Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Maxzd

Satellite Receiver

I spend the last few evenings setting up my new manual Satellite Dish in the driveway. I wanted to figure out the wiring in the 5th Wheel, plus make sure the unit actually worked before heading out on the road.

After pulling the wall plates and determining which coax cable is what, it was straightforward to get the receiver to work with the new dish.

My question to those running Satellite, what did you do with your satellite receiver? My entertainment center isn't deep enough to fit a satellite receiver into it. So I could stand the unit on it's side and wire everything and put brackets so it won't move around... I am debating if I should create a permanent shelf in the RV basement for the satellite receiver near the pre-wired coax satellite outlet. Then I just splice the wire and it's already going up to the TV. That way plenty of room for the receiver, and either fish an IR blaster up to the TV for the remote or use the UHF remote so no problem changing channels.

Thoughts? What have the rest of you done with your sat receivers?

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
cpaulsen

I built a small shelf in the opening for my entertainment center. Was enough room above my tv when its installed. My Dish HD receiver sits right there with no problem. Of course....when I began a year ago..there was a small shelf right where the tv was going to go. We use a 32" Vizio and that would not fit in the space provided. Out goes the shelf which opened up a lot more room.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I built a small shelf in the opening for my entertainment center. Was enough room above my tv when its installed. My Dish HD receiver sits right there with no problem. Of course....when I began a year ago..there was a small shelf right where the tv was going to go. We use a 32" Vizio and that would not fit in the space provided. Out goes the shelf which opened up a lot more room.
Interesting idea, thanks for sharing. I wish that would work for my setup but because the slide closes within inches of the TV the shelf wouldn't clear..

The picture below is the entertainment center open.. Looks like there should be no problem but is deceiving. Lots of "storage space", but shallow as it gets no room for electronics at least if you want them sitting flat. The depth of the lower cabinets is about 8" and only slightly more at the top. I have a pretty old satellite receiver, I might take a look at a newer model see if that will fit. Ideally I want a playstation 3 or Xbox 360 in there too. Might have to play around with it.. After posting the picture, I thought maybe have to mount it on the very top add a shelf. It does clear the slide height. The DW has other ideas wants to put a bunch of decor stuff up there. Maybe your idea might work after all if I get there first!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
THedges

I had the same problem. I think I only have about 6" of depth.

I have Directv, so I ordered their standard definition box, it's pretty narrow. I used 90* cable adapters on the back to save some room. I put a little velcro on the bottom and works great!
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Camp

Wink Direct TV Receiver

I have the same problem with my new trailer. I only have about 8 inches deep and with the cables on the back it stickes out too far. I found that it will work any direction as long as it can pick up the remote command. I got a small wire shelf stand from the dollar store and stood it behind the tv and stood the receiver on it's face. It works. I need to secure it for travel yet. I guess every thing with these are trial and error.
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
jje1960

Sat receiver

Same same here... lack of depth on the shelf is a pain in the SRX. We are going with the top shelf, drill holes for the coax. Unfortunately, attempting to put in out of the way places does not allow the IR remote to manipulate the box, so the top shelf is it. Also bought a splitter so the front and rear tv's can watch the Sat at the same time, obviously they can't watch separate channels without another box. When the on-air vs sat is being used, they can watch separate channels though.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Ruffus

Thumbs up DISH HD two in one works great.

After having Direct TV for 15 years we went to DISH for our RV because Direct would not service our RV since we don't have a house (fulltiming). The unit that DISH gave us works great for two TV's. The main HD TV (40 inch VIZIO) in the living area works off a infra red remote so you have to be in line to see the DISH receiver. The TV in the bedroom can be watched on seperate channels and can be operated without a line of sight because that remote works off of radio signals. This is great for two people who don't always agree on programs. Oh yeh the bedroom TV will not operate on HD and that is because of the radio signals. Small price to pay for seperate programming.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
jje1960

Pretty neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
After having Direct TV for 15 years we went to DISH for our RV because Direct would not service our RV since we don't have a house (fulltiming). The unit that DISH gave us works great for two TV's. The main HD TV (40 inch VIZIO) in the living area works off a infra red remote so you have to be in line to see the DISH receiver. The TV in the bedroom can be watched on seperate channels and can be operated without a line of sight because that remote works off of radio signals. This is great for two people who don't always agree on programs. Oh yeh the bedroom TV will not operate on HD and that is because of the radio signals. Small price to pay for seperate programming.
That's pretty neat having two tv's on one box. My direct tv dish is multi LNB, just don't want to pay for another box (or take another from the house) for the RV.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
D Waurd

Is it possible

I just bought and set up my new 2011 Laredo 303TG. I set up the DirecTV 18" Round Standard Definition dish and ran the coax cable to the external "Cable/Satellite" input port on the back end of the camper. In the back bedroom (kids bunkhouse), there are three coax connection points. One of which has a 12 V power outlet on it. I understand that one is for use with the over the air antenna signal. That one has a power booster on it, which I currently have in the off position. The other two are on the same plate and had a small coax cable going between them. I removed the small cable and plugged cable going from the top port into one of my satellite receivers. I then ran the cable from the "out to tv" port on the receiver to the small TV I have in that back room (for the kids). And cool - the kids TV has satellite receiption. But then I didn't get any signal on our second satellite receiver we place in the living room entertainment center. So I went to the kids room and unplugged the coax cable from the TV and plugged it into the buttom port on the double port plate. I went back to the entertainment center and removed the second receiver from the equation and plugged the wall hidden coax cable directly into the living room TV. I then had satellite receiption on the living room TV but not the TV in the kids room.

Long story short, is it possible to have two receivers hooked up off of the one line coming in from the external "Cable/Satellite" port? If not, do the kids in the back have to watch the same channel we are watching in the living room on just one receiver? I hear that you can't split the cable before getting to the receiver, so how am I suppose to hook-up two receivers on one line?

I hope I was clear enough on my explanation of my situation.
D Waurd is offline   Reply With Quote