Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
bwright

Dealer Responsibility

We are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel and were looking at a Montana High Country last week. CW gaves us a great trade in on the TT and weighed the truck on the scales on the way to the dealer. Very disappointed in the fact that I would be overloaded with this Fifth Wheel.

My question is, how can these dealers tell you that you will be fine with the weight of the trailer with no regards to GVWR or pin weight? Is there not any responsibility or liability on their part? The salesman did everything within his power to convince me it was no problem.

Just happy that I passed the 6th grade in Alabama!

2015 Montana High Country 353RL
2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Powerstroke
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
gearhead

Apparently there isn't any liability. Keystone was advertising the Montana HC as 3/4 ton towable. Ain't no way. And I told them.
Our 2014 305RL was advertised as 2175 pin weight. Add the bedroom A/C, 2 batteries, propane, washer/dryer, tools, chairs, grill, wife's 28 pair of shoes and I'm at 3,000#. Throw in the 5th hitch weight and I'm maxed out.
Thinking 2017 Ford dually.
And....good for you doing the research and turning the deal down.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright View Post
We are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel and were looking at a Montana High Country last week. CW gaves us a great trade in on the TT and weighed the truck on the scales on the way to the dealer. Very disappointed in the fact that I would be overloaded with this Fifth Wheel.

My question is, how can these dealers tell you that you will be fine with the weight of the trailer with no regards to GVWR or pin weight? Is there not any responsibility or liability on their part? The salesman did everything within his power to convince me it was no problem.

I think if you were to look at the sales agreement or whatever documents you signed at the time sale, you will find a statement in there somewhere that says something to the effect that it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the tow vehicle is capable of towing the purchased RV --- or words to that effect. I believe there is also another statement saying that the dealership is not responsible this.

I'll check my records and see if I can find the exact wording in the bill of sale.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
bwright

I am sure that you are correct about the sales statement, but when the salesman gets three other employees to to tell you that they hook up 3/4 tons all week, how can that be responsible?

Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Pull Toy

"Truth in advertising?"

Report their claim of compatability to DMV and BBB if you are willing to sign a complaint. If you hadn't done the math, you'd have been liable, based on their "mis-statements!"

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

My mistake. I've checked the sales agreement and can't find anything in there about tow vehicles. Thinking back , I seem to recall that I was advised - verbally - it was up to me to make sure that the TV was within its limit to safely tow the Cougar that we purchased.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the "disclaimer" listed at the bottom of the Keystone.com webpage:

"Tow Vehicle: Caution. Owners of Keystone recreational vehicles are solely responsible for the selection and proper use of tow vehicles. All customers should consult with a motor vehicle manufacturer or their dealer concerning the purchase and use of suitable tow vehicles for Keystone products. Keystone disclaims any liability or damages suffered as a result of the selection, operation, use or misuse of tow vehicle. Keystone's limited warranty does not cover damage to the recreational vehicle or the tow vehicle as a result of the selection, operation, use or misuse of the tow vehicle."

It seems fairly clear that Keystone is not going to be "trapped" by the dealership's "sales misinformation"... With the last two trailers I've purchases, (2010 and 2013) I had to sign a document that Keystone and the dealership were not responsible for any issues resulting from tow vehicle incompatibility. I'm on the road right now and don't have a copy of the sales agreement handy, but it was worded similar to the disclaimer that's on the Keystone website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
CWtheMan

You know, RV trailers now have everything right up front about their total weight, published pin weight, total axle weight, tire size and recommended inflation pressures. Plus a cargo placard.

Tow vehicles also have similar placards and cargo information.

RV trailer dealers have no requirement to train their staff on tow vehicle specifications or capabilities.

Here is a snip from a NHTSA Q&A about RV weights. I'm sure it would also apply to truck capabilities.

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.

We often see these lessons learned the hard way.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #9
TomHaycraft

Quote:

I agree with you, seems criminal. However, as soon as RV dealers take any responsibility, I can see our twisted system backing them into the corner with frivolous lawsuits. I guess for them, better they wash their hands of this and claim no responsibility ... regardless of how the trailers are advertised or what the salesmen tell us.

Buyer beware, do your homework.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

The first TT I purchased I was told before I signed on the dotted line that they were liable if they allowed me to tow it off the lot with the current TV I had because it was under sized. But they would deliver it to my home free of charge if I signed a waiver saying I did not tow it from their lot.
I upgraded my TV and all was fine. When I got my first fiver from them they checked the sticker on the door jamb along with my tires and said I was good to go. This was a small mom & pop dealer. When I bought my Cougar from the big national chain They never even asked what I would be towing with .... but they did let me keep the pen.
What I'm trying to say is: Laws and the enforcement of them vary from state to state so it is "Buyer Beware" and a good thing YOU did your homework and kudos to your Alabama sixth grade math teacher.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Tikitim

The RV dealer will tell you just about anything to make that sale. The truck dealer will sell you the truck that you want for your current needs. It would be totally ludacrist for someone to go after the truck dealer because they went from a 21ft TT to 36 ft 5er without checking out all ratings, the dealer doesn't know what you will be doing with it in the future. Glad you did your grade six homework.

Gearhead, your wife only brings 28 pairs of shoes???

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitim View Post
The RV dealer will tell you just about anything to make that sale. The truck dealer will sell you the truck that you want for your current needs. It would be totally ludacrist for someone to go after the truck dealer because they went from a 21ft TT to 36 ft 5er without checking out all ratings, the dealer doesn't know what you will be doing with it in the future. Glad you did your grade six homework.

Gearhead, your wife only brings 28 pairs of shoes???

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The 28 pair of shoes is an old story from about 1978. We rented a pop-up to take to the hunting camp over Thanksgiving and the wife brought +/- 28 pair of shoes. You need that many shoes to sit around camp with the other girls??

She also learned how to make it rain in a pop-up. Close all ventilation and make a lot of pasta.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
mazboy123

a rver friend and I just had this discussion....to us, the bottom line is get what you want, forget the GVWR issue and your 3/4 ton truck. take a look around you and you'll see that 75% of the trucks are 3/4 ton trucks.

the numbers are there but I would not lose any sleep over it and if the price is right buy the RV.

Just my opinion but that is the reality of it....if you worried about the numbers you'd see RVers driving F550 or F650s.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #14
mark1228

Quote:

Ok so help me understand your concern. Looking at Keystone's website on the High Country models, the heaviest one they show has an empty weight of just over 12000 lbs. The heaviest pin weight of any model on the website is under 2500 lbs.

You have a 2014 F250 with a 6.7L diesel. I don't know what cab configuration you have or axle ratio is in your truck but according to ford.com, the F250 6.7L with the lowest 5th wheel tow rating is 15900 lbs so it appears to me you would be well within your limits on any of the High Country models. What am I missing?
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
gearhead

^^^ I assumed he was looking at pin weight vs. the 3/4 load capacity. By the time he got the propane, batteries, and bedroom A/C he would likely be at, or close to, load capacity. That wouldn't include any personal stuff.
But that's just me assuming.
I also assume about 50% of 5th wheels on the road that are not dually are overloaded.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #16
bwright

Dealer Responsibility

Gear head, you are correct, the dealer just wanted to focus on the max tow capacity which is no problem. The problem is the pin weight. I weighed the truck and it came in at 8020 lbs. with me in it and a full tank of gas. That leaves me only 1,980 lbs for the pin weight of the Fifth wheel fully loaded minus the wife.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1228 View Post

Ok so help me understand your concern. Looking at Keystone's website on the High Country models, the heaviest one they show has an empty weight of just over 12000 lbs. The heaviest pin weight of any model on the website is under 2500 lbs.

You have a 2014 F250 with a 6.7L diesel. I don't know what cab configuration you have or axle ratio is in your truck but according to ford.com, the F250 6.7L with the lowest 5th wheel tow rating is 15900 lbs so it appears to me you would be well within your limits on any of the High Country models. What am I missing?
I am a little amazed also that you don't think you can carry that 5er? It's dry weight is only about 200# more than our current 5er and the GVWR of it is about 140# more, we carry 10,000 on our TV and do just fine and ours is a 2001. Most 3/4 tons are SRW one tons de-rated for registration or tax reasons.

I didn't stop at a scale before we bought ours, we just hooked up before signing the papers, and the TV did squat only about 1-1/4".

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Pmedic4

Truck Capacity for towing and load

Well, I finally am upgrading my old truck in for a new RAM 2500. To fit with what everyone here is mentioning about the Dealer(s), being both the RV and the Tow Vehicle, when I signed the papers, I was handed a document with the truck that specifically gave the load capacity and also the towing capacity. Didn't get that with my older truck, but that was 9 years ago, so I'm would believe there is somewhat more emphasis being put on the vehicle capacities.

I had mentioned before, but noted some of the current 1500 (F-150) load capacity actually exceeds my old 2500, so there are some differences to be noted. I wasn't sure if the trucks are 'heavier duty', or just have 'adjusted' capacities???

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
gearhead

Looks don't count. Here's what a F350 with Montana HC 305RL looks like that is at or over max payload, depending on the shoe count:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00363.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	9169  
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
Gear head, you are correct, the dealer just wanted to focus on the max tow capacity which is no problem. The problem is the pin weight. I weighed the truck and it came in at 8020 lbs. with me in it and a full tank of gas. That leaves me only 1,980 lbs for the pin weight of the Fifth wheel fully loaded minus the wife.
Wow, that weighs in at about 800 lbs heavier than my 2011 Silverado 2500 weighed. That makes no sense that Ford would build a 250 that heavy with only a 10,000 GVWR. Are you sure you didn't have a load of bricks in the back that you forgot about?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote