Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
mets721

327RES Bedroom TV mount issue

So, I went to mount the TV in the bedroom of my 327RES. Dealer told me there is a stud that runs down directly under the "LCD TV Mount Location" sticker. I used a digital stud finder and it indicated metal. So I started to drill and the bit went right through the outside wall!!!! Mount directions said to drill 3" pilot for the 2 3/4" lags. I got about two inches when it went through. There was no stud there!!!! On the phone now with warranty since it's only about 6 hours old. I sent them a picture of the hole and the sticker that says I was in the right spot. Anyone else have any issues like this? When put the same mount in my Jayco TT the stud was right where the sticker said it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	10218  
Old 04-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It is obvious that the manufacturer of your tv wall mount does not know how thick the outside wall of a new rv is. Those instructions are for a stick built house. Most of the time Keystone will only put a second layer of luan panel in the area marked for mounting and suggest using simple plastic dry-wall anchors with a max of 1 1/2 inch screws. If your mount is flush to the wall this will be fine ..... an extension swing arm will need a little more creative thinking.

The person you spoke to at the dealer is in my opinion, not the one who does this type of work.
Caulk the outside wall and back to the drawing board. I am positive that Keystone will not assume any responsibility for you drilling through the wall.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Yeah, we've probably done something like this too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets721 View Post
Thanks. Frustrated and feeling like an idiot. Do they sell touch up paint for covering the caulk?
Go to your home/building supply store, and check out the silicon caulks. There is probably one close to the color where you created the new 'ventilation' hole. These caulks will stick to about anything (DON'T use this on your roof!), and you probably won't need anything else. The other suggestion might be using a plastic pop rivet, but those generally only come in white, and honestly even if you used one, I would seal around it with silicon caulk.

BTW, the silicon caulk comes in tubes, and you will only need about small amount, and once you open it, it really only lasts a short while.

Good Luck.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote