Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Camp

Satellite prep

We now have a 2011 hornet platinum. It says that it is preped for satellite. There is only a single hookup out side and the same inside with the air antenna with the amp. I can't get the satellite to go through this cable and it says preped for satellite. Can anyone explain how this is suppose to work then. The other trailer I had to take off a cable and put in another hookup but then it won't go to the bedroom. This should be easier than this.
what are they thinking? Also this ent. center is in the middle of the trailer so not able to go through the wall to add another hookup outside. What have you done to solve this issue?
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
DocData757

To pass anything through the 'cable' connection, the amp needs to be turned off.

I recommend hooking up your satellite direct from the dish to the receiver first to make sure everything is working as you would expect. Then, route the signal through the camper wiring.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Sattelite

I recently posted my trials and tribulations and expense on this subject. Learn from my experience and save time, energy and money.....I have a 2011 Outback fifth wheel with 2 o/s ports as you are discussing for your sat port. Mine are "cable" and "sattelite"... I had the identical issue. Unfortunately for me; I voided my warranty by allowing DISH to direct wire my feed and they disconnected internal cable feed in doing so. $350 later and complete rewire at a Keystone RV dealer; I am now good

DO a direct feed check by going directly to the receiver. Also, best to turn your "booster" for the antenna "off", BUT, for sattelite I was apprised no impact....only impacts "cable" feed.

Upon returning from Florida where we used cable; I could not get DISH to work....much chagrin

FIRST AND FOREMOST: CALL YOUR CABLE COMPANY. IE; DISH SENT ME TO India....after 3 calls and 2 hours; I "politely" requested USA agent. I expressed my issue. The US DISH agent transferred me to the RV department; yes, they have one. In 45 minutes I was 100% satisfied. TRY IT !! You'll be glad you did.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
I recently posted my trials and tribulations and expense on this subject. Learn from my experience and save time, energy and money.....I have a 2011 Outback fifth wheel with 2 o/s ports as you are discussing for your sat port. Mine are "cable" and "sattelite"... I had the identical issue. Unfortunately for me; I voided my warranty by allowing DISH to direct wire my feed and they disconnected internal cable feed in doing so. $350 later and complete rewire at a Keystone RV dealer; I am now good

DO a direct feed check by going directly to the receiver. Also, best to turn your "booster" for the antenna "off", BUT, for sattelite I was apprised no impact....only impacts "cable" feed.

Upon returning from Florida where we used cable; I could not get DISH to work....much chagrin

FIRST AND FOREMOST: CALL YOUR CABLE COMPANY. IE; DISH SENT ME TO India....after 3 calls and 2 hours; I "politely" requested USA agent. I expressed my issue. The US DISH agent transferred me to the RV department; yes, they have one. In 45 minutes I was 100% satisfied. TRY IT !! You'll be glad you did.
My new Outback also has inputs for sat and cable. I havn't had time to check to see what there is on the inside. Are both cables connected to your batwing antenna? I was talking to Winegard when I was going to hoo up sat in my previous trailer and was told that sat wouldn't work through the batwing amp. I ran a dedicated sat cable input to the entertainment center and was ready to go, but I traded the trailer before I could complete the project. It seems that the better way would be to have the sat cable connected diretly to the receiver and the cable/ant cable going to the amp and then to the sat receiver so you could select the source at the sat receiver. My home receiver has capabilities for different inputs. I'm really not looking forward to getting into this.

Just curious, why did the rewire void your warranty if the dealer put it back to original configuration?

Edit: I just looked at the booklet for the antenna and amp that came with my Outback. it's the same amp that I had in my previous trailer which has inputs for cable and antenna, and two outputs, one on the front for the main TV and another output cable going to a second television jack. So, I guess I'm confused. What does your satellite cable plug into?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Camp

Unhappy satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
To pass anything through the 'cable' connection, the amp needs to be turned off.

I recommend hooking up your satellite direct from the dish to the receiver first to make sure everything is working as you would expect. Then, route the signal through the camper wiring.
Yes I did do that and it works fine through the door and direct to receiver.
I have just the cable hookup out side and the regular booster hookup inside.
The brochure for the trailer says it has the coax upgrade for satellite and preped. what does that mean if you can't hook your coax to it?
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Jim W

"Yes I did do that and it works fine through the door and direct to receiver.
I have just the cable hookup out side and the regular booster hookup inside.
The brochure for the trailer says it has the coax upgrade for satellite and preped. what does that mean if you can't hook your coax to it?
"

This will allow you to hook-up to cable TV, at an RV park that offers cable TV.

I hard wire my satellite connection in to the bottom of the slide-out floor. Everyone's camper is different and unique to that model of camper. So one fix will not work for every one.
I have a 318SAB, that the entrainment center is part of a desk and cabinet arrangement, that is in a slide-out on the curb side. I was able to drill a hole for a satellite junction connection, that is weather proof in the floor under the cabinet. I then removed the Radio/DVD/CD player so as to gain access to the entry hole in the outside wall of the slide, were all the cables are pass-thru. I then ran the cable thought this hole and up the wall to the egress hole for the TV, that is on top of the desk. My satellite receiver sits on the desk and the cable connects to this. I now have a weather tight connection that I can use the satellite dish or use the TV antenna, my choice.

Jim w
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Sattelite and cable

Bob,

My RV is on spot in the mountains of N Georgia. Not planning a trip up until mid month (home commitments). You may have moved to the next level before I ever get up there and back.

I'll check and try to respond to your questions after I make that trip.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
jerry

sat connection

We have bullet 278 had similar problem I fixed it by connecting the input from outside connection to the input on reciever, net from the out of reciever to amp. You will have to take screws out amp. to get to the connections. I had to make a wooden horseshoe shaped spacer to put amp back to orginal position. Turn off the amp to watch sat. turn on amp and reciever off to watch regular tv
Hope this helps
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote