to RV it on race weekend. Maybe in a couple of years when the kids are older. How far in advance do you need book the premium lots at the speedway?
I think we renewed last summer. Got a letter from them. I did notice they were sold out of the premiums last fall. Lots of other spots but no power.
Very few spots at any racetrack with power, well that I would want to pay. Some are $2000+. Bristol has a few. We snagged one last year.
You can get a spot at most tracks right up to the race weekend.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
GaryWT

As said, everyone likes something different and we like to do different trips, sometimes looking for a quiet place to relax and other times looking for a place with plenty of activities and pools etc. I am one that starts off wanting full hookups. Some of my favorites because they are just nice, and being clean helps.

Fransted Family Campground Franconia NH
Normandy Farms Foxboro MA (down the street from Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place)
Bay View on Cape Cod MA
Bayleys Old Orchard Beach ME

There are more that we love to go to but will leave it at that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #15
{tpc}

We have been to anderson road. Loved it! In fact I believe the pics posted where also of a site a friend of ours stayed on while we were there.

I also like 4 mile creek in the niagara area, in michigan...cheyboygan and harrisville (near alpena) state parks are nice. Oh cadillac was cool too.

I've yet to find a state run park in michigan I haven't liked, but not been to them all.

In ohio, we stay at Findley state park quite a bit and have enjoyed it.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
dwall

For me it would be Little Ocmulgee State Park in McRae, Ga. Only 20 minutes from home and it is beautiful. We are leaving tomorrow when I get off work for a weekend stay. I'm sure there are better stays but for the convenience I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwall View Post
For me it would be Little Ocmulgee State Park in McRae, Ga. Only 20 minutes from home and it is beautiful. We are leaving tomorrow when I get off work for a weekend stay. I'm sure there are better stays but for the convenience I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, if I can manage a quick 2 nighter on the weekend at a local campground in the spring, all the better! By Mid June, many of the local CG's near me are crowded as ever. We're off tomorrow to one of the local KOA's in Monroe MI with 3 kids in tow.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I also like 4 mile creek in the niagara area,
As we are new RV owners, the wife and I would like to visit Niagara Falls and camp on the Canadian side though. I'm not sure what's need to get us over the border with the trailer. Birth certificates for the children; wife and I have passports; Up to date vaccine shots of the dog; I'm assuming proper title and ownership paper work of the RV. Have you done it?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
As we are new RV owners, the wife and I would like to visit Niagara Falls and camp on the Canadian side though. I'm not sure what's need to get us over the border with the trailer. Birth certificates for the children; wife and I have passports; Up to date vaccine shots of the dog; I'm assuming proper title and ownership paper work of the RV. Have you done it?
The documents you mentioned - passports for the parents and BC's for the children will be sufficient. Don't forget your registrations papers for your tow vehicle in addition to those for your TT.

You might want to check into your health coverage while out of the USA. Not sure what kind of a medical plan you have, what it covers and if it will cover you in case of medical issues you might encounter while out of the US.

I am sure you are aware that our laws regarding firearms are quite different here. For example, you are not permitted to carry or transport them for "personal safety" reasons or to protect yourself against wildlife- the 4-footed variety. If you do bring them into Canada, permits and other documentation will be required to do so. Find out what all the regulations are regarding firearms beforehand if you plan to bring them into Canada.

It is a lot simpler just to leave all of your firearms - if you have them - at home.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #20
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I have a spot like that at Richmond, well, up until they ruined the tailgating lot. Right across the road from the daily tailgaters, who almost always put on a better show than the race itself. Four day race weekends are some of the best weekends even if you don't like racing. Scenery is always superb.