Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
grampscamper

Deposit on a Reflection 337RLS yesterday

Wife and I went to look at a Grand Design Reflection 337 yesterday. We were very impressed to say the least. We traded in our Laredo 312RE.
We were offered such a good deal we couldn't pass it up. Won't be taking delivery until April. It's going to be a long winter!
I plan to stay on here as a member. I find the members to be very knowledgable and helpful.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats on your new purchase. I used to work on Grand Designs and I can say I was impressed with the quality of build. Enjoy and please do stick around, after all, all RV's are made pretty much made the same way with the same components.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. I used to work on Grand Designs and I can say I was impressed with the quality of build. Enjoy and please do stick around, after all, all RV's are made pretty much made the same way with the same components.
Thank you. Good to hear. We looked at them not long after they started up. I was apprehensive of purchasing such a new product at the time. It seems that they build a good unit. We love the floor plan and effective use of space. Should be a fairly safe purchase now.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 12-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
dcg9381

Congrats - I see what appears to be great pricing on 337s.

I took a quick look at their complaints and recognized one in common with a recent Keystone experience - basically that they were sold on a "larger" gray water tank that's really two small tanks that are independent:
http://www.bbb.org/northernindiana/b...ints#breakdown

Whats interesting is the outcome:
GD fixed it!
"Grand Design will immediately contact the customer and offer to have the upgraded large capacity gray tank installed at our factory at no cost to the consumer. "

Basically exact same issue, Keystone response:
"This response is in reference to your 2014 Keystone Fuzion. Keystone RV has taken great consideration in reviewing your concerns. After review of engineering specifications, facts showyour unit is built as designed. Fuzion 371 has three tanks, one tank is used for the 1/2 bath. At the time your unit was manufactured the tank reserved for the half bath was considered a grey tank. This tank has a capacity of 43 gallons. There is another gray tank in your unit, which also has a 43 gallon capacity, for a total of 86 gallons of gray water capacity. In newer units this is now considered a black tank. The specifications outlined are correct for your unit based on that date and time of production. Respectfully, will not be participating in modifications to this unit. Thank you, again, for bringing this matter to our attention. "

Components and many vendors look the same... Response to that particular issue was different!

Seems that you can have it serviced at non-purchasing dealers (in reality) also.

Comes with a cost, looks to be about 30% more than a similar Keystone product - at least on the toyhauler side...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Congrats - I see what appears to be great pricing on 337s.

I took a quick look at their complaints and recognized one in common with a recent Keystone experience - basically that they were sold on a "larger" gray water tank that's really two small tanks that are independent:
http://www.bbb.org/northernindiana/b...ints#breakdown

Whats interesting is the outcome:
GD fixed it!

"Grand Design will immediately contact the customer and offer to have the upgraded large capacity gray tank installed at our factory at no cost to the consumer. "

Components and many vendors look the same... Response to that particular issue was different!

Seems that you can have it serviced at non-purchasing dealers (in reality) also.

Comes with a cost, looks to be about 30% more than a similar Keystone product - at least on the toyhauler side...
Thanks for the info. Ours wouldn't be effected. Ours is a recent build. I'm surprised to read this. Seems like quite an oversight at the factory. Yes I'm quite happy with the deal we got on ours.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
GaryWT

Congrats and good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Alpine

Congratulation for sure! Enjoy!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #8
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Wife and I went to look at a Grand Design Reflection 337 yesterday.
As I dream about the "next trailer", increasingly I keep seeing / turning to Grand Design. Won't buy anything until cash in hand ... purchase is still a couple years off. Still happy with the floor plan of our 'entry level' trailer so the waiting isn't too bad!

Looking forward to your first impressions and feedback after your first couple trips.

Congratulations!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
gearhead

Grand Design is good looking. We almost bought one. The larger refrigerator pushed us in the Montana.
I think I read somewhere the founders of GD were Thor execs.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:39 AM   #10
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Grand Design is good looking. We almost bought one. The larger refrigerator pushed us in the Montana.
I think I read somewhere the founders of GD were Thor execs.
We took a good look at the Montana also. Very nice unit!!! I'm not sure what size fridge you have but the Grand Design comes with a 4 door fridge option. That was a "must" on our list of requirements. I'm glad we have so many different manufacturers and floor plans to choose from.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 12-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Steve S

This trailer is very nice, the floor layout is very well appointed and they actually did some thinking
What I see and don't like in the pics is there seems to be a step from the slide that's in front of the stove and that'll cause a person to lean forward while cooking. This would be painful on the back plus you'll be leaning over the heat while cooking.
I still don't understand why manufacturers still make their slides this way as they can have the slides drop to floor level.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
dcg9381

Quote:
Seems like quite an oversight at the factory. Yes I'm quite happy with the deal we got on ours.
I don't think it was an oversight. I think it was creative advertising. If you've got 2 x 30 gallon gray water tanks, they advertised it as a 60 gallon tank. Keystone has done the same thing....

I'm just shocked that it was corrected... That's great customer service.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
grampscamper

Quote:
I don't think it was an oversight. I think it was creative advertising. If you've got 2 x 30 gallon gray water tanks, they advertised it as a 60 gallon tank. Keystone has done the same thing....

I'm just shocked that it was corrected... That's great customer service.
Yes. I would agree. Almost everything I read and hear about their customer service seems positive. I sent an email to them this morning with a question and I had an answer from their regional service manager within 2 hours. Now that's good customer service!

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 12-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
dcg9381

Any insight on how they manage to get "any" dealer to service one? The only way I see that happening is not paying reduced-rate labor.

Looking at local dealers, I've got two, but both dealers have *horrid* reputations in the service side... Like bad enough that I wouldn't even consider it...

Perhaps it's made up on the factory support side...
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #15
grampscamper

Quote:
Any insight on how they manage to get "any" dealer to service one? The only way I see that happening is not paying reduced-rate labor.

Looking at local dealers, I've got two, but both dealers have *horrid* reputations in the service side... Like bad enough that I wouldn't even consider it...

Perhaps it's made up on the factory support side...
My experience, at least where I live is dealers get extremely busy when you need service the most. The RV industry is growing at a phenomenal rate. It's getting increasingly difficult to find a dealer that offers good service.
To be honest I have very little experience with Grand Design or their service. I can only make decisions based on what I read in forums and by talking to owners in my travels.
We think the Reflection offers very good value and we love the floor plan. We're very comfortable with our decision.
If dealers in your area are known for "horrid" service it certainly makes the decision much more difficult.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
goducks

Only issue I have with GD products is that they only offer one color choice on the interior. Would be nice to have 2-3 like most other MFGs. They do have a good CS department. All RVs have issues and don't think that GD doesn't. Just go read on their owners forum for awhile. No better/no worse than others. Most of the worse part is like every other MFG they're locked into buying cheap components that RV suppliers offer.
Get rid of the Lippert, Furrion, Jensen, cheap ST tires stuff, etc and dealers would hardly see owners for warranty work. There's just too much cheap junk in all RVs for any of them to be trouble free. It's built in security for dealers.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
dcg9381

Quote:
My experience, at least where I live is dealers get extremely busy when you need service the most. The RV industry is growing at a phenomenal rate. It's getting increasingly difficult to find a dealer that offers good service.
Of course they're busy when most people are camping. Dealer reputation for service does vary quite a bit around here and you do need to parse out the service reviews from the reviews on sales... I'm not saying that all the dealers are bad, just saying that the local GD dealer seems to have a poor service reputation.

"Reflection offers very good value" - what are the value points to you? Not challenging you at all on this, I'm just curious.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
grampscamper

Quote:
Of course they're busy when most people are camping. Dealer reputation for service does vary quite a bit around here and you do need to parse out the service reviews from the reviews on sales... I'm not saying that all the dealers are bad, just saying that the local GD dealer seems to have a poor service reputation.

"Reflection offers very good value" - what are the value points to you? Not challenging you at all on this, I'm just curious.
I think in the price range they offer a nicely finished, well equipped RV. The basement area, docking station, woodwork and furniture is as nice or nicer than anything else we looked at. Everything seems to be well thought out. It meets most of our wants also. We like the pantry cupboard, kitchen island, under bed storage, large bedroom closet, fireplace, theatre seating directly across from the tv, minimal carpeting, 4 door fridge that's accessible with slides in, auto levelling, high gloss fiberglass, rear hitch, large sliding windows, abundant storage, LED lighting, large shower etc. etc. When my wife and I saw it we said it was the one! The floor plan, at least for us was perfect and it was within our budget.
We were able to negotiate a good deal. We looked at several units. This model just worked best for us.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB